Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

which front coil spring to transfer more weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts
Default which front coil spring to transfer more weight

ok. even with 90/10 shocks up front i cannot transfer weight with my turd. im currently running djm 3" drop shocks.

i have in my attic 1 pair of shocks from my extended cab 5.3 setup, and i also have a pair of springs from a single cab v6 setup.

i plan to cut them to keep my current drop, but hopefully they will let me get the front end up a little.

which spring in theory will work best for me?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the 90/10 shocks with the v6 springs should give you more spring in the front end to transfer weight i would think. have you tried disconnecting your front sway bar at the track to see if that helps?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:44 AM

no ive never disconnected the sway bar. it sounds like a PITA haha.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of the swapping to v6 springs right now. They're a lighter (less spring rate) spring that will store more energy. So yes, in theory they should help transfer weight. Are they the best? Probably not, but for $40 I figured I'd give it a try.

They'll probably drop the front some without cutting compared to stock springs. Are you running drop coils on the front now?

Oh yeah, disconnect your swaybar like 454navy said! It'll help a lot.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:14 PM

ok so is there a way to tell the springs apart if they are laying side by side? at this point i dont know which pair belongs to which ride hahah.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could always do like i do at the boat ramp... take one fat hoe, place in bed of truck, hit gas

seriously though, i have a similar setup with the 3" drop shackles, i ran a little shorter slick on the back than my fronts and left the spare on the back... seemed to transfer very well.

a 1.69 60' is nothing to sneeze at though man. do you drive it on the street much? there are a few shocks i can think of that would do a little better, but would ride like ****.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
ok so is there a way to tell the springs apart if they are laying side by side? at this point i dont know which pair belongs to which ride hahah.
The V8 springs are made with a thicker wire diameter. Other than that, there's really no difference. I think they'll help, but they're not optimal.

I'm looking into car springs to see which ones will fit. I have Moroso trick springs for my Camaro and they're too small in dia to fit the lower spring pocket for our trucks. I'm wondering if a trick spring for a chevelle would work.

What does the spring pocket look like on a drop LCA? Depending on the geometry we might be able to use car springs with coil spring spacers.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
The V8 springs are made with a thicker wire diameter. Other than that, there's really no difference. I think they'll help, but they're not optimal.

I'm looking into car springs to see which ones will fit. I have Moroso trick springs for my Camaro and they're too small in dia to fit the lower spring pocket for our trucks. I'm wondering if a trick spring for a chevelle would work.

What does the spring pocket look like on a drop LCA? Depending on the geometry we might be able to use car springs with coil spring spacers.
Let me know how the springs work Vanilla-man !!

Pitt
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by sickREDsierra
you could always do like i do at the boat ramp... take one fat hoe, place in bed of truck, hit gas

seriously though, i have a similar setup with the 3" drop shackles, i ran a little shorter slick on the back than my fronts and left the spare on the back... seemed to transfer very well.

a 1.69 60' is nothing to sneeze at though man. do you drive it on the street much? there are a few shocks i can think of that would do a little better, but would ride like ****.
1.69 spinning with caltracs 9 way adjustable rear shocks and 90/10 front shocks.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla

i was checking out the trick springs today. i would still like to use this as a daily driver if i have to. its currently just a weekend street truck.

Quick Reply: which front coil spring to transfer more weight