Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Dumbest thing I ever did

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great stories in here. I've had the OH **** feeling with the throttle blade sticking open. It happened to me when I had the carb'd sbc in my truck. Was drag racing a buddy after practice in high school getting on the freeway. Traffic was coming up so we both let off but my truck kept going. Scared the **** out of me. The return spring had flown off during the run.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fun thread... I'd say my latest was about a year ago, was bringing my 4l80 down and my neighbor across the street had came over earlier and knew I was dropping the trans. Anyways I ended up rolling my shoulder over my 3/8 Air impact right next to my ear so of course I yell like I just stabbed in the nuts. 5 Seconds later he comes sprinting into my driveway asking if i'm ok....

Lol, yep. Good Times.

Last edited by foose04; 09-16-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

All funny stuff. I love the bag on the filter...that's me man !!! I can see me doing that.

I left a front wheel loose one time on my 65 Nova. I felt that when getting on the brakes. It was wabbling all over.

Lost my balancer one time on the same car. That is a noisy SOB banging around the engine compartment at 6800 rpm.

Also took a buddy for a ride in the Nova with the passenger seat not bolted down. A 513 gear...threw him in the back seat area real fast. I was LMAO
Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was swapping my SS wheels for my winter rims & tires last year.

Got 3 done & interupted by the Mrs. to help her with something inside. About an hour later got back to the truck and proceeded to take 1 of the 3 wheels I just put on off before I remembered what I was really doing.

Now I just tell her, I'm working on the truck, leave me the f*ck alone.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once beat on a u joint for 2 hours, then realized that i never removed the locks. Im not talking about sitting around trying to figure out how to approach my project for 2 hours. I'm talking beating the **** out of this poor u joint for 2 hours straight. Beat on this u joint for 20 mins, walk to the toolbox, grab a bigger hammer, then repeat. I beat the ever living snot out of this thing. This was in 100+ degree weather too. About the time I was on the verge of heat exhaustion, I realized I was an idiot, removed the locks, and had it replaced in 3 minutes. Its the simple things in life......
Old 09-18-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

When I got rid of the Yukon XL, I pulled the lowering kit off it. I used my buddies alignment rack. Since I was on the lift I had no need to remove the wheels and tires. I had the air jack meant for raising the front of the truck holding the frame just in front of the rear lower control arms, and I had the rear air jack underneath the rear axle. After remove the DJM control arms, pulling the shocks, sway bar relocators, and coil springs I had a total brain fart. The air jack wouldn't raise the truck up high enough to clear the stock suspension parts, so I lowered the air jacks thinking I would reposition them. Which ever set (upper or lower) control arms where still on the truck let the axle roll over, the yukon rolled about a foot forward. The front tires where on top of the front wheel chawks (ie about to go off the lift.) The drive shaft was twisted in a wierd position as the axle pinion was now pointed at the floor. All this while I was standing beneath the yukon on the lift.

Scared the hoo haaa, wee, wee out of me.

I had backed my pickup to the bay door to hold the parts, and quickly grabbed some chains from the bed. I chained the receiver hitch to the rear bar of the alignment rack. I grabbed some axle straps and tow straps and once again went from the rear bar to the hitch. I pulled the yukon back a little, then repositioned and raised the air jacks. I then reassembled the rear suspension at lightspeed. Once the truck was movable, I lowered the alignment rack and rolled the yukon back.

I didn't break anything other then the tap on my bladder.

Picture of the lift for those that don't know what one looks like.
Name:  IMAG0453_zps93937391.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  63.0 KB

I also have burned my ring finger via grounding battery terminals through my wedding band. Pictures are from before pulling the burned flesh off myself (3 week later) because I had no insurance.

I also stuck my finger in a hole on the truck frame to feed a wire through only to not be able to get my finger back out. That was a fun afternoon.

Last edited by cttandy; 09-18-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cttandy
I also stuck my finger in a hole on the truck frame to feed a wire through only to not be able to get my finger back out. That was a fun afternoon.
I'm sorry but that made me spit coffee out my nose.. I have done it, more than once.

I had a 79 chevy stepside sitting on 40's. I backed up drive way, jacked up back tires... watched truck and jack roll down drive way. It went about 30 yards before it made it to the RD. curb stopped the jack on other side of rd. Not In a million years would a jack under a truck roll that far again. all I could do was sit there and watch.

I also launched a front coil spring on an 81 formurcery 1fiddy across the shop floor about knee high. it wouldn't come out and was under a little pressure. the old 8 pound hammer moved it.

My biggest oh **** moment was not cor or truck related.I was maybe 8yrs old. I was walking across a paved parking lot. I was dragging/shuffling my feet. well I kick a small pebble and it bust out the front door to the place I was walking into. The lobby was full of people. They just looked like a ghost crawled out of my *** when they all looked at me at the same time. all I could do was stand there in shock. It was LOUD when the big *** door shattered and all hit the floor.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys are killin me...LMAO.

Those stories reminded me of loading my Silverado on the trailer one time. While going up the ramps she spun the tires and went within an inch of going off the trailer. I was freaking the F... out. I had to get a jack under the frame and get a friend to help me shove it back over. Very close call.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

I once changed my oil, and got distracted because a buddy of mine pulled up right after I got the filter on. We chatted for a while and then I cranked the engine for a few seconds before checking the oil level on the dipstick. I heard an awful knocking sound and quickly shut off the engine. I realized that since I was distracted, I forgot to actually pour the new oil into the engine! Luckily it only ran for about 4-5 seconds with no oil in it. Once I filled er up with oil she was purrin like a kitten again. Lol
Old 09-18-2013, 12:14 PM
KickinAssAndTakinNames

So my sister comes by for a oil change in her 2000 accord, I pull down the plastic drive on ramps and position them in front of the front tires. Not sure how familiar you guys are with modern Hondas but both the brake and gas pedal are extremely sensitive. Im easing it up the ramps as it starts to roll back, I try to give a little bit of gas which was apparently way to much. Driver side wheel spins and shoots the ramp backward, out from under the wheel and is now holding the car up a good foot behind the wheel on the body. I jump out to see what the **** just happened, grabbed the jack and put the ramp under the tire as it should be. Just as I’m rolling the jack away my sister walks up and asks if something just happened, I just say nope just got it up on the ramps…….

Quick Reply: Dumbest thing I ever did