Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Drop leafs or shackle/hanger for dragrace

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut the straps holding the leafs together with a cutoff wheel on a grinder, then pull it straight out. Piece of cake. Once u get it low enough, use a short block on one side to "level" it up if you need to.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Red Truck
There is no way to get the pinion angle correct with a "in the weeds" truck due to crappy lowering hangers, without cutting perches off and re welding them in the correct position. Its either a flip kit or raise it back up. Different strokes for different folks. My truck rides great for my comfort level so im happy with it. Just giving the guy other options that work for us.
Are you saying that my belltech 4" shackle and hanger kit is a "in the weeds" kit that won't have the correct pinion angle? In result.. which won't hook up best in a drag racing environment? .. compared to a flip kit

Originally Posted by slowec
Remember now my front springs are stock 12 year old 4.8 springs and my rear springs have the overload removed and have 2"shackles in the back and the back is still 1.5 high on the right and 1.25 high on the left. I just want it down in the back so it is even. I am using homemade long bars, but I have dropped them to make sure they are not binding or keeping the rear up. I will take pics when I swap the leafs out. Can you get that left front leaf bolt out with the fuel tank still in? in? Would like to swap leafs left to right when I try the middle leaf instead of the overload. THANKS for all the input.
Rodney, I believe most people correct the "chevy lean" with a spacer on the front left coil spring.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

I have a spacer in the random crap box because it didnt fix mine

Its not a huge deal to get the spring perches cut and welded to fix the pinion angle for a correct suspension with a good ride since you have a dd here. if you dont want any lower than a 4" drop i would do hangers and shackles with cut and welded perches. i think it would be hard to beat.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble
Are you saying that my belltech 4" shackle and hanger kit is a "in the weeds" kit that won't have the correct pinion angle? In result.. which won't hook up best in a drag racing environment? .. compared to a flip kit

Rodney, I believe most people correct the "chevy lean" with a spacer on the front left coil spring.

Hangers effectively raise the forward mounting point of the spring. Turning the pinion higher. I havent seen a truck yet that I could get enough pinion angle in with lowered hangers. Not saying it wont work just stating what ive seen in my own truck and countless others. In order to 60 ft well with leafs, pinion angle is a big part of the equation in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
I have a spacer in the random crap box because it didnt fix mine

Its not a huge deal to get the spring perches cut and welded to fix the pinion angle for a correct suspension with a good ride since you have a dd here. if you dont want any lower than a 4" drop i would do hangers and shackles with cut and welded perches. i think it would be hard to beat.
That will work also. But it would be even faster with a monoleaf in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Changing the front to fix the rear is backwards (again in my opinion). Corner weights are semi important at his power level and I would concern myself more with weight bias and pinion angle rathee than shimming the front left spring effectively adding 70 pounds to the right rear when it may not be nessecary
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Hangers effectively raise the forward mounting point of the spring. Turning the pinion higher. I havent seen a truck yet that I could get enough pinion angle in with lowered hangers. Not saying it wont work just stating what ive seen in my own truck and countless others. In order to 60 ft well with leafs, pinion angle is a big part of the equation in my opinion.
So putting lowering shackles in addition to the lowering hangers would not help correct the pinion angle?

.. Its either a flip kit or raise it back up...
Does a flip kit gives optimal pinion angles for a good 60ft?

I have zero experience with flip kits..

Last edited by DoubleTrouble; 11-06-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

My pinion angle was up a few degrees. cant remember the amount off hand. after the flip kit.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Fastest D1 Procharged Truck

i had to use a set of 8 degree shims to get mine at -4 with my shackle hanger setup
Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble
So putting lowering shackles in addition to the lowering hangers would not help correct the pinion angle?

Does a flip kit gives optimal pinion angles for a good 60ft?

I have zero experience with flip kits..
Hangers and shackles change the angle of the leafs themselves while changing the height of the axle, both changes the pinion angle.

Flip kit only changes the height of the axle, only changing the pinion angle in that manner.