Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Heating up the tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go around the water box and back in then do your burn out,if you drive through you drip water from under the truck causing you to lose traction.
Old 04-02-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitt1
Go around the water box and back in then do your burn out,if you drive through you drip water from under the truck causing you to lose traction.
Exactly.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tooquick2beslo
I usually drive around the water box. Then back up close as I can to it and do a burnout. When you run through the water box and then spin your tires water gets up in your fender wells causing it to drip on to your tires. I have seen this numerous times at the track. I usually do as stated do a good burn out for about 5-10 seconds and burn them up the line a little.
I agree with this.

Sometimes I will practice my launch before going to the line to make sure its going to at least hook somewhat.
I wouldn't do this. This is what some of us call "doing dry hops". Doing dry hops actually removes heat (which you just created) from the tires. I've seen this almost as much as I've seen street tires throwing water into the wheel wells. They usually get the same result (tire spin).
One thing I didn't see mentioned is consistency. It is important to do the same thing each time (once you've figured out what works).
Old 04-02-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by An11secRanger
I agree with this.

I wouldn't do this. This is what some of us call "doing dry hops". Doing dry hops actually removes heat (which you just created) from the tires. I've seen this almost as much as I've seen street tires throwing water into the wheel wells. They usually get the same result (tire spin).
One thing I didn't see mentioned is consistency. It is important to do the same thing each time (once you've figured out what works).
It works fine for the big racers where I race at. Their tires dont hop and I fail to see how it takes the heat away from the tires. Of course I have only ran with drag radials and they wouldnt hook for me. Whatever floats your boat and works for you.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

It works fine for the big racers where I race at.
Define "big racers". If a car is set up really well, it'll probably hook, no matter how bad the driver is, so kudos to them for having well done chassis.
Their tires dont hop and I fail to see how it takes the heat away from the tires.
The term dosen't mean the tires, visibly, hop (although, they, sometimes, do), it's just what we call the act of a doing a pre-race launch. It takes the heat out. I don't know that I can explain it, here tonight, but it does remove the heat.
Of course I have only ran with drag radials and they wouldnt hook for me.
I know the feeling. I had major traction problems for years. However, there a cars that runs 7s on drag radials, so there must be a way to make them hook. I hope to be using DRs, exclusively, very soon. But, I might not be able to get it to hook with them either. I know I hate swapping the tires every time I want to hook, so somethin's gotta give!
Whatever floats your boat and works for you.
I'm just giving my thoughts.
Old 04-02-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by An11secRanger
Define "big racers". If a car is set up really well, it'll probably hook, no matter how bad the driver is, so kudos to them for having well done chassis.
The term dosen't mean the tires, visibly, hop (although, they, sometimes, do), it's just what we call the act of a doing a pre-race launch. It takes the heat out. I don't know that I can explain it, here tonight, but it does remove the heat.
I know the feeling. I had major traction problems for years. However, there a cars that runs 7s on drag radials, so there must be a way to make them hook. I hope to be using DRs, exclusively, very soon. But, I might not be able to get it to hook with them either. I know I hate swapping the tires every time I want to hook, so somethin's gotta give!
I'm just giving my thoughts.

Big races meaning the ones that run 10's and 9's. They did a nice burn out and then tested to see if the car would hook.

Not exactly sure what you are talking about hoping but ok.

Whatever helps you hook. The rearend is real light in our trucks so it is pretty hard to get them to hook up. Some ET streets would probably help me out a whole lot thou.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:57 AM
12 Second Truck Club

For what its worth I've always been told not to do dry hops either. For the same reason as stated 11secRanger guy.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

You won't see any truly experienced racers doing dry hops for the reasons stated above... nothing gained, just extra bang on the driveline. Not like you can back up and do another burnout if you don't like it.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:23 AM
DRAG RACING IS LIFE! Mod

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Also you shouldnt be going anywhere near water with street tires!!!! IMO Drag Radials count as street tires as well because of their tread.
I disagree with that. Trying to do a burnout without water on REAL sticky drag radials doesn't work most of the time. I've seen plenty of broken parts from trying!

When you run through the water box and then spin your tires water gets up in your fender wells causing it to drip on to your tires. I have seen this numerous times at the track.
I drive through and spin mine over, but just use some caution when you do. At tracks that have a wide burnout box water patch, this is not a concern. I spin mine over but slowly to avoid the water getting up in the wheelhouse.

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
For what its worth I've always been told not to do dry hops either. For the same reason as stated 11secRanger guy.
Amen! They used to be common practice back in the 80s and early 90s. Realize you are just coming out of the burnout and by doing a dry-hop, you are taking the cleanest, warmest traction you have and using it for a checkout instead of your actual launch. Not many racers I know do dry hops, bracket or heads-up. But that's just me

Derek
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H
I disagree with that. Trying to do a burnout without water on REAL sticky drag radials doesn't work most of the time. I've seen plenty of broken parts from trying!
Derek
Most of the DRs I see being used are the low profile type so they are not overly sticky (not much sidewall) so its no big deal. The guys out there using em the 15" and real wide ones should be careful yes. lol I had to go in the water with my C5 because it had burnout issues lol

Quick Reply: Heating up the tires