Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

which front coil spring to transfer more weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Does any one actually know the spring rate of v8/v6 springs? i can get several different heights and springs rates that are used in dirt track cars
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V6 springs are in. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow to see how it does. As of now it's sitting a little bit higher than the v8 springs, but I'm sure they'll settle quite a bit since they've been on a shelf awhile.

As for spring rate, I come up with 438lb/in for the V8's and 333lb/in for the V6'ers. I'm not sure what material GM used, so these aren't to be taken as gospel. I just used the torsen modulus of steel, but again, I'm not sure on what wire they're made out of. It does provide for a good comparison.

I don't see why some 250lb/in Chevelle springs that are around 18in long couldn't work. Some spacers might have to be used to get the desired ride height.

Tyler, I've checked out Afco springs awhile back, but I now see on thier site they have a 5.5" OD spring. That might work for us depending on the wire dia.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Update: I drove to work and back yesterday with the V6 springs,my shocks on the 90/10 setting, and no sway bar. It seemed pretty bouncy in the front. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it definitely free'd up the front end a bit. I can't say it helped weight transfer, because I obviously don't hook for crap on the street. They're definitely streetable though.

I'm going to give it a few hundred more miles, because they've settle about an 1/8" already.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
V6 springs are in. I'm going to take it to work tomorrow to see how it does. As of now it's sitting a little bit higher than the v8 springs, but I'm sure they'll settle quite a bit since they've been on a shelf awhile.

As for spring rate, I come up with 438lb/in for the V8's and 333lb/in for the V6'ers. I'm not sure what material GM used, so these aren't to be taken as gospel. I just used the torsen modulus of steel, but again, I'm not sure on what wire they're made out of. It does provide for a good comparison.

I don't see why some 250lb/in Chevelle springs that are around 18in long couldn't work. Some spacers might have to be used to get the desired ride height.

Tyler, I've checked out Afco springs awhile back, but I now see on thier site they have a 5.5" OD spring. That might work for us depending on the wire dia.
How tall are the v6/v8 springs and the OD 5.5?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.daymotorsports.com/produc...IGTAIL-SPRINGS found these that are 5.5 od. the pigtail could be cut off.. just an idea
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

V6 springs and V8 springs have roughly the same free length...16.5" for V8 and 16.75" for the V6, that's why it should technically lower the truck. V8 springs are 5.875" OD with a wire dia of .825" so that leaves us with a ID of 4.225". V6 springs are 5.75" OD and a wire dia of .758" with a ID of 4.234".

We can use 5.5" OD springs, but only if the wire dia is thin enough to fit in the lower spring pocket. My Camaro springs are only 4.75" so that leaves them out, but the A-body/G-body springs might work.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used my stock springs and stock shock with a hole drill at the top of the shocks body and work great

and no sway bar.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running cut v6 springs with Edelbrock shocks in the front and it seems to transfer well. I just got some drag radials and I'm waiting on one wheel to come in so I can test my theory. Just remember that the 1/2 coil = 1 in. drop doesn't apply to the lighter springs. I cut 1 1/4 coils off and it dropped nearly 4" once it settled. Its the same setup Quik runs with his truck but I'm at 3" now with a spacer.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

You RC guys have nothing to complain about. Your shorter wheel base allows for a lot more weight transfer.

I've heard that you need a minimum of 5" of downward suspension travel to aid in weight transfer. I'm sure more would be needed for us EC guys. I mean it couldn't hurt. With that said, I checked the downward travel of the front suspension this weekend and I'm not getting a full 5".

How much downward front suspension travel do you guys have??? I can't seem to find where the bump stops are for downward (droop) travel either. Is it from the a-arm hitting the frame or does it rely on the shock to stop it. If it's internal to the OEM shock then the new shocks I have in there need to be longer and I need to put some sort of bumpstop on so it doesn't rip up the shock.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Update: I drove to work and back yesterday with the V6 springs,my shocks on the 90/10 setting, and no sway bar. It seemed pretty bouncy in the front. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it definitely free'd up the front end a bit. I can't say it helped weight transfer, because I obviously don't hook for crap on the street. They're definitely streetable though.

I'm going to give it a few hundred more miles, because they've settle about an 1/8" already.
any updates? and how much should i chop off to match my current 3" drop coils? will removing my front bump stops help? it looks like the truck is always riding on them haha.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 06-17-2009 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: which front coil spring to transfer more weight