Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

first time drag truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go at least a 4500 converter... i have a 4000 in my truck and i drive it everyday!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i realy dont know what #s i should shoot for. i was thinking around 13s with a truck thats so heavy. i plan on stripping as much weight as possible but i'm starting with 5500lbs. i have a small block already that i can bore and stroke, everything else is up in the air. like i said before this will be my first project that is this exstensive, so i'm trying to do my research before i wast money on parts that dont go together. i would love to through a bb in it but i have a sb i want to make use of. i realy just wanted some advise on what direction i should go with the engine for the best possible results with a heavy truck. (ie: should i build for mid range hp because of the weight, or build for top end.. is a 383 the best engine or should i go with a 400sb?) i know i want the most possible power so i do want to blow it. if i can get 11s i would be more than pleased.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i realy dont know what #s i should shoot for. i was thinking around 13s with a truck thats so heavy. i plan on stripping as much weight as possible but i'm starting with 5500lbs. i have a small block already that i can bore and stroke, everything else is up in the air. like i said before this will be my first project that is this exstensive, so i'm trying to do my research before i wast money on parts that dont go together. i would love to through a bb in it but i have a sb i want to make use of. i realy just wanted some advise on what direction i should go with the engine for the best possible results with a heavy truck. (ie: should i build for mid range hp because of the weight, or build for top end.. is a 383 the best engine or should i go with a 400sb?) i know i want the most possible power so i do want to blow it. if i can get 11s i would be more than pleased.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Banned

he was talking about a sbc 454,r you wanting to go fuel injection are carb. i would try and build a 427 are 434 sbc ls base motor you can put a carb on it are stay fuel injection.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wolfe
TXSilverado is right, even an 11.5 second truck isn't a drag truck. If all you're talking about is running 13s then that's not even a fast truck. It's just a fun quick truck. That's not going to be satisfying nor will it turn heads.

If it's your first project and it truly is a drag truck. Shoot for hitting high 11s. That's still not a bad number and it's slow enough that you won't have to worry about building a full suspension for it.