Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Drop leafs or shackle/hanger for dragrace

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop leafs or shackle/hanger for dragrace

I currently have shackles and the overload removed and I am still way higher in the back. Stock springs up front. I think removing to much weight out back and adding to much out front is a big problem with my truck . I would like 1.25-1.5 more drop in the rear. The issue gets worse when I mount the 315's on the rear because they are 30" and my front runners are 27". I know moving to a fuel cell and battery relo would help , but money and keeping my truck stockish are isssues. A friend has suggested adding dead weight to the rear and that would balance the truck better and bring the rear down more. The truck blows the 315's off like I am launching in the water box. I have qa1 up front , but new to change the stock ones out of the rear. comments please...
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

A flip kit works the best with cal tracs, you can use a lift shackle to raise the rear back up if it is too low. The shackle that you have on there now makes the rear of the leaf spring sit much higher that the front spring eye which is known to decrease forward bite. Bringing the rear of the leaf spring down and raising the front spring eye in relation does the opposite and increases forward bite. Also, try to get your truck to sit as close to level as possible and make improvements in the front suspension to allow for at least 5"s of extension. Weight distribution and additional weight in the rear will help too.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for your input! I agree with what you are saying and I feel leafs are my best bet the. A flip even with a lift shackle will be a 5" drop and I need a 3.5" rear drop. Don't want the front any lower due to a low hung air to air intercooler up front.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
02 w/ lowest mileage 2800

I've heard bad things about drop leafs on here for drag duty since they don't have enough positive arch and they tend to unload the tires. I think if you don't want to go with the flip kit then to get a McGauphy's lowering hanger since it has two adjustment holes and between that and the adjustment in your shackle you should be able to get the desired drop you want.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes Sir! You are correct. I have heard that as well. I was leaning toward new leafs because my chevy lean is so bad in the back. I will swap them left yo right when I do the hangers and see how that goes.
THANKS for discussing this with me and offering your knowledge and opinion!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Remove all leafs but one and leave over load leaf. Cal tracs. 60Ft low 1.5 high 1.4 on drag radials with 118k mile shocks. Heat front springs to ride height desired. Leave stock shock up front.

Just sayin
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Stock shackles and hangers......8 degree shim.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Junkie

truck sits way to high in the back like that red truck, dont know why...
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Ive lowered many trucks this way. If it sits too high something is in a bind or its still got the bump stops attached to the bed. Single spring with overload should sit WAY down.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

It is on 2springs. No overload. And 2"shackles shackles and it is higher than all other trucks with the same done. She is a freak.

Quick Reply: Drop leafs or shackle/hanger for dragrace