Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

first time at the track coming up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first time at the track coming up

whats up everyone, had a few questions to ask since im new to the whole "track" deal. within the next 2weeks GLD will be opening. needless to say theres been some beef going on with some kids that refused to run me on the street last summer, they still refuse to line up unless its at the track so im making the trip out there to settle the **** talking.

my questions are if the track isnt or is prepped how is traction going to be compared to on the street? also ive got a pretty loose converter should i try leaving any differently than i would on the street or can i try leaving harder etc? i honestly have no idea what to expect, ive never ran the strip i know street racing isnt to be talked about on here but for as long as ive had my liscense its been the only way of racing. if anyone could help me out itd be greatley appreciated!

thanks

tj
Old 03-18-2013, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always found that with out slicks or drag radials traction is allot less, you will have to just try it out with your setup though, id try a few runs before you line up with him so you know what works better.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Don't even think about lining up until you practice. I would try to get 10 runs min. Lower your air pressure till your tread is all flat on the ground. Stage very shallow. Try leaving on the last yellow with different stall rpms. While you could red light it usually takes that 1/2 second to break the beam on a street truck. Just practice! You could get killed on the line if you don't. My exes 1/8 mi. car...6.59 beat a 6.22 car at the tree. A lot of pissed off people lost money but she murdered him at the tree. Gotta already be movin' when the light goes green

One more thing, if he's at the track put NT on your window. That way they won't post your time except on your slip!

Last edited by ZO6Ted; 03-18-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: added a thought
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the words of wisdom guys its much appreciated! i guess this whole event has changed and is now going on june 14th so ive got plenty of time for practice, the 30th gld will be opening and im gonna be there to get a feel for it and try to get some runs under my belt lol. in all honesty my biggest scare is catching traction and breaking something, but by the sounds of it it sounds like all im gonna be doing is spinning. as for the NT that was my plan lol, everyone and their moms are gonna be there on this day and with how quick word spreads on the street id rather not have anyone know what i click off except for myself as stupid as that sounds.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep good records with each pass as well. It will help in setting up each run. X2 on cutting a good light ! Seen so many "slower" cars put the faster cars on the trailer early with a good reaction time. Its not as much the speed you are looking for as much as spending the least amount of time traveling 1320 ft. The lowest time is the winner!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im definitley gonna do my best trying to, and fersure plan on catching a good light. i just hope i can get some sort of traction lol im honestly curious what hell of a 60" i clock off. all i know is the 30th im giving it my all until the track closes, as much runs i can get under my belt the better. all in all when it comes down on the 14th im hoping i put bus lengths on that powerjoke lol.

the one time the kid with the powerstroke raced he put half a length on my buddys fox, when i raced the fox pre-cam and untuned for the converter i had it by about 3. im not that knowledgeable about diesels but i know hes upgrading the turbo housing, actully going intercooled since his isnt, and instead of 125 or 150 horse injectors hes doings something like 225. not to jack my own thread do you guys think ill still come out with a win or should i actully take it as a threat? i do have a tbss intake waiting to go on as well
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you 2wd or 4wd?

And do you have any stock or smaller tires?

some 26" Slicks or drag radial with those 4.88s/3500 stall would be hard to keep up with if you could leave with all you got.

my best on all terrians was a 1.9 which is better than it use to do on slicks with my old setup.
Just air them down to about 25ish and dont smoke them, just spin them over a few times to get all the sand and rocks off. AVOID the water if you can also.

Good luck!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am 4wd but i called him out saying he can leave in 4wd while i leave in 2 since i got so fed up with him running his mouth(probably not the best call lol) as for the smaller tires we both agreed trucks how they sit full weight as daily's etc. but if i did run a smaller diameter tire when i go on the 30th wouldnt it actully hurt me? id hate to be goin in through the traps in o.d. and damn 1.9 60" aint bad at all, specially on a/t's whatd you click off if ya dont mind me askin? and i figured id avoid the water box n just give em a few rotations on dry. not that it makes any difference but my tires are bald to the point they literally are slicks, idk wether thatll actully benefit me or hurt at the track
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in my Sig..
12.9@113

4wd with some smaller tires and yours would roll on out. How fast can you go in top if third right now on 35s?

If you cant get it to leave in 2wd just try to roll onto the throttle.

Last time i ran i just stalled it up till it stayed at 0 vacuum and just let off the brake on the last yellow light and hesitated for a moment and then put the gas pedal to the floor. Boost comes in prettty fast and off it goes haha.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

damn she gets it lol...in all honestly if i crack a high 13 ill be satisfied but well see what track day brings. and i honestly couldnt tell ya, i know my converter locks in 3rd around 90-95 but after 100 i cant see anything unless i had my gps up. my guess probably 115-120 ish give or take some? and im hopin i can at least leave on a bit of preload and roll into it without blowin the tires off. ive got it mastered on the street but like i said ive never ran track lol. and damn man, hearin this boost talk is making me want to go away from the high compression build i had planned lol, 12.90's she gets down!

Quick Reply: first time at the track coming up