Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

5.3 dyno results with tr220 cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jophuss36
I also have 32.6x 12 with stock 373 let us know how much it helps! I was thinking about doing the same!
Will do. Actually I have the 20inch wheels from the Gmc texas edition on my truck.. they measure about 31.9 inches tall..

4.56's will give us about a 3.90 overall ratio.. plenty of low end grunt and with the old geezer cam will really twist those u-joints..
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
very nice #'s!
looks similar to mine except i put down 340/340 SAE

this just goes to show everyone that it doesn't take a big cam to make good power. the good thing about this is you have excellent torque down low and it can still pull up top too. funny thing is these lobes are well over i'd say at the least 7 years old. i'll also go ahead and say it is probably the best off the shelf cam for the 5.3.

Exactly what I was looking at, I don't care if it sounds cool in the driveway or makes 800 hp at 6500 rpms (thats a joke, just exageration). I want it to make more power down low, I am not ever gonna run my truck up to where the big cams make their power Tire shredding tourqe, sotp is what matters to the daily driver trucks. I can still see by the graph though you still need somewhat of a stall convertor to make good use of its power though.
What is the stock stall speed and some other options.
Like the tb one, aftermarket, etc. I know the tb one can be had for only like 200 bucks or something.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JYount
Exactly what I was looking at, I don't care if it sounds cool in the driveway or makes 800 hp at 6500 rpms (thats a joke, just exageration). I want it to make more power down low, I am not ever gonna run my truck up to where the big cams make their power Tire shredding tourqe, sotp is what matters to the daily driver trucks. I can still see by the graph though you still need somewhat of a stall convertor to make good use of its power though.
What is the stock stall speed and some other options.
Like the tb one, aftermarket, etc. I know the tb one can be had for only like 200 bucks or something.
i said that until i went to the track. Now I want a screamer up top
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lc2SFIv6
No.. it will need a stall... and to get the full benefit with any internal combustion engine..

get it in.. get it out... need headers to be effective.

Torque? Im going with the old man cam in my z71.. makes great torque and will be running 4.56 gears.. I have 32 tall tires with the stock 3.73 gears.. talk about killing my gear!
wrong....dont "need" a stall with this cam...im running it in a ECSB Z71 with stock converter and its good off the line....need 4WD to hook at that. A 3K stall would put it in the better part of the powerband sure but a stall is not needed. I would reccomend LT's with this cam though
Old 04-02-2009, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
i said that until i went to the track. Now I want a screamer up top
I could care less about the track though I want something for back and forth to work and with the fam and pulling my jeep occasionally. Its a truck, not a race car.

I do understand where you are coming from though. I had a 4x4 3/4 ton powerstroke for my last truck, it defienately wasn't a race car, but I am a gear head, so it sure felt like one. It outweighed this one by 3000 pounds, got better mileage, loaded and empty, and it would RUN circles around this truck all day. Not kidding, it would leave it in a cloud of smoke, and it weighed 8000 pounds too. I can't even imagine what it would be like in something that weighed half that much.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by sonoma43
wrong....dont "need" a stall with this cam...im running it in a ECSB Z71 with stock converter and its good off the line....need 4WD to hook at that. A 3K stall would put it in the better part of the powerband sure but a stall is not needed. I would reccomend LT's with this cam though
I think Lts will be my next mod, the lpps are cheap enough its a no brainer. Any one got any info on the stall speeds of various options though? I may not need one, but I have access to a lift almost anytime, so if its cheap enough, there is no reason for me to not put it in its powerband.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

JYount, If your looking for a cam that is strictly for a DD and for pulling and a family truck than maybe you should be considering something a bit more tame than this particular cam
Old 04-02-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will be going with the Yank TT3000 when the time comes. I think with this cam in my truck at 5300lbs. the 3K verter is perfect!
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JYount
I could care less about the track though I want something for back and forth to work and with the fam and pulling my jeep occasionally. Its a truck, not a race car.

I do understand where you are coming from though. I had a 4x4 3/4 ton powerstroke for my last truck, it defienately wasn't a race car, but I am a gear head, so it sure felt like one. It outweighed this one by 3000 pounds, got better mileage, loaded and empty, and it would RUN circles around this truck all day. Not kidding, it would leave it in a cloud of smoke, and it weighed 8000 pounds too. I can't even imagine what it would be like in something that weighed half that much.
In that case you should have stuck with the diesel imo. My high compression 6 liter still doesn't have the low end, and throttle response I'd like on the highway. It's going to take more displacement I believe.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
In that case you should have stuck with the diesel imo. My high compression 6 liter still doesn't have the low end, and throttle response I'd like on the highway. It's going to take more displacement I believe.
I 2nd that...it would seem that the diesel is a better option for this application!

Quick Reply: 5.3 dyno results with tr220 cam