Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

New personal best tonight

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 PM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you elaborate on your IAT results? Ambient temps, starting and ending IATs.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:41 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new best Roger
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome! Way to go!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Congrats on the new best Roger
Thanks Bill!

Originally Posted by Last Call
Can you elaborate on your IAT results? Ambient temps, starting and ending IATs.
Sure will, but let me say this. Although improvements have been made here, I'm definately not completely satisfied with this intercooler setup. It looks like Trick is working on a spacer/bigger intercooler for the MP112. I'm watching & waiting to see one get completed. Until then, my next step for the intercooler system is a larger heat exchanger. Frozen Boost has one that's almost the same dimensions as the CTS-V unit, for a decent price. Too bad it's on backorder.....

On to the IAT comparisons.

Last year I made & recorded 2 runs. Both were 14.3, and the outside temps were in the mid 70's. These temps are after the burnouts. Starting number is sitting at the starting line, 0 mph. Ending number is crossing the finish line.

RUN 1: Starting temp 144* / Ending temp 174* 14.3 ET
RUN 2: Starting temp 144* / Ending temp 174* 14.3 ET

Fast forward to last weekend. Outside temps again are mid 70's, cloudy & trying to rain. Started raining after my 3rd pass, and the track closed early.

RUN 1: No ice in intercooler tank: Starting temp 104* / Ending temp 171* 13.4 ET
Run 2: 3 frozen water bottles: Starting temp 106* / Ending temp 167* 13.1 ET
Run 3: 4 frozen water bottles: Starting temp 99* / Ending temp 165* 13.1 ET
Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the larger tank has a benefit for lowering IAT temps.(after all). Most threads I've read lately say to ditch the larger holding tank and go for the larger intercooler. The gains may be higher with a larger intercooler vs larger tank, but your gains with just a larger tank were significant and more than I would have guessed. I think you just proved previous threads to be inaccurate and backed it up with your data. The combination of adding a larger tank AND larger IC should really help to lower your IAT's.

Nice #s and thanks for posting videos and data.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

The large tank helped the cruise/sitting still temps a bunch. And does help the final number a little. You might have seen even lower number with ICE in the tank getting the water down to 32'f.
A large IC is going to help those numbers greatly. Hope to have something to show you in a couple of weeks. Already have the pattern for the 112/122 just need to get the IC figured out.
Nice to see some results for the larger tanks.

On the L's with the core being of the same size just a different design we are seeing 30' drops with just tap water. And the promod core which is a larger core we are seeing 60'f temp drops at 25psi using tap water.

If we can get those temps in to the 130 range hell even 140 range would alot better then 170.. Thats hot.

I do not think a large HX is going to help the final numbers much.?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I really figured you'd be quicker than that. I guess the exhaust system and weight are really holding you back at this point. A little weight reduction or just a set of catless longtubes should get you in the 12s in similar conditions
Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I really figured you'd be quicker than that. I guess the exhaust system and weight are really holding you back at this point. A little weight reduction or just a set of catless longtubes should get you in the 12s in similar conditions
I agree 150%.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is pretty quick, with all the stuff in it! I hope you come out to the races on the 4th of sept. That's when I will be down there. Might be a good fun run together at t&t in the morning? Was there a bunch of trucks out there at the t&t?
Truck looks and sounds awsome!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Well guys, Alaska Raceway Park had a test n tune tonight, and since I just got the transmission back in, and finished my 2-bar SD tune, I got to try out my intercooler tank. I made 3 passes. First pass with no ice, 2nd pass with 3 frozen water bottles in the tank, and the 3rd pass with 4 of 'em in the tank.

Previous PB was 14.3291 @ 91.27 with the stock Magnacharger intercooler setup. Can't get the scanner to work well tonight, and I left my memory card adapter at the shop. So I will post the timeslips and videos tomorrow.

13.1588 @ 98.25 ...

I ran the truck at full weight, the exact same setup as every day driving. Even has the toolbox in the bed full of crap. I just wanted to see what it could do. It's not a race-truck, it's my DD/tow vehicle.

Next time to the track will involve some weight reduction: Leer, toolbox & contents, tailgate, subwoofers/amps, back seat, etc. Even thinking about dropping the hitch & skidplates, but not sure if I'll actually be that ambitious about it.

Think it might go 12's?

Street tires, 31.5 inches tall(too tall for 3.73 gears), in 4x4. Stock exhaust manifolds, stock y-pipe with cats, and the truck won't shift out of 4x4. Kills me on the top end.

I'll see what it does with less weight next. Then I'll be looking to borrow some 28" slicks, or maybe even 26" since I have the 3.73's.
You just got the trans back & you're already beating on it?

How much of that improvement do u think was helped by the tune?

I think it would go 12's for sure. The Leer is what 200#? Toolbox & contents 50-100? Subs/ amps/ backseat 50-75? Skidplates, well I'm 2wd. The factory hitch is 50-70#, I know I wrote it down somewhere. All that's gotta be 200# or more. Say it's 350#. That'd be 12.8s. I know when I took off my Snugtop, tools & stuff, it was almost pond for pound shown in the times.

If u ran headers & catback, I'd think that alone would help that puppy breathe enuff to see an improvement since it's more beneficial on a S/C unlike a turbo needin backpressure.

Ever try a 2wd launch? Or ... Go get some slicks.

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
...Although improvements have been made here, I'm definitely not completely satisfied with this intercooler setup. It looks like Trick is working on a spacer/bigger intercooler for the MP112. I'm watching & waiting to see one get completed. Until then, my next step for the intercooler system is a larger heat exchanger. Frozen Boost has one that's almost the same dimensions as the CTS-V unit, for a decent price. Too bad it's on backorder.....

On to the IAT comparisons.

Last year I made & recorded 2 runs. Both were 14.3, and the outside temps were in the mid 70's. These temps are after the burnouts. Starting number is sitting at the starting line, 0 mph. Ending number is crossing the finish line.

RUN 1: Starting temp 144* / Ending temp 174* 14.3 ET
RUN 2: Starting temp 144* / Ending temp 174* 14.3 ET

Fast forward to last weekend. Outside temps again are mid 70's, cloudy & trying to rain. Started raining after my 3rd pass, and the track closed early.

RUN 1: No ice in intercooler tank: Starting temp 104* / Ending temp 171* 13.4 ET
Run 2: 3 frozen water bottles: Starting temp 106* / Ending temp 167* 13.1 ET
Run 3: 4 frozen water bottles: Starting temp 99* / Ending temp 165* 13.1 ET
You're leavin a lot on the table.

You need to get 1 of those Trick spacer/ IC & let us know the results.

Very nice gains Roger!!!

Quick Reply: New personal best tonight