Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Heating up the tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heating up the tires

So, what do you guys do to get a good burnout after you go thru the water box?

I need to learn some technique so I can heat up my Mickey Thompson's better.

If you feel like it, tell me what you do.
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:09 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

ive only done it a few times but its been explained to me the same way by a few guys...

go straight through water box, gassing it 1 revolution to get the whole tire wet. then get onto dry ground and put it in 2nd gear. spin it up through first gear and on into 2nd until 6000 rpm then let off the brake feather out of it until the tire bites. that got me hookin
Old 03-31-2006, 06:19 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I give the tires 1 quick rotation as I'm pulling out of the box if there is not a bunch of water already pulled out of the box to ensure my tires are evenly coated with water.

#1 I ensure the gear selector is in 3rd

#2 Step on the brake and mash the gas pedal to the floor quickly.

#3 I spin em trough first gear and as soon as it goes into 2nd gear I pull the gear selector down to 2nd gear and try to hold the engine at 5,000rpm or so.

#4 Depending on the tire and track conditionsI will continue the burnout for 5-8seconds.

#5 Once I feel the tires are properly warmed up I ease off the brake and pedal the throttle to keep em spinning a bit longer as I get out of the burnout area. There are 2 reasons for this:

A: Often there is water on the patch where you had been doing your burnout and I want to get out of this area with zero water on my tires. If I stop my burnout on this spot and roll forward I may end up recoating the tires with water.
B: When you pull forward while still spinning the tires you can get an idea of how sticky they are and prepare your launch accordingly. ET Streets will often make a screechy noise while doing this if they are properly heated up and good and sticky. In this case you know you can give it your all and launch hard. If they only make the hissy sound they had been making durring your burnout then you know they might not hook well so be careful how hard you launch.

This video illustrates my usual techniqur. It is in my old T/A with 26x11.5x15 ET Streets. Now please keep in mind I was not allowed to run an 11 again or I would get kicked out so I slammed on the brakes near the end of the 1/4, hence my ET with low MPH. Also I wasnt on bottle, this was when the car was N/A. Ben (the guy in the Rentech S600) thought I had bottle. lol

N/A Trans Am vs S600
Old 03-31-2006, 06:28 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

ET Streets will often make a screechy noise while doing this if they are properly heated up and good and sticky.
it sounds like belts slipping...atleast thats what i thought was going on the first few times
Old 03-31-2006, 06:31 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
it sounds like belts slipping...atleast thats what i thought was going on the first few times
Agreed. I love the noise because it usually means i'm gonna bust a good 60' lol

In the T/A it meant the difference bwteen mid 1.6s and mid 1.5s.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:36 PM
11 Second Truck Club

roll through the water, no spin.
pull up 6ft or so past the water, bring it down to 1st and hold the brake.
let it tach out of first until it hits the fuel shut off, shift to 2nd and hold it around 5k rpms for 4 seconds or so and ride it out a little. you've seen it done and it works!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

If you have the ability to start out in 2nd, that's a whole lot better for the transmission compared to allowing it to shift 1-2. There's a lot of mechanical stuff going on on that 1-2 shift that's tough on the system when there's no inertia driving the tires.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

When running street tires how should I do a burn out? I have heard that there is no point in trying to heat up the tires, just more to clean them off and get all of the water off. Am I mistaken? Thanks guys
Old 04-02-2006, 01:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Norm02
When running street tires how should I do a burn out? I have heard that there is no point in trying to heat up the tires, just more to clean them off and get all of the water off. Am I mistaken? Thanks guys

True. You really only need to dust them off and just barely. Too many people try to do a big burnout and the compound in street tires just makes things greasy.

Also you shouldnt be going anywhere near water with street tires!!!! IMO Drag Radials count as street tires as well because of their tread. All you'll do is drag water in the tread up to the starting line with you and get a horrible launch and **** off everyone who has to race behind you. I get so pissed at those bastard little Honda guys who do this crap.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I usually drive around the water box. Then back up close as I can to it and do a burnout. When you run through the water box and then spin your tires water gets up in your fender wells causing it to drip on to your tires. I have seen this numerous times at the track. I usually do as stated do a good burn out for about 5-10 seconds and burn them up the line a little. Sometimes I will practice my launch before going to the line to make sure its going to at least hook somewhat. I have never hooked off the line before even off idle and easing into it.

Quick Reply: Heating up the tires