Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Help! 5.3/turbo/4wd-no traction

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 08:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really doubt you're lifting the left front tire at only a 1.8 60'. Since your truck is a normal 4wd system, if you are spinning the front that hard, the back is also spinning. Do you have both rear wheels spinning? If you're only spinning the left front and right rear, traction will be a problem. If you are running a locker in the rear, maybe it's a problem with your tire choice. Honestly though the easiest fix is to just launch at less boost.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by zippy
I really doubt you're lifting the left front tire at only a 1.8 60'. Since your truck is a normal 4wd system, if you are spinning the front that hard, the back is also spinning. Do you have both rear wheels spinning? If you're only spinning the left front and right rear, traction will be a problem. If you are running a locker in the rear, maybe it's a problem with your tire choice. Honestly though the easiest fix is to just launch at less boost.
Thanks Zippy, I wonder about the left front myself...just heresay from the starting line guy. It's just a G80 diff. stock from the factory except the 4.10's. It really FEELS like the back hooks...doesn't fishtail, just pulls right and left and steering is all over the place, tires are Goodyear Eagle LS2's whatever that is. I guess I've got a few options to think about, gotta do something right away! Don't wanta launch at less boost.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't take my posting as knocking on you, mearly just covering base's. If leaving at say 4psi causes a smoother launch, it might be easier to handle than 6-7psi is my only thought on that. Remember, you're not lowering your overall boost, just your pre-laoded boost. Those Eagle LS2's aren't all that great for hooking as some of the Silverado SS guys have found. I would have someone check to make sure that the rear is locking in though, that can cause big problems with the front spinning. On the awd trucks, they can spin one driveshaft faster than others, on yours it is all equal speed. There have been some 4wd regular cabs getting 1.7 60's on the stock suspension with those tires, but they are launching off idle. With your suspension being pre-loaed, you are getting a different launch reaction. Are you heating the rear tires at all before making the pass? What tire pressures are you running?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm not heating the tires except on one run and I didn't get a 60', the timer wasn't working in that lane. I tried to let air out until they looked flat across the pavement, that was 35 front hot, 32 rear hot.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Adjusted the torsion bars and dropped the front end only about 2". New times in sig.
Ran a C6 ZO6, it would be almost my worst run of the night, he passed me at the 330 for a 7.879 in the 1/8th. I even let my wife make a few passes, her reaction time is killer, first time out, but she hasn't figured out how to leave on boost very well yet. When she does she'll be kickin' my ***. This truck is 7's for sure, just have to wait 'till cooler weather to find out how deep. There is a bit more in the 60', probably in the mid to high 1.6's. By the way, averaging 22.5-23 mpg on the highway at 70.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:03 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
Adjusted the torsion bars and dropped the front end only about 2". New times in sig.
Ran a C6 ZO6, it would be almost my worst run of the night, he passed me at the 330 for a 7.879 in the 1/8th. I even let my wife make a few passes, her reaction time is killer, first time out, but she hasn't figured out how to leave on boost very well yet. When she does she'll be kickin' my ***. This truck is 7's for sure, just have to wait 'till cooler weather to find out how deep. There is a bit more in the 60', probably in the mid to high 1.6's. By the way, averaging 22.5-23 mpg on the highway at 70.
Did you lower the rear too?
Old 09-07-2007, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run spring clamps in the rear both front and rear of the axle. this will eliminate any axle warp and lock the rear so there is little to no weight x-fer to the rear tires
pull the torsion bar screws all the way out. the dancing left to right is the front unloading it can also lead to breaking 1/2 shafts as well

a stock LB7 300/520 or 250/420 at the tires will bend the tie rods. i knew there are alot of guys runnning 400/400 hp/tq at the tires.

just my .02 cents
Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stock48
Did you lower the rear too?
No, I actually like the ride height for great visibility, I just lowered the front for the times at the track, a 3 minute mod.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by malibu795
run spring clamps in the rear both front and rear of the axle. this will eliminate any axle warp and lock the rear so there is little to no weight x-fer to the rear tires
pull the torsion bar screws all the way out. the dancing left to right is the front unloading it can also lead to breaking 1/2 shafts as well

a stock LB7 300/520 or 250/420 at the tires will bend the tie rods. i knew there are alot of guys runnning 400/400 hp/tq at the tires.

just my .02 cents
Yeah, thanks for the tips, I'm slowly making some changes.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rare

Originally Posted by ZO6Ted
It's rare to find a man who would let his wife drive! Why?

Quick Reply: Help! 5.3/turbo/4wd-no traction