Notices
Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Lightning guys, hooking up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lightning guys, hooking up?

Well, I always here how well the Lightnings hook up from the factory. What is the secret? The GM trucks just have a leaf spring/shock rear suspension from the factory. Anything special about the Lightning rear suspension or is it the same?

Thanks guys.

<---GM Owner.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just have a leaf spring setup with billsteen shocks. I just leave at idle and roll into the trottle and hook pretty good. If I stage it up and floor it Ill spin to the 60 ft mark. I have a few mods but still stock boost. I have a AF1 intake with power pipe, flex a lite electric fans, line valve mod in trans valve body,and xcalibrator from mike troyer at troyerperformance.com. It runs bout a 8.71 in the 1/8.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Well, I always here how well the Lightnings hook up from the factory. What is the secret? The GM trucks just have a leaf spring/shock rear suspension from the factory. Anything special about the Lightning rear suspension or is it the same?

Thanks guys.

<---GM Owner.

L's with a good driver on a decent track should be able to hook 1.9xx-2.0xx 60ft. times in stock trim. The Eagle F-1's are actually a great tire but wear like a drag radial. No secrets other than everything talked about so far!

Jason
Old 07-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Adkoonerstrator

So it might just be a combination of the tire/shock/launch technique then. I do know that letting the truck roll out just a tiny bit definately helps keep the tires from going up in smoke. 1.9-2.0 60ft time is right there with what I could get in my camaro on stock tires so that's a pretty good launch though.
Old 07-03-2005, 03:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by mickey03L
We just have a leaf spring setup with billsteen shocks. I just leave at idle and roll into the trottle and hook pretty good. If I stage it up and floor it Ill spin to the 60 ft mark. I have a few mods but still stock boost. I have a AF1 intake with power pipe, flex a lite electric fans, line valve mod in trans valve body,and xcalibrator from mike troyer at troyerperformance.com. It runs bout a 8.71 in the 1/8.
What's your mph in the 1/8th?
Old 07-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Launching!

1Blown04,
my mph was 85.52. that run was
rt: .556
60ft: 2.005 track was slick and i was spinning til 60ft
et: 8.71
mph 85.52
Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
So it might just be a combination of the tire/shock/launch technique then. I do know that letting the truck roll out just a tiny bit definately helps keep the tires from going up in smoke. 1.9-2.0 60ft time is right there with what I could get in my camaro on stock tires so that's a pretty good launch though.

What size and type tires are you running?
Most guys run a type of traction bar as well, more for safety than traction.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Teching In

I'm running 285 50r18's up front and 295's in the back...I am completely stock except the drop and I can put it about 3/4 to the floor and get a chirp(not thinking the tires are spinnin)(in a straight line)and look back and there's 15ft black marks...the control on these trucks is remarkable. Of course I have a heavy bed cover and 2 tires in the back just in case... so that weighs it down along w/the drop it hooks excellent. During cooler weather it's a different story.

Oh and I'm running Kumho's, and nanking(sp?) on the back
-Brad
Old 07-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Originally Posted by OH-MAN
What size and type tires are you running?
Most guys run a type of traction bar as well, more for safety than traction.
285/60/17's all the way around. They're junk AVS Yokohamas though. They got real hard after a little driving on them. With just a bolt on 5.3L they still go up in smoke though which sucks. I'm putting on a set of Cal trac bars very soon that should help load the tires better hopefully. When I wear these out you think I should try a set of the F1s that you guys use? How are they for a overall daily tire?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Launching!

F1s are a pretty decent tire for everyday driving, goodyear just likes them alot at bout 219 a tire. I hooked pretty good on the f1s, havnt tried to much with the nittos yet.

Quick Reply: Lightning guys, hooking up?