Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Traction problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traction problems

Went to the 1/8 track here locally with a new set of Nitto drag radials and I was having bad traction probs.Trying to cut dn on the 60'times,well that didnt happen.It was worse.2.2 60',spinning at the line and when it hit 2nd gear.Hell I was running better times with my street radials (2.0).Am I not heating them up enough or is it the brand of D.R.? The rear end is a 10 bolt 373 posi with caltracs.I would appreciate any advise that would make it better.Mike
Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

245 tire is pretty small trying to hold back 350RWHP. Nittos like to be be heated up though, once they start to smoke, hold it a little bit longer then roll out.

If you have a 8" rim, stuff a 275/40 on there.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With an S10 you don't need much tire if you get the suspension working for you. Doing the burnout right is very important for starters. Drive around the water if possible. Back into the water. Wait for the ok to light them up and when you get that ok, pull out of the water before you do the burnout. You can just do the burnout without any water, but that is very hard on parts. Make absolutely sure that both tires are wet and that both spin once you begin spinning them. If not you can kill your limited slip on the spot. Pulling out of the water just a bit can make sure you don't spray the bed of the truck with water causing water to drip off it at the starting line and making the next racer mad. Keeping water off the front tires really helps if you have a normal street tire on the front as you can drip water on the starting line from them causing problems for your launch. Do your burnout manually shifting the trans. The 60E is stronger in manual mode and burnouts are stressfull on the clutches. Don't go right to wide open, only use enough throtle to get the rpm up quickly and shift to second at around 5500-6000rpm. Once you've shifted, let off the line lock/brake and spin them for about 10 feet. That's all the burnout you'll need. This should take only about 5 seconds all together. Line up at the light in the tracks that everyone else is running. That is where the track will be heated the most and it should be most sticky there. For tire pressure you'll want to run as much as possible to keep rolling resistance down, but remember that it's an S10. S10 is a very front biased vehicle for weight. Run the rear tires down to about 22psi for a 235-245 tire and 18psi for a 275 tire. It sounds low, but there isn't much weight on them which is why you run them low. Some cars from the factory recomend tire pressures in the 20's (check the door tire pressure sticker if you don't believe me). These pressures should be checked cold though as the burnout will raise the pressures up about 3-4psi in warm weather. For launching some make the mistake of pre-loading the converter as hard as possible. Try launching off idle or with a 1200rpm pre-load. Left foot on the brake and right on the gas. On green stab the gas and let off the brake as if it were a clutch pedal all in one movement. I've pulled some killer 60' times in S10 trucks and helped alot with others. One of my friends trucks that I was helping with pulled a 1.51 60' on the way to a 10.64 pass with a 235/60R15 Mickey Thompson drag radial. That was with Bell Tech shocks, springs, spindles, and Cal Trac's.

Here is an example for you. I didn't have to pull out of the water on this one since there was only enough water there for the pavement to be wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9xef0XANBE