Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

More traction on street vs. drag strip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carfreak07
lol It all comes down to being honest with what you have. I have a decent running silverado too but it has never ran in the 12's......slow on the big end and spinning out of the whole. It has went a best of 13.10 @ 102. now it has been tuned better and the converter will lock in drive to help the big end mph and I have slicks so surely to god it will go 12's.....but I still cant say I have a 12 second truck and it sucks bad! lol I would like to see it go some 12.50's but it will prolly run a 12.99 with my luck or even a 13.0000000001 ha ha

Well I can say I have a 12 second truck now.....went 12.61@105. It woulda done a 12.5x but I had to get on the binders to avoid breaking out....it went 7.93 in the eighth mile that time. Yea I'm off topic but though I would give you guys the update since it was on topic earlier. And what the heck does M/S stand for?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jaguar5822
Here's a quote, since you obviously can't read nor comprehend. If what I stated about the basis of the question was off topic, the OP would have said so. Everyone else gets that, why can't you? As already stated, I can't take my car to the track without getting booted out. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the discussion in the first place, because I would already have proof that one of us is right. Go troll somewhere else.

"The discussion actually stemmed from the OP stating that I would get worse traction at the track, when I get perfect traction on the street. This is on DR's on a mostly stock 2001 SS with an auto. I explained that I never get wheelspin on the street and wouldn't get any on a prepped track, and he argued that because he gets better launches on the street, that I would probably spin I tried to explain the difference in launching an auto and a stick as well as the consistency issues to no avail, and then resorted to insisting I'm a poser and know nothing because I've never taken it to the track."
lol..Ok i'll admit I missed post #20 were the OP stated he had DR's. He was blabbing about his traction issues on the strip vs the street, and since I missed post #20 I assumed he had street tires, which would only make since if he had traction issues at the strip. I understand the fact he's arguing against your setup on the street vs strip by comparing his experience and set-up (which I can't entirely agree with). Since he also has DR's and does in fact have traction issues at the strip I don't see why you wouldn't too...obviously the track isn't prepped well OR he can't launch a stick very well on the track...or maybe both track prep and his launching capabilities.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LMSeven
lol..Ok i'll admit I missed post #20 were the OP stated he had DR's. He was blabbing about his traction issues on the strip vs the street, and since I missed post #20 I assumed he had street tires, which would only make since if he had traction issues at the strip. I understand the fact he's arguing against your setup on the street vs strip by comparing his experience and set-up (which I can't entirely agree with). Since he also has DR's and does in fact have traction issues at the strip I don't see why you wouldn't too...obviously the track isn't prepped well OR he can't launch a stick very well on the track...or maybe both track prep and his launching capabilities.
I dont have DRs.

Its not that i argue his setup, its that i argue his capability to run 12s first time out, with absolutely no track experience.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by carfreak07
Well I can say I have a 12 second truck now.....went 12.61@105. It woulda done a 12.5x but I had to get on the binders to avoid breaking out....it went 7.93 in the eighth mile that time. Yea I'm off topic but though I would give you guys the update since it was on topic earlier. And what the heck does M/S stand for?
Congrats on the improved times M/S is a mud and snow tire.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZQ8Dude
I dont have DRs.

Its not that i argue his setup, its that i argue his capability to run 12s first time out, with absolutely no track experience.
You're original argument was that I would spin on the track with DR's in my auto, even though I don't spin on the street with them; because you get better traction on the street with your street tires in a truck with a manual. This thread was about traction, not times. 95 bright teal's answer was absolutely correct in post 10.

To the other person, ZQ8Dude doesn't have DR's, I do. I explained the actual argument in post 9, which is why I said traction with M/S tires is irrelevant to the discussion.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You're original argument was that I would spin on the track with DR's in my auto, even though I don't spin on the street with them; because you get better traction on the street with your street tires in a truck with a manual. This thread was about traction, not times. 95 bright teal's answer was absolutely correct in post 10.

To the other person, ZQ8Dude doesn't have DR's, I do. I explained the actual argument in post 9, which is why I said traction with M/S tires is irrelevant to the discussion.
LOL! That is 1 person that agrees with you. In the end, put up or shutup.

You have no track experience, so how can you make any comment about what your car will and will not do on the track.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I took a bone stock m6 SS with 1000 miles on it to 13.11@108, my friend who owned the car could only get 13.5xx out of. With just a airlid I went 12.89. All done on street tires. With the mods given I would say the car has the potential to go 12's but would agree that potential does not equal a 12.xxx time slip and can vary alot due to experience racing on a track. DR's at the right pressure will hook better than street tires IMO.

Drop the pressure to 12-14lbs heat em up good, make 1 pass in the 12's then let them kick you off the track. The track wont tell you that you can't run because you have the potential to go faster than 13.99, you have to prove it before they kick you out.

Oh and drop the Predator tune and go with a better custom tune! You wont regret it! I went from a handheld to a Wheatley and the difference is night and day!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

the discussion actually stemmed from the OP stating that I would get worse traction at the track, when I get perfect traction on the street. This is on DR's on a mostly stock 2001 SS with an auto. I explained that I never get wheelspin on the street and wouldn't get any on a prepped track, and he argued that because he gets better launches on the street, that I would probably spin

He doesn't have DRs...Well this argument doesn't favor the OP since he has street tires. He gets worse traction at the strip with street tires than he does on the street (of course!!)...You have DR's in an auto stock-like Fbody. No comparison. Comparing these vehicles is pointless they have completely different transmissions, completely different tires, and are completely different vehicles entirely. Jaguar will more than likely hook at the strip regardless if your truck doesn't because he has DR's!

As for the other discussion, it's a 12 second car.. but will you have 12 second weather with a 12 second driver? Sorry I must have read some things wrong earlier..it's the internet.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZQ8Dude
I dont have DRs.

First run maybe not, but by the end of the night more than likely. Just gotta wait for the lights to drop and experiment with launching, but he's got DR's it will hook with the right PSI and of course right amount of throttle off the line. When he get's it down he's in the 12's, just might take a few runs before hand.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This wasnt an arguement between cars. I know mine is slower right now. I believe this started with an issue of him running 12s in his car first time out with no track experience based on what others have ran. I called BS and then it lead to him talking crap because i have stated that my truck(w/ street radials) seems to hook better on the street. I defended my statement and he put me up to making this particular thread to settle that arguement.

The issue with his cars still rages on until he takes it to the track or concedes that he has not been able to run 12s in his car.

Quick Reply: More traction on street vs. drag strip?