Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

6.0L 5-Speed Dyno Day Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE*= Just got back from the NEW dyno run. It both confirmed a few things and put a lot of things into perspective for me. My co-worker brought his 10K mile '08 LS3 Auto Vette with since he found out where I was going over lunchtime.

First of all, here's my BEST Run of the day, Can you say "Torque" for a little motor???

Next we Have here is a comparison of My truck with the factory intake box and tube installed. The lesser of the two powerbands is actually with no intake tube connected and the TB exposed to open air. This proves that the only place a CAI would benefit me is above 5200 RPM's or so. It didn't give me the big increase like I was hoping BUT this is a reality check. The factory CAI is the better of the two choices if you like a quiet engine.:

Then last but not least, here's my 6.0L truck engine VS. my co-workers LS3 vette. I have over 50 RWTQ up to almost 4500 RPM's than the LS3. Same goes for HP. It's at 5200+ RPM's the LS3 takes off. Which power curve would you rather have?

Last but not least I found a bangin' deal on a brand new in the box 222/224 comp cam with a 112 LSA. I got it so cheap I couldn't refuse. As an experiment I just may plop this baby in and see what she does with the 222/224. I definatly know I wouldn't go any bigger than a 224/224. What is everyone's thoughts with the numbers my truck pooped out today?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
12 Second Truck Club

well i guess that other dyno wasn't off.. i think you just have a cam thats really good for torque but HP only goes to about 5500rpm still a good HP number though. now lets see what that 224/224 does? im guessin 385hp
Old 10-15-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Nice curve, You should have started it at 800rpm, LOL

How does it feel on the street over 5500?/ where have you been shifting?
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Junkie

It'll be a 222/224 I'm guessing torque'll go down 20 Ft. LBS and HP up 20 RWHP. What that does for drivability/performance we'll see. I just may end up sticking with the current camshaft yet. It makes the truck a hoot to drive but it'd be interesting to see what it does on the top end...... Cam swaps are so easy on these things it just may be worth playing with.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Driving the truck on the street it has plenty of poop above 6K. I usually shift around 6000-6400 depending how serious I am. With my trans and gears I find myself typically always between 3K-6K unless I'm driving on the interstate. Usually zig zagging in and out of traffic.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, i would think twice about swapping cams. A heavy truck wants torque, don't get sucked into the dyno numbers too much. you may miss losing the 20ft lbs just to gain some upper rpm power.

don't feel bad about the numbers it made, still did good
Old 10-15-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dman
hey, i would think twice about swapping cams. A heavy truck wants torque, don't get sucked into the dyno numbers too much. you may miss losing the 20ft lbs just to gain some upper rpm power.

don't feel bad about the numbers it made, still did good
Yeah, we'll see what I end up doing. Like I said I have a 222/224 brand new that I can get for only $250. I might as well take it, try it, if I don't like it, sell it, put the 218/224 back in. I also wanted to upgrade the oil pump in the truck as well anyways so I may as well try a hair bigger cam. I really wanted 380 RWHP 380 RWTQ
Old 10-15-2008, 07:52 PM
dug
Banned

sounds like a good cam. What lobes are they?
Old 10-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Some solid #'s that we know are not a fluke, and sick torque!

Two things though:

1. Your power test w/o tube and box with a good idea however it was a tad bit flawed when looking at the torque because it did not have the tube there to straiten out the air to the throttle blade. I theorize that with tube and no box you would have seen more power everywhere especially with a high flow cone filter on the end to straiten out the air.

2. On your dyno overlay both curves were based off of speed and would be more apples to apples if they were matched by RPM's.

Either way I have enjoyed this thread thoroughly and look forward to results with the new cam hopefully with and w/o air box!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2manycars
Some solid #'s that we know are not a fluke, and sick torque!

Two things though:

1. Your power test w/o tube and box with a good idea however it was a tad bit flawed when looking at the torque because it did not have the tube there to straiten out the air to the throttle blade. I theorize that with tube and no box you would have seen more power everywhere especially with a high flow cone filter on the end to straiten out the air.

2. On your dyno overlay both curves were based off of speed and would be more apples to apples if they were matched by RPM's.

Either way I have enjoyed this thread thoroughly and look forward to results with the new cam hopefully with and w/o air box!
Agreed. You should have left the tube on.

When I purchased my truck and transformed over to the truck performance world 3 years ago, I had a 4.8 and a Radix MP112. When I cut a 4"X6" hole in the front of the air box there was a very noticable seat of the pants difference from 4500+.

When you just removed the tube, you not alone lost the velocity but are then sucking hot air directly off the radiator.

Here is another manual trans dyno with a 6.0.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...&highlight=L92

Quick Reply: 6.0L 5-Speed Dyno Day Today