Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Ever seen an NHRA legal cage that looked like this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever seen an NHRA legal cage that looked like this?

I have been looking around for cages that don't go through the back window of a regular cab truck and really haven't found cages that people run at the track and are NHRA legal. I have seen a couple of El Camino's at the track a ways back (probrably like 5 years ago) that had cages that didn't go through the rear window, and a white regular cab Chev/GMC truck that had the tubes going through the sheet metal above the glass. If you guys have any NHRA legal cages to run faster than 11.50 that don't go through the back window I would love to see them. I found this little S10 on racing junk and saw that the cage was total sleeper style and would go under the bed cover if it had one. I like this idea because I can still use my bed cover and not have the lexan back window. If you guys have pics of a cage like this or have seen ones like it....post up and let me know if this type of cage is even NHRA legal.....that MIGHT be why this dude is selling this S10.....that....or it's a clean show truck that isn't fast at the strip....LOL.....

Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

I like the fact that the cage is hidden too. Now to find out if it is legit or not. Lol.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IIRC, there was alot of controversy about that cage. Not positive, but pretty sure it's not legal.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:56 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ooo, that I might do!!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:09 PM
Staging Lane

Their is a build thread on one if the s10 forums and i belive it is legal. i will try to find it again.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:10 PM
The House is Rockin'

That is one of the sweetest cages I've seen!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe txsilverado has seen this build thread to because i can't find it now. I'm a member of way to many forums its going to take some digging to find it again.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

I cant remember if that bar that goes from the cab into the bed has to be a certain distance from the top of the cage for stability or not.......the cage has SIX points in the cab.....so MAYBE that bar that goes into the bed CAN be that low because it isn't for "stability" its to connect the cage to the BACK of the truck for a little bit of stiffness......the other cages that i see almost never have those two forward bars that go through the dash.......I dunno if that makes SENSE......but hopefully someone can put this one to rest......

On a side note......I have seen a couple of trucks that have the tubes going from the bed, and into the back of the cab ABOVE the rear glass......keeping the glass intact....or what LOOKS like glass when I see it intact......does anyone know for SURE if that is glass or if it has to be Lexan because of all of the flexing that sheet metal would do under a big load having the tube going through the sheet metal at the top of the cab? I keep on thinking that I would just get rid of the snug top that I have and have to put the tubes into the sheet metal at the top of the cab to keep the glass......would be SO sick to have that sleeper cage set-up if it was NHRA legal though!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The down bars have to be within 5" on the top roll bar or some ****. That cage pictured shouldn't cert

You could do one like casey23 and put a funny car cage in and you don't have to do the down bars out the back glass
Old 06-16-2012, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Phantom
The down bars have to be within 5" on the top roll bar or some ****. That cage pictured shouldn't cert

You could do one like casey23 and put a funny car cage in and you don't have to do the down bars out the back glass
makes sense.....that is probably why the dude is selling it then....wont cert....I saw it and thought it looks fishy....but I thought that i would ask around....

funny car cage with the wrap around....that would make ME look twice at a truck on the street...if I had one I would just tell people that it had a "tornado" on it and some Z-max in it.....ha ha!

Quick Reply: Ever seen an NHRA legal cage that looked like this?