Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

dyno queen at the track today.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dyno queen at the track today.

I took my truck to the track saturday. I ran 14.8 at 101mph 2.8 60 foot. I don't know what happen. I could not get off the line to save my life. I went with street tires 275-45-20. You think I would be saying I had no traction right. WRONG!!! First run I droped the clutch at 2500rpm and floored it. The truck boged out and fell on its face for the first 1/4 of the track and then accellerated ok from there. It was prety hot in Sacramento. Second run I decided to drop the clutch at 3000 rpm, same thing. 14.8 at 101mph 2.6 60 foot. It fell on it's face even harder. Not even a chirp out of the tires. I could not even break the tires lose. Droping the clutch at 4000 rpm at the burn out didn't really break lose much. No clutch burning smell or anything. I only got two runs in out of the day, due to a crash and they limited the street class. I think it was a rich condition. It seamed like it was drowning. I still have the boost leak. 480hp and 560 tq and I run a 14.8 THat is funny. I also saw a 2005 dodge viper run a 14.1. A 2003 zo6 ran a 13.8. 2006 ford gtr mustang ran 13.9. I dont feel too bad. I gues that's why they call it test and tune. I think I will have to retune. My AFR is 11.2 at wot. I also am thinking of a two step. I gues better luck next time. I have to learn something from this.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

that sounds like what happened to me... i was running 14.8's at 94 all day, lol thats good for a high 13 sec run. My 60 ft. times were 2.4-2.6 all day it was horrible.

With that trap speed your good for some 12's.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn! Is that 67mm lagging that bad? What rear gear do you have? I went 12.58 @109 with 431rwhp and 470tq with my radix. I had 1.7-1.8 60'. I'd say you'd need a smaller turbo, lower gears, or more cubes
I do remember F8L z71's truck in a video and it had ~ 1 second of lag from a roll after he kicked it. He had a sts67mm on there if I'm not mistaken. That very video is why I didn't go with the sts, too much lag. I'm not saying that is your problem just scratching my head to come up with something.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

I talked to a few camero guys and they said I have to launch at a higher rpm. He said he launches at 4000 and 5000rpm clutch drops, He has 3.23's and runs 11.0 @123mph. With the heat and my set up (low compresion,z06 cam, sts 67mm, ect.) I did not have enough power to jump out of the hole at that rpm. The zo6 cam opens up at around 3500 rpm. The 67mm does have lag, and that boost leak is not helping. I have 3.73's with 28 inch tall street tire. I will try again with the drag radials and higher rpm.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

The 3.73s and the 1st gear on the manual tranny are killing you. There is not much load on the turbo to make it build boost. The 67 and 4.8 combo are not helping either. MJ with the right set up there is very little lag. Anything over 20 mph and boost is instant. Off the line there is lag until around 18 mph and then I have to feather the gas to keep traction. Which works out great because it allows me to get traction instead of spinning in place.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

I have the 5.3 in there right now, I do agree with you about the boost. I don't think you can build boost with the manual tranny. I think I would have to A) drop the clutch at a higher RPM. B) change cam. C) NOS out the hole. I think a two step will help. What Two step did you run Quicksilverado? Remember, I only got two runs in at the track. I still have alot of playing around to do, to see what works and what does not. I started at 2500 because on the street I start to have traction issues there. On the track with the air pressure at 28psi instead of 36, I had traction and boged. I am slowly moving up to see where it starts to make power out of the hole. If that car did not crash I would of moved to 3500-4000 rpm and so on. It did feel like it wanted to jump out the hole better at 4000 rpm when I tryed to burn out. I think if I put on my drag radials on it will be easyer due to the fact that it is a 26 inch tire and the tire and rim combo will be lighter. I need a few runs to figure this out. If you guy's have any info please jump in... Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TURBO8
I have the 5.3 in there right now, I do agree with you about the boost. I don't think you can build boost with the manual tranny. I think I would have to A) drop the clutch at a higher RPM. B) change cam. C) NOS out the hole. I think a two step will help. What Two step did you run Quicksilverado? Remember, I only got two runs in at the track. I still have alot of playing around to do, to see what works and what does not. I started at 2500 because on the street I start to have traction issues there. On the track with the air pressure at 28psi instead of 36, I had traction and boged. I am slowly moving up to see where it starts to make power out of the hole. If that car did not crash I would of moved to 3500-4000 rpm and so on. It did feel like it wanted to jump out the hole better at 4000 rpm when I tryed to burn out. I think if I put on my drag radials on it will be easyer due to the fact that it is a 26 inch tire and the tire and rim combo will be lighter. I need a few runs to figure this out. If you guy's have any info please jump in... Thanks!
I have a Harlan 2-step. They should be available again anytime. You are going in the wrong direction with smaller tires. They will put less load on the turbo and make the lag worse. The great thing about a 2-step is you can find a side street and play with it. You don't have to go fast at all. You can build boost and jump out of the hole. If it will do that then you will see big results at the track.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah you have a point there. The load is very important. I heard about the harlan, I heard that he was not going to make them anymore. Is there a website or link to get more info?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

No link. He was supposed to start making them again. Keep an eye out in the for sale section on ls1tech. They pop up from time to time.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good to see that you got the truck out to the track. sounds like it pulled well on the big end...

Quick Reply: dyno queen at the track today.