Drag Racing Fastest Truck List inside, sortable for any make/model/engine listed.
TIME SLIP DATABASE

Vince got me to Pinks

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vince got me to Pinks

Vince came through on the trans, and did an excellent job! It works flawlessly . Although The damn pro tree kicked my *** so I didn't get to use the trans brake...I tried it once. I was wondering if I was ever going to get everything working together, either I would screw up on the tree or the truck wouldn't respond to the changes. Only got 4 runs in from thursday night till saturday afternoon. But on the fourth run it was the first arm drop run and we had uped the boost and timming and I had to make a good run. When he dropped his hands I had some boost building and it took off like a bat out of hell I ,part way down the track it made some noises that I thought was detonation so I let out and got back in it twice , crossed the traps at 80% throttle and still ran a 10.80. Got back to the pits and checked the log, hardly any knock but it did show lean for some reason. Anyway they picked the 9.60 to 9.80 group. I went to have fun ..and I did, so it was worth it.
I was looking around on the engine today and saw some coolant on the passenger side of the block so I figure I lifted a head or something like that...I'll look closer tomorrow at the shop...maybe it won't be to bad.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats man, That's cool. When will they air the show, maybe we will see you on there!

What type of gas were you running, put some race gas in there and don't worry about the heads.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are right at the max safe limit on boost with factory casting heads. Any detonation would lift them in the 15 psi range IMO. Probably no harm done though.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Congrats man, That's cool. When will they air the show, maybe we will see you on there!

What type of gas were you running, put some race gas in there and don't worry about the heads.
Thanks, it was fun to experience the whole deal. They said it's supposed to be the first show of the new season, it will be about July.
I had a mixture of 114 and 93 hell I'm not sure what the boost was the log said 13.9... it was more than that.

Originally Posted by TurboGibbs
You are right at the max safe limit on boost with factory casting heads. Any detonation would lift them in the 15 psi range IMO. Probably no harm done though.
Maybe I can put some leakstop in it till I can get some heads.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet that was fun!

Why run some leakstop? Can you not wait until you get some heads and headstuds ro run it next?
Old 11-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. I will be looking for that show, you should def get some tv time, with a NBS going into the 10's

John
Old 11-16-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats not everyone can say they were on pinks all out, they will probably air the show in December since they will barely be showing the CA one on thanksgiving.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CurtD
Thanks, it was fun to experience the whole deal. They said it's supposed to be the first show of the new season, it will be about July.
I had a mixture of 114 and 93 hell I'm not sure what the boost was the log said 13.9... it was more than that.

Maybe I can put some leakstop in it till I can get some heads.
If it was minor you may not have hurt anything. The MLS gaskets are designed to move around some. It may stay sealed up.
The thing to do would be to go back with the LS9 head gaskets. They are a 5 layer vs the 3 layer you have. The extra layers is to allow more movement and maintain seal on the boosted ZR1 engine. They weren't out yet when your motor went together.

He has head studs already.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of those LS9 head gaskets sitting here at work. They are a pretty impressive setup. They are thick enough though that they will drop compression some on a normal setup.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 PM
9 Second Club

mine measure about the same as the 6.0 gaskets...,051-.054

Quick Reply: Vince got me to Pinks