Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

not so good track times

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weather could obviously be a factor here, but those mods should have gained you enough to be as fast in the heat as in the cold without them. I'd say you have a tuning issue to deal with or when the intake was put back on something happened to the knock sensor wires. If they are cut, shorted, or just not plugged in you'll be way down on power.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you go to Douglas?

Not sure why you would go back to a 3.42 gear unless you are spraying, turbo, or supercharged.

My truck has 4.11's and it is making over 450rwhp...i am still bedating putting 4:30's or 4:56's in it since i will only ever be NA...
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by TIM Z
Hmmm, im sure something is up,

Your truck runs good and puts down good times, prob the heat like cajun said.

I am having similair issues with timing bieng pulled during run.

Did you log your runs??
no i didnt get a chance to log them but i plan to borrow a friends HPTuners next time i hit the track to keep a close eye on everything

Originally Posted by fastrt
was it retuned for the intake? The converter was not flashing as much due to the gear swap. A 3.42 should flash higher than the 3.90. So I have been told.
i took it to a local guy who has always set me up right but not sure what he changed for the intake

Originally Posted by smokeshow
I'd be willing to bet it was just atmospheric differences that made up that difference. Assuming the new intake and gears were tuned for.
hoping thats the case

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
Yank SS converters favor taller gears over what people normally think would be ideal gearing.I'm running a ss4000 in my camaro with 26 tall tires and 3.42's.Without a doubt going over the logs,g-tech,and gps they all show that taller gears would net me quicker/faster times.With the higher engine stall speeds and torque multiplication like that of the SS series.They pull so much harder at the bottom of every gear.The vehicle doesn't require shorter gears that are often used to keep engine rpm's up throughout the run.Now there's obviously gonna be a point of diminishing return using too tall of a gear but,IMO 3.42 or 3.23's are gonna work best for you.
Keep in mind you have also dramatically lowered the stall point by making it easier for the converter to move the truck.You now have higher 60' times cause,the truck moves out before the engine&converters inertia builds to a optimal point.Think of a converter as a energy storage for the rotating mass.The higher stall speed (or point when the turbines release fluid towards the strator)the more inertia is built up.Now this is given the engine is in its powerband at the stall point.Fluid is then released and effectively gets muitiplied by the strator. Giving the engine more mechanical leverage against the vehicle/drivetrain.
thanks for the break down...looks like im just going to have to restall the yank to get that 60ft down..cant afford to swap those gears again right now

Originally Posted by zippy
Weather could obviously be a factor here, but those mods should have gained you enough to be as fast in the heat as in the cold without them. I'd say you have a tuning issue to deal with or when the intake was put back on something happened to the knock sensor wires. If they are cut, shorted, or just not plugged in you'll be way down on power.
yea thats whats i was thinking..hopefully we will be able to see something out of the ordinary when i throw it on the dyno at EFI Alchemy

Originally Posted by gnd111
Did you go to Douglas?

Not sure why you would go back to a 3.42 gear unless you are spraying, turbo, or supercharged.

My truck has 4.11's and it is making over 450rwhp...i am still bedating putting 4:30's or 4:56's in it since i will only ever be NA...
this last run was at the Savannah River Dragway...i hope i dont have to go back to the 3.42(just took them out!) but whatever gets me the fastest ET N/A
Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

here, figure out your DA between the 2 runs. this link will do all of the work for you. btw, if i havent told you, i love your truck. ive been searching for a pewter scsb stepside s10 do toss a v8 into for a while now. everything out there seems to be beat to hell.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a ss4000, and ran it with 3.23's and now with 4.11's. No doubt runs better with the 4.11's. It still has the same shift ext rpm as with the 3.23's. I think it was in the DA and or maybe a tuning issue. The gears didn't hurt your e.t.'s, if that was the case I'd throw my 3.23's back in...lol. Hell dave at yank is the one that told me the ideal gear for the converter would be a 4.10 with truck height tires or 3.73's with shorter tires like the f-body's.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Use savannah dragway off of that calculator, but i know what needs to go on the truck next!!..................................
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rhino79
I run a ss4000, and ran it with 3.23's and now with 4.11's. No doubt runs better with the 4.11's. It still has the same shift ext rpm as with the 3.23's. I think it was in the DA and or maybe a tuning issue. The gears didn't hurt your e.t.'s, if that was the case I'd throw my 3.23's back in...lol. Hell dave at yank is the one that told me the ideal gear for the converter would be a 4.10 with truck height tires or 3.73's with shorter tires like the f-body's.
OK,I was gonna let it ride with some of you guys saying "ohh its not the gears"Bullshit it is the biggest part of his issue.Ill stand behind that.Rino your truck is a not even a good comparison c'mon man a 5000# CC 4.8 with 3.23's.I bet you got a 29.5 tall tire too.Figure it out a 4.10 with a 29.5 tall tire is close to the same ratio as 3.42's with a 26 tall tire from the engine tranny's prospective.So yeah of course your 3.23's for your 4.8 with 5000#'s strapped to its *** is gonna run better with 4.10's.Dotnt forget I said there is a point of diminishing return.If someone has a legitimate theroy then back it up and explain why he has problem.Don't sit and fire off **** cause, you think somthins wrong.Seems most people here don't take any time to even understand the vehicles setup just wanna run their post count up LOL.

Sorry,You guys yanked my tampon a lil on that one.What can I say sometimes you get it out...

Last edited by SincalT/A; 06-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
here, figure out your DA between the 2 runs. this link will do all of the work for you. btw, if i havent told you, i love your truck. ive been searching for a pewter scsb stepside s10 do toss a v8 into for a while now. everything out there seems to be beat to hell.

http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...calculator.php
thanks for the calculator and comment..the weather was defiantly a big factor..the humidity was at 80% and temp. was 80 degrees that night..and hopefully something in good condition will show up so you can do that..just go ahead and do the 6.0 so you can run 11s all day long on motor!

Originally Posted by Rhino79
ill probably give dave a call in the morning and tell him my exact setup and see what he has to say..thanks for the input

Originally Posted by 00buckshot
Use savannah dragway off of that calculator, but i know what needs to go on the truck next!!..................................
a lil N20!

Originally Posted by SincalT/A
OK,I was gonna let it ride with some of you guys saying "ohh its not the gears"Bullshit it is the biggest part of his issue.Ill stand behind that.Rino your truck is a not even a good comparison c'mon man a 5000# CC 4.8 with 3.23's.I bet you got a 29.5 tall tire too.Figure it out a 4.10 with a 29.5 tall tire is close to the same ratio as 3.42's with a 26 tall tire from the engine tranny's prospective.So yeah of course your 3.23's for your 4.8 with 5000#'s strapped to its *** is gonna run better.Dont forget I said there is a point of diminishing return.If someone has a legitimate theroy then back it up and explain why he has problem.Don't sit and fire off **** cause, you think somthins wrong.Seems most people here don't take any time to even understand the vehicles setup just wanna run their post count up LOL.

Sorry,You guys yanked my tampon a lil on that one.What can I say sometimes you get it out...
haha. get em son!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Launching!

My 01 Sierra with 460rwhp runs 12.4's @ 112(ish) with 4.11's on a 28.5 tire. I think it has it can go a little quicker (but not much) with the stock 78mm TB and stock LQ9 intake.

I didn't even know Savannah had a track.

Last edited by gnd111; 06-07-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Launching!

I'm sure its the heat/weather like the others have said.Hell I installed an Harris speedworks plate system awhile back but its been too damn hot to go to the track and get pissed off at the times because of the heat.Lol Good luck.Mike

Quick Reply: not so good track times