Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

track intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why would u want to force more air than needed... wouldnt that mess up your A/F ratio ?? the engine "sucks" in the air that it needs. on another note, people dont take off the headlight to force more air, its to get colder air to the filter.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts

well i knew most would not like it but i still thought id share. first i will say of course it looks kind of rediculous , but when it comes to track times or going faster if it works doesnt matter what it looks like imo. now with that said i dont go driving around with this thing, dont drive to the track with it on, takes 5min to put on and off. honestly i think only one or two people noticed it when walking by my truck and did a double take because of a cone sticking out from stock looking headlight(really doesnt stick out as bad and show as that top pic makes it seem)..
i did think about cutting the cone down and moving it back, but i wanted to try and get it out in front enough of the front wall of air that goes around the nose if that makes sense so thats why its sticking out sort of.
im gonna try and get actual with/without info, but had a bad first outing and track is closed for season so it will have to wait til next year, i really do think it will help..
Old 11-11-2009, 11:26 PM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gtosilverado
why would u want to force more air than needed... wouldnt that mess up your A/F ratio ?? the engine "sucks" in the air that it needs. on another note, people dont take off the headlight to force more air, its to get colder air to the filter.
Did this not sound rediculous to anyone else. When it comes to making HP theres no such thing as too much air, provided you have enough fuel. If tuned properly the computer will adjust for the extra air and keeps the AFR's in line.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown06
Did this not sound rediculous to anyone else. When it comes to making HP theres no such thing as too much air, provided you have enough fuel. If tuned properly the computer will adjust for the extra air and keeps the AFR's in line.
I was thinking the same thing.

How do you think superchargers and turbos work? haha
Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
I was thinking the same thing.

How do you think superchargers and turbos work? haha
yes, but they are tuned accordingly, as opposed to a n/a tune.... if you tune it with that "track intake" on, then yeah it might work.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm. why not make the 4 inch pipe down to the front bumper like some people do and let it blow air on the filter. then you have a hidden, all the time cool air gain?

and your times are pretty good. my old truck,stock 05 extended cab with a 5.3, intake, no muffler, and a superchips ran 14.7 at 93 with stock general tires.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
hmm. why not make the 4 inch pipe down to the front bumper like some people do and let it blow air on the filter. then you have a hidden, all the time cool air gain?
well main reason is water, my truck is pretty low and is one less thing to worry about when driving in rain unlike some of my previous setups ive had in past trucks. i agree it def would be colder all the time, just need as much as that cold air as you can get at the track..
the 3"-4" transition is really the only thing i dont like about what i made, but there is no way to fit 4" tube thru the headlight area so thats all i could do. ideally on incoming air you want to go bigger to smaller to keep velocity up, sorta like the reverse of exhaust..
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gtosilverado
yes, but they are tuned accordingly, as opposed to a n/a tune.... if you tune it with that "track intake" on, then yeah it might work.
i would agree with you on SD system, but thats what the maf is there for, to read the incoming air to a certain extent..
Old 11-12-2009, 07:57 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Flush it out with the headlight to make it a little more stealth and I think you've got a nice alternative to the empty eye socket look for the track. cool
Old 11-12-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BadAssChevy327
Is there a way to run 4 inch piping there EASILY?

Quick Reply: track intake