Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Regular cab drag setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rancho rs9000 adjustable shocks with qa1 mounting brackets is a good budget drag setup. They are like $200 for a pair
Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still looking and amazed at how many people race these trucks and there is no more talk on suspension than there is. I will spend the money IF I can get a set up that will hook. I know people have done these things , they just don't want to post about them for some reason.

things I wonder if anyone has tried...
daily drive lakewood 90/10's
jdm lightning drag springs
alter front bushing to swing more freely
summit cheap drag shocks
run only one leaf and coilovers
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

several guys have run the qa1's with a 90/10 up front, and a 50/50 out back. If you are looking for adjustablilty then qa1's have adjustable shocks for the rear. Obviously no sway bar and 90/10 on a daily driver is sketchy.

If you make any kind of power I would never run a mono leaf, you are doing all you can to try and keep the axle from wrapping to reduce wheel hop but want to transfer the weight.......... pull the overload spring, throw on some 90/10's with no sway up front, (I ran rancho 9 ways with decent ext cab 60' of 1.79 @ 5600lbs) but they only have one adjustment for preload/dampning......not the best but its a budget shock.

Aslo others have said a rear sway bar/anti roll helps keep both tires planted..... I will test this theory soon. I am building another set of long bars or some type of traction device to try soon on a reg cab.

I know not much help but just figured I toss my thoughts in the mix.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for your input. For the record , I have some nice long bars that keep axle wrap from happening and I currenty have 2" shackles and no overload leaf. And it is still raked!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

All the fastest leaf spring cars are mono leaf.

I've been as fast as 1.58 60' on completely stock suspension plus homemade bars.

I'm now mono leaf with smith Racecraft bars, rancho adjustable shocks, sway bar still connected up front, with stock 120,000 mile shocks and heated up springs to lower it. I plan to remove sway bar and add adjustable ranchos to the front too

The summit adjustable shocks are junk. For our trucks anyways. We're just too heavy. Been there, done that.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for input. What leaf are you running? I have cut a 1.61 on my longbars/shackle/removed overload leaf setup. That was leaving at 1 lb of boost. I can brake stall 5 lbs and I have a trans brake I cannot use (because of traction). I am looking to do more that just dip in the 1.5X's .
Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by slowec
I am still looking and amazed at how many people race these trucks and there is no more talk on suspension than there is. I will spend the money IF I can get a set up that will hook. I know people have done these things , they just don't want to post about them for some reason.

things I wonder if anyone has tried...
daily drive lakewood 90/10's
jdm lightning drag springs
alter front bushing to swing more freely
summit cheap drag shocks
run only one leaf and coilovers
Originally Posted by slowec
Thanks for input. What leaf are you running? I have cut a 1.61 on my longbars/shackle/removed overload leaf setup. That was leaving at 1 lb of boost. I can brake stall 5 lbs and I have a trans brake I cannot use (because of traction). I am looking to do more that just dip in the 1.5X's .
If your looking for 1.5 60's it really doesn't get any simpler than the combo I've shared on this forum over and over again. People make this more difficult than it really is.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Blown06, you forgot to post a link to this formula...
Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Regular cab short bed suspension formula for 1.5 60's on a 4/6 drop:

Front:
2" drop spindles
2" drop springs
QA1 12 way adjustables (will take very little modification to fit properly)
Remove front sway bar (you won't even notice it gone when shocks are set for street driving)
Correct alignment

Rear:
6" flip kit
C-notch
Clamp overload leaf in front only
QA1 12 way adjustables (both mounted straight up and down on back of rearend)
4* axle shims to reset driveshaft angle
Slicks

It took me 3 trips to the track to get the shocks dialed in where I thought they where perfect. If I remeber right, for me it was 5 clicks in the front and 4 clicks in the back.

With good power and correct converter/gear this setup is easy and deadly. No need for traction bars, aftermarket leafsprings, leafspring disassembly, aftermarket sway bars, shitty springs or shocks.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks man! Taking the time to post the info that helps others is what makes this site great. THANKS for taking the time to add it to this thread!

Quick Reply: Regular cab drag setup questions