Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Launch techniques

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Launch techniques

How do most of you guys launch? My r/t are shitty but i'm not going for that yet. best run is in my sig, but i am hoping to maybe knock that down in this slow *** pos this weekend. 60' was something like a 2.53. not looking for much, but not wanting to spin on the launch. Do you stall as high as you can, then go, or do you go say half-throttle then roll into it? Not looking for anything amazing, but my ET is low for my mph for what i have seen. Just want a little bit better. TIA
Old 07-05-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

Every truck is going to be different. Some people are going to tell you that they have the best results by brake stalling the truck as much as possible and others are going to tell you their best times have been by flashing the converter. For best results for YOUR truck, you are going to have to go to the track and do some experimenting to see how your truck reacts to each one.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Toe
TECH Regular

Aye, I've tried it all, done what other people have told me to do that gave them the best results and it actually made my times worse. Before the 2800 stall converter I got put in yesterday, I would stall to about 1400 and drop the hammer upon green, any higher and I would blow the tires off. Though some days the track was slicker and I'd blow them off at lower rpm's. Now with the stall I need to figure out what works best, without slicks I'll need to feather the thottle till I am out of the hole, something I am not very good at, (all twitch, no finess).

Your 5.9 makes good low end torque, more then my hemi, so you may have a tougher time trying to get it to hook up.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Agreed, they are all dofferent. The more I brake stall mine, the more boost the blower builds and the better the 60' time. That's not true for a lot of trucks.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since the dodge has no powre try this. lol

stab the throttle let off then floor it. believe or not it works. i told osmeone else to do this and they cut their best 60'. so how it loads the suspension. also take it to about 1000 for a stock stall/combo for abuilt setup 1500rpm stall then let it flash. this works with any vehicle ive driven

but remember its a dodge, dont expect much lol, jk ive seen 1.98 on street tires
Old 07-05-2006, 07:10 PM
Toe
TECH Regular

Interesting, so you are sitting at the line, you quickly step on the gas and let off, then stomp on it? I'll have to try that.

Your second method, if I stall to 1500, let off the brake it should flash, then floor it?
Old 07-05-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried a bunch of things too, but the best for me is to launch in 4hi and push the converter to about 1400rpms then hammer it on the last yellow. My best 60' so far is a 1.90....oddly enough with that 1.90 i only E.T'ed a 14.3.... ...stupid heavy *** truck!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:24 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toe
Interesting, so you are sitting at the line, you quickly step on the gas and let off, then stomp on it? I'll have to try that.

Your second method, if I stall to 1500, let off the brake it should flash, then floor it?
yea it sounds dumb but it works sometimes. its ahit or miss thing tho. hey try it its only one run if you dont hook right? i forget who i told this to but it worked for him.
that second method is for a stall. with my 3800 stall i take it to 1500 and when the 2nd yellow dissapears i floor it and my converter flashes to 3800 and off i go. best 60' on the street is 1.81 on et streets spinning out of hole. but when i was stock i used to take it to 1000 rpms and give it like half throttle for a half second just enough to settle/upset the supsenion and then floor it. this way you dont shock the tires as much and you still allow the weight to transfer. it works wodners on the street but you do lose that valuable time right off the line cause your not dead hooking like if you were on full slicks. this is where driver technique comes into play.
it may work for you it may not. its only one pass if you dont so give it a try and best o luck with it

when i mean street thats the only place i ran my truck. it was a little event that had officals and everything from the local track that did this in front of Heniz field. theres a video of me down there. [quik's slowride] i took it above 1500 and would 60 badly. some how 1500 was the magic rpm to shock and hook.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toe
Your 5.9 makes good low end torque, more then my hemi, so you may have a tougher time trying to get it to hook up.
i wish i had the 5.9. i got the ***** *** 5.2

i guess i will have to see what works best for me. haven't been to the track since the tranny blew after doing it last summer. just a little apprehensive this time around. i shall report back though.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quik
since the dodge has no powre try this. lol

stab the throttle let off then floor it. believe or not it works. i told osmeone else to do this and they cut their best 60'. so how it loads the suspension. also take it to about 1000 for a stock stall/combo for abuilt setup 1500rpm stall then let it flash. this works with any vehicle ive driven

but remember its a dodge, dont expect much lol, jk ive seen 1.98 on street tires
yeah i don't expect alot out lf her. kinda like my ex-girlfriend. slow, weighs too damn much, and takes all of my money . biggesst concern is i am sittin at 175k miles right now and don't want to blow her up. but i figure if i do, atleast it was doing something fun.

Quick Reply: Launch techniques