Drivetrain & Suspension Transmission | Gearing | Traction

Rear axle snaped

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, how many Dodge axles have broke from just driving down the road? Is it a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? Do they off road? How much power are the putting down? How hard do they drive it? Do they race? Had they hit anything earlier? Had someone test drove the truck before they bought it and beat on it? Had they let a relative borrow it that hit something and didn't tell them? You guys are the experts...

I'm not saying I haven't read of a couple breaking but I'm not rushing to have mine checked out. I don't know what they did to it, how it was driven, if anything happened to it before they bought it. And, I'm not so closed minded to think only one brand has problems.

As for the hemi tick- change the oil weight or take your aftermarket air intake off and put your stock back on if it bothers you... it'll go away.

Last edited by ColtSteele; 11-17-2005 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ColtSteele
So, how many Dodge axles have broke from just driving down the road? Is it a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive? Do they off road? How much power are the putting down? How hard do they drive it? Do they race? Had they hit anything earlier? Had someone test drove the truck before they bought it and beat on it? Had they let a relative borrow it that hit something and didn't tell them? You guys are the experts...

I'm not saying I haven't read of a couple breaking but I'm not rushing to have mine checked out. I don't know what they did to it, how it was driven, if anything happened to it before they bought it. And, I'm not so closed minded to think only one brand has problems.

As for the hemi tick- change the oil weight or take your aftermarket air intake off and put your stock back on if it bothers you... it'll go away.

What is your idea of a low percentage?How many hemi owners on the DTW site? say 200.There have been roughly 10-12 reports on that site of axles snapping.Happend to one guy 2 times.First time his wife was driving slow and took out the side on the bed. The next time he was driving and it wiped out the whole side. Dodge wrote him a fat check and bought his truck back.Someone will die,its a matter of time.

One more question,would you say DC has a high or low hemi engine failure rate?New un-modded trucks with less than 36K miles?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

I've been on DTW for a while and I don't recall that many occurances. I'm going to go search (not long, the search feature sucks over there) to see what I can find. But to say DTW shows a good percentage of dodge truck owners... I would say that DTW does NOT show a good percentage of dodge truck owners. Heck there are over 300 GSM kits on hemis in the US and maybe 3 of them are on DTW. I read a couple of the posts on the axles. I know the one you are taking about it happening to twice- he had nitrous on that truck I believe. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but I am saying is it isn't an everyday, every week or every month occurance. You don't see posts about broken axles everytime you check active topics unless its you guys over there keeping it on the front page beating that dead horse. All I'm saying is it is not a "problem" and we (you, me, or anyone besides the owner) REALLY don't know what happened to the trucks that broke. How they drove it- if they hit anything- etc.
There are dodges putting down close to and some over 500rwhp launching on drag radials with the stock axles and not one has snapped. That tell sme whatever has happened has to be somewhat isolated instances.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

looking forward to your report
Old 12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

I used the search (what a joke) and came up with 2 definites and 1 someone heard about (I'm not saying that's all) - all were 03's. The one guy in FL and the guy that it happened twice to (sky or something). I'll look for more but it appears to be 03's that it happened to. With the power I'm going to be putting down I'll probably look to swap out my axles when I do the tranny anyway, especially if we can figure out how to get a 727 in it.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Toe
TECH Regular

*cough* there are 43,714 members on DTW, granted at least half of them own something other then a hemi, but that's 2 confirmed in 20,000.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Toe
*cough* there are 43,714 members on DTW, granted at least half of them own something other then a hemi, but that's 2 confirmed in 20,000.

From your post you believe that there have been only 2 snapped axle issues?And you also believe there or 20K hemi 1/2 ton truck owners viewing that forum?Is this your belief?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Toe
TECH Regular

2 reported on that forum. Forsure there are more then 2 out there, but there's also a heck of a lot more hemi's out there then on that site. 20K is a guess, and only a guess, but that hemi forum has more posts in it then the desiel, gen2, gen1, and dakota forums combined. It's an asstimation (pulling it out of my ***) but I am willing to bet my number is a hell of a lot closer then your 200 members. More people drive dodges then you think Gonzo.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Veteran

OK lets find out,lets have coltsteel do it because he is diplomatic and respected.Colt start a post over there in such an inviting way that people will want to respond and honestly,ask how many broken axles have been reported over the years on this forum.Wait a couple days for a responses to come in and then ask for peoples opinion of how many Hemi truck owners have posted on hemi forum.Now if you give it away that this poll is coming from here then people wont answer honestly.So dont sour it.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Toe
TECH Regular

To humor you I did a search over there for axle break 3 posts and axle broke 19 posts, in 3-4 different threads. Yah that search engine is a joke there.

Also did the same here, 45 posts on axle break, and 38 on axle broke, with several cross over posts.

I still say these axles aren't going to break unless your doing something stupid like fish tailing into a curb with the 82lb 20's on. Much greater chance of a rear end going or something then the axle snapping.

Quick Reply: Rear axle snaped