Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

ET street question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have et streets and love them. They hook on the street for me but I am not pushing the tire very hard. I have never heard anyone having problems with the et streets hooking. Most fairly fast cars still don't need a big burnout with them.

You shouldn't need 4 slicks unless you are upping the power for next year. You can run a 28" tire and f-bodies run single digit times on 28x11.5s fairly easily. You would be spending a good deal of waisted money putting 4 slicks on the truck. Just run 2wd or make sure the tires are the same height if you really want to run 4wd.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:33 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by custm2500
I have et streets and love them. They hook on the street for me but I am not pushing the tire very hard. I have never heard anyone having problems with the et streets hooking. Most fairly fast cars still don't need a big burnout with them.

You shouldn't need 4 slicks unless you are upping the power for next year. You can run a 28" tire and f-bodies run single digit times on 28x11.5s fairly easily. You would be spending a good deal of waisted money putting 4 slicks on the truck. Just run 2wd or make sure the tires are the same height if you really want to run 4wd.
I don't really want to run slicks at all. I believe I can get enough traction with good drag radials or DOT tires. If I need to buy 4 28" tires already, I will buy as much traction as I can. I know I'm not the only 4x4 or AWD truck/SUV wanting to put traction on all 4 corners. I'm also concerned with being able to just do a VERY SMALL burnout, so I don't crank up the IAT's in the burnout box.

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Not gonna lie, tech at my local track sucks. They don't notice my turbo OR blower.
Tech around here isn't so lenient. My left front axle seal was starting to leak before my last track day. He failed me. I went back to the pits, cleaned it all up, and went back to tech. He let me run that same day, but told me if it was wet again on another day, it would not pass.

I really don't think I would pass tech with slicks on, unless I have the driveshaft loop, long wheel studs, and c-clip eliminators that are required by the rules.

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
The ET streets are a DOT tire.. The hoosier are not.. Both are bias tires..
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.

Do the Hoosier's need a big burnout to heat up, or just a quick cleanup?

What other tires should I be considering, knowing that I DO NOT want to do any big burnouts to heat up the rubber?
Old 11-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the biggest ones used are the MT's and Hoosiers for truck and car guys that not Pro Stock, Comp and fuel LOL.. I havn't personally used the Hoosiers.. A friend of mine does, he doesn't do anything huge for a burn out, they hook like a ****.. Also I have talked to quite a few older guys that race, they swear that hoosiers are better for a heavy vehicle.. Is it true I duno, but heard it from more then 5 people... I am with them some of the other guys. No reason to get 4 slicks..
Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
No reason to get 4 slicks..
What about 4 DR's?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could but if you hook hard with the slicks, you will have no reason to launch in 4 wheel drive.. Your gong to be limited to how hard you launch based on your converter. It is only going to launch so hard.. Slicks will hold your set up..
Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Anyone think 2 DR's would be enough traction to launch in 2 wheel? On street tires there's no chance in hell. Feathering the throttle smoke the tires all the way to the 1/8th.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:10 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Anyone think 2 DR's would be enough traction to launch in 2 wheel? On street tires there's no chance in hell. Feathering the throttle smoke the tires all the way to the 1/8th.
I'd say buy two, see if it works. If not, buy two more.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the M&H DR's, I've only cut a 1.74 60ft. So I'd think if you must run Dr's you going to need 4. You're packing way more power then me.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:51 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Originally Posted by mhotrodscooter
I'm running the M&H DR's, I've only cut a 1.74 60ft. So I'd think if you must run Dr's you going to need 4. You're packing way more power then me.
How do they hook for you?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:01 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Bump!! Just added the new Hoosier DR to the mix. New size 295/50R16 is a 28" tire, and weight is 26 lbs.

Quick Reply: ET street question