Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Headed to the Track-Tips, Tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips.
I will fold in the mirrors, as for the water though- no way to avoid it.
I've been to this track before, so I'm familiar with it.
I always go on the yellow and I've only red lighted once.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

I like to inch forward untill I barely break the first staging light. Then increase your rpm to about 1000 or a little more and pump your brake pedal a few times until you break the second beam. You are staged. When BOTH lanes are staged, bury your right foot. Depending on how quickly your truck 60's, leave on the third yellow or in some cases since you are staged very shallow, you have to leave when you anticipate the third yellow coming on. Either way, a shallow stage will make you 60 better because the trailing edge of your front tire has to break the beam before the timer starts...and you already are moving so its like getting a slight running start. Learned that from a blown alcohol rail owner/driver many years ago. Of course they use a pro tree so they leave on all yellows. BTW, try to keep track of track and weather conditions (D.A.) so you will know if you improve from future mods or if its just the different conditions that day. May try using a couple of bags of ice on the intake if you can fit it in there between rounds, be very careful not to let it drip though...don't need water on the track (remove before racing). Also keep track of whether your truck runs better after a nice cool down between rounds or if you can just hot lap it. Let it shift itself for consistency. Happy racing!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Why fold in the mirrors? I've been going to the track since I got my drivers lic. 17 years ago and it's was only recently I saw people start doing this. I've never had anything hit my mirrors and I don't see them causing enough drag that they would slow you down.

Also, I've tried taking the head light out vs. leaving it in and it didn't do **** for my time, installing the Volant Scoop did help times. Same goes for tailgate up vs. tail gate down....didn't change 1/4 mile times or MPH. When I had my '96 4.3L S10 pulling the head light did help....it would pickup a couple tenths.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol@ the mirrors, I don't know but every best I ever set was with the mirrors folded. Mine come in with a push of a button so it's no big deal.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 252 Likes on 164 Posts

Granted, its not exactly a fair comparison but I saw a test a few years ago of a new Vette and they definitely picked up a couple or three mph on the top end by removing the mirrors as I recall. What works on many vehicles makes no difference on another body style. Its just a bunch of little things that sometimes makes the difference in the winner and the loser. There is no middle in a drag race.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trever1t
I make a mental list of all the things I need to do but before I go there I would recommend you do this;

Walk the length of the track and look at the pole, the metering lights, the sensor. See where everything is. If you cannot walk along side your track then make a "practice run" and just take off easy and calmly drive down the track. Familiarizing yourself will help, trust me.

Now onto my check list...

Fold in my mirrors,
avoid the water,
dust off the tires-no need to do a big burnout on street tires, it doesn't do anything but a little dusting to dry and warm them.
Get up to the pole. Look out your window and see the sensors, creep up and stop when the first whites light. Then inch by inch creep till the second set lights. Two things here...ONE: it is polite to wait until the 'other' car stages (lights the first set) TWO: don't worry about it. The yellows come once both cars have staged so whoever is staged first will have a little more time to prepare.
Stall up a little, not a huge amount. Do it by ear, say 1000rpms and watch the pole. Yellow....Yellow....yellow/LEAVE!!!!! Don't wait for the green. By the time your foot reacts it will have already greened.
Have a blast and report back! Take some pics too!!
i need to remember this **** for when i go for the 1st time...what do yall suggest for a truck with a 5speed? i wanna give her a shot with the 4.8 to see where im at then go with the 6.0/t56....
Old 09-30-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are going to laugh, but I hit the gas on the second yellow. My trucks reaction is so slow I rarely redlight. Best reaction time to date is .006.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Granted, its not exactly a fair comparison but I saw a test a few years ago of a new Vette and they definitely picked up a couple or three mph on the top end by removing the mirrors as I recall. What works on many vehicles makes no difference on another body style. Its just a bunch of little things that sometimes makes the difference in the winner and the loser. There is no middle in a drag race.
I have tried the mirrors in and out, it made no difference for me. I would imagine every little bit helps though, especially the faster you get.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What about the spare- drop it or leave it on?

I don't see this truck having a traction issue at this point, so I shouldn't need the extra weight.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RandomHero
What are the specs on your truck. You'll be setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect low 15s with a stock truck
not expect low 15s in a rcsb 5.3 ??? well.... the only reason for not hitting low 15s is bad driving. take off the spare time. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE ON !!!! DO NOT REMOVE UR R HEADLIGHT PLEASE. makes no difference. and if its ur first time...... ur goin to be nervous, and have adrenaline pumpin through ur whole body so ur goin to be shaky, just concentrate on controlling it. u probably dont need to do a burn out, but u can just for the **** of it . line it up with the 2 yellow lights. press the brake, stall it up to about 1800-2000, once the amber lights start to come down, when u see the 3rd one, let go of the brake and hammer it ......... u will get better each time. I ran 14.4 with a tune, ud pulley and 20s.

Quick Reply: Headed to the Track-Tips, Tricks?