Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

New times with new 408... very disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

So you dont know what boost you are at? 10-14 degrees is not allot of timing, unless you are running 15+Psi
Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
So you dont know what boost you are at? 10-14 degrees is not allot of timing, unless you are running 15+Psi
I saw 9lbs yesterday. On my old set up I saw 11.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you might need to turn the sensitivity down a little bit on your knock sensors. I would expect you could run more timing than that even if it is hot outside. I expect your motor NA verse your old 6.0 NA only to be making slightly more power. Your new motor has much more potential thanks to the extra cubes, but will need boost to reach that potential. Your new setup is running less boost, but the same amount of air to a motor that needs more air to make power. Air plus fuel plus timing = power. You need to up the boost to add more air. You may also want to think about adding meth to your setup to help with temps.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gamble686
Sounds like you might need to turn the sensitivity down a little bit on your knock sensors. I would expect you could run more timing than that even if it is hot outside. I expect your motor NA verse your old 6.0 NA only to be making slightly more power. Your new motor has much more potential thanks to the extra cubes, but will need boost to reach that potential. Your new setup is running less boost, but the same amount of air to a motor that needs more air to make power. Air plus fuel plus timing = power. You need to up the boost to add more air. You may also want to think about adding meth to your setup to help with temps.
I'm not sure about the knock sensors. I'm going to send some logs to my tuner this afternoon. I'll see what he says.
I agree with everything else you say. I really struggled with lowering the CR, but we were looking at the potential. I do plan on turning up the boost in the future. Probably sooner than I expected after seeing those numbers. I'm sure I'll need a more dialed in tune though.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are a few questions.

Why would you up the cubes and drop the compression!?! 10:1 isn't high and I am guessing you went with stronger then stock internals. Low static for boost is old school and since it doesn't seem like you plan to boost to 30 psi the extra compression will always help.

Unless it is simply trial runs why wouldn't you add a smaller pulley to make extra boost?(You are disappointed in your times so I am guessing you expected miracles with this first time out set up).

Unless you had a quality tuner give you a dyno tune or at least a logged tune of some WOT pulls I am sure your tune needs help.

Not trying to be a dick but honesty often comes off that way. What I see in this post is that you threw a bunch of money at your truck and have no clue what is going on. Also seems as if the people you listened to for you build advice either aren't that intelligent or didn't give you the whole story.

A 408 with lower then stock compression, and less then before boost(-3 lbs) is probably make less power then stock/boosted. Might make a little more torque but the truck should be nearly the same or slower then before. Get at least the same boost level, make sure the tune is good and aggressive and you will be a little bit faster. Your results confirm that.

Once you get that all worked out you need to turn the boost up to the moon because that is the reason for lowering the compression.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Lower compression, lower boost, and hotter outside with knock! I am surprised you did not lose more on your ET. Get the tune dialed in on a cooler day and no KR and she will shine I am betting. The heat kills ET's. Keep ya head up and keep at it.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Originally Posted by slowec
Lower compression, lower boost, and hotter outside with knock! I am surprised you did not lose more on your ET. .
On top of what I said the heat is working against you big time.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by custm2500
Here are a few questions.

Why would you up the cubes and drop the compression!?! 10:1 isn't high and I am guessing you went with stronger then stock internals. Low static for boost is old school and since it doesn't seem like you plan to boost to 30 psi the extra compression will always help.

Unless it is simply trial runs why wouldn't you add a smaller pulley to make extra boost?(You are disappointed in your times so I am guessing you expected miracles with this first time out set up).

Unless you had a quality tuner give you a dyno tune or at least a logged tune of some WOT pulls I am sure your tune needs help.

Not trying to be a dick but honesty often comes off that way. What I see in this post is that you threw a bunch of money at your truck and have no clue what is going on. Also seems as if the people you listened to for you build advice either aren't that intelligent or didn't give you the whole story.

A 408 with lower then stock compression, and less then before boost(-3 lbs) is probably make less power then stock/boosted. Might make a little more torque but the truck should be nearly the same or slower then before. Get at least the same boost level, make sure the tune is good and aggressive and you will be a little bit faster. Your results confirm that.

Once you get that all worked out you need to turn the boost up to the moon because that is the reason for lowering the compression.
Yeah, you pretty much sound like a dick.
Wow, I wonder if all of your posts are like this.
I'm not a mechanic, but I have been working on this truck little by little for almost 10 years, and I'm pretty proud. I have "thrown" a lot of money at the truck after a lot of research. I don't want it to blow it up.

I'm looking for help and advice in this thread, not your jackass attitude.
Texas Speed built the shortblock with their recommendations. I think they know what they are doing.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Well I was offering advice from the side that you must not have understood what was going to happen. That means you didn't ask enough questions, or didn't have intelligent people leading the way. It sounds like most of the advice given was top notch but you just didn't get the whole story about need a lot more boost to make a lot more power.

Boar and stoking and engine doesn't make a big difference(6.0-408 anyhow) in power by it's self. Typically added compression, or simply better heads is where most of the power is made. Obviously you found this out the hard way. Where your performance gains will come from is boost like we have all said.

When you turn the boost up and get the tune dialed in this truck will rip up some stuff. Expecting that to happen on your first time out with low boost is were you went wrong.

P.S. Sorry honesty has upset you. I certainly don't wish you bad luck but you should have and idea what is going to happen when spending all that money. It certainly saves you from getting to the track the first time and feeling like you just wasted 5 grand on a 408.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSmikeSS
I'm not sure about the knock sensors. I'm going to send some logs to my tuner this afternoon. I'll see what he says.
I agree with everything else you say. I really struggled with lowering the CR, but we were looking at the potential. I do plan on turning up the boost in the future. Probably sooner than I expected after seeing those numbers. I'm sure I'll need a more dialed in tune though.
Who is your tuner? That engine has a lot more to give you. I bet it's in the tune.
What injectors are you running?

Quick Reply: New times with new 408... very disappointed