Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Ran in the 1/8th Crappy Results, Seeking input

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zippy
The tires aren't the problem. You aren't putting down more power than others have with 26" tires. Launching harder isn't going to fix it either. There is a problem with the suspension with how you have it lowered. You could try clamping the springs to help it out. Either way you need to look over the suspension for the problem. Pinion angle could be the issue, but it's likely spring seperation. I've worked on a few Silverado''s for this problem and it's pretty much always a suspension issue. For referrence your trap speed is 1.7mph faster than my 1/8' when I ran the 14.04.
you so smart.

i didnt even think about the spring tension/seperation with him being lowered.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry if it sounded like I was insulting your idea of launching harder. I wasn't posting to insult anyone's idea, but trying to get my point across. The same thing with the 26" tire idea. There are alot of these trucks in the 12's on the 26" tire. You may get some spin from a small tire, but it won't cause wheel hop.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

no offense taken buddy

i just didnt like the way a 26" felt. i was taching out with a 4.11 gear also.

he most likely could benefit from quite a few of these points.

i didnt mean to sound like an insulted smart ***. LOL i really do think you are intelligent and knowledgeable. it is refreshing.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the things I've found with the short rear tire is that you also need to have a short front tire when you run them. If you have alot of rear lean from a short rear tire and taller front tire that has also been a cause for some traction or suspension problems. A good example is some of the RGV trucks. A few of them are running a very short tire on trucks that sit very low. They are also running a tire in front that is just as short as the back.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

spring clamps, correct pinion angle, more tuning, go back
Old 03-16-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
spring clamps, correct pinion angle, more tuning, go back
this fool stole the words outa my mouth...

clamp that overload, set the pinion angle around -2 or -3* and put the slicks around 17psi. wheel hop is the result of slack in the rear suspension or incorrect pinion angle. two easy things to correct. my bet is on the pinion angle since youve only done a flip kit.

you are notched right?
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

id be willing to bet its going to take a carrier bearing relocate and shims to get it straightened out.... if your carrier is already moved, id definitely find out where you sit now (angle wise) and get the shims you need and slap'em in..... spring clamps mainly just stop the spring pack from "teeter-totter'ing" once rotational force is placed on it via the axle tube and spring perch plate..... (big way to say axle wrap)

if that doesnt cut it, youve either got a shock problem or your springs themselves are wrapping and its more than the overload, this is why I took my overload out
Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 AM
12 Second Truck Club

26" slicks should be fine. like everyone else said get your pinion angle to -2* and you might want to look into a softer shock, i've read doetsch tech are pretty firm. IMO yo should be in the low 8s
Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks guys this gives me a ton of things to try. Yes Stu I am notched. As far as suspension travel, I have no issues.

-Clamp overload
-Set correct pinion angle
-carrier bearing
-I also have some air shocks so I'll install those so I have some adjustability with the firmness of the shock.

Also, I think either way I'm eventually going to need some cal-tracs so I may keep my eye out for a used set or just save my pennies for new ones.

Thanks a ton fellas. I can't say enough how helpful everyone has been.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Hunt&Fisherator

no problem

instead of the cal-tracs, if youre looking into a less expensive alternative, look into building your own long bars.... buying all new materials and doing the work yourself, you'd probably have less than half the cost of cal-tracs into them...

Quick Reply: Ran in the 1/8th Crappy Results, Seeking input