Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

6.0L 5-Speed Dyno Day Today

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=hirdlej;4024698]UPDATE*= Just got back from the NEW dyno run. It both confirmed a few things and put a lot of things into perspective for me. My co-worker brought his 10K mile '08 LS3 Auto Vette with since he found out where I was going over lunchtime.

First of all, here's my BEST Run of the day, Can you say "Torque" for a little motor???

What I really like with yours compared to mine is you are right at 400lbs tq by 3800 where mine is around 370tq. Mine didn't peak in torque until 4700. But there is considerable differences in cam and especially the characteristics of the L92 heads.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2manycars
Some solid #'s that we know are not a fluke, and sick torque!

Two things though:

1. Your power test w/o tube and box with a good idea however it was a tad bit flawed when looking at the torque because it did not have the tube there to straiten out the air to the throttle blade. I theorize that with tube and no box you would have seen more power everywhere especially with a high flow cone filter on the end to straiten out the air.

Is this really that crucial? Not trying to be a smartass but trying to learn. What you're saying makes sense but are we splitting hairs here? I'm thinking about a open element air cleaner on an old Quadrajet carburetor. The air comes in from all sides and then immediatly enters through the venturi's. I've never seen where adding a smooth stack or tube makes any significant power difference. Eh I dunno, I think I'm done trying to wring anymore power out of the current combo. Don't get me wrong, it's a blast to drive but I have the inkling in the back of my wind wondering "what if I put 1 larger step cam in...........?"

2. On your dyno overlay both curves were based off of speed and would be more apples to apples if they were matched by RPM's.

I didn't even realize this until after we left the dyno shop. I can assure you though that both vehicles were started with 2K RPM pulls.

Either way I have enjoyed this thread thoroughly and look forward to results with the new cam hopefully with and w/o air box!

Thanks and I hope others found this info useful as well. I can assure you while test driving the truck the other night I removed the MAF and let the air intake tube dangle. After making a few WOT runs I could feel NO seat of the pants increase in performance this way.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm starting to wonder what effects a reverse split camshaft would have on my particular combo..............
Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're really going to like that new cam. I think that below 2500rpm you might lose a bit of torque, but from there on up I think you'll actually have more torque. I also feel it will have 25hp more than you have right now and peak at 5500-5700. With a stick you'll like the higher rpm difference.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zippy
I think you're really going to like that new cam. I think that below 2500rpm you might lose a bit of torque, but from there on up I think you'll actually have more torque. I also feel it will have 25hp more than you have right now and peak at 5500-5700. With a stick you'll like the higher rpm difference.
Hurry up and gets yours done so I can see your power curves
Old 10-16-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess I'm kind of confused with your cam choice. This entire time your reference point was your 468 big block and that torque down low. I remember on your first impressions you said you were disappointed with low end torque, but that it pulled like a raped ape up top. So now you're gonna switch to a cam that reduces your low end even more just because it will increase your top end HP?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hirdlej
Hurry up and gets yours done so I can see your power curves
I'm working on it. Hopefully Friday night I should have it all back together again. The second 6.0L I got is alot nicer than the first I had that had the broken block. It's been back together once...
Old 10-16-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say bring it to a track before you do anything else. See where you should be shifting at with numbers to back it up.
THEN and only then if you still want to swap out the cam again go for it IMO.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I guess I'm kind of confused with your cam choice. This entire time your reference point was your 468 big block and that torque down low. I remember on your first impressions you said you were disappointed with low end torque, but that it pulled like a raped ape up top. So now you're gonna switch to a cam that reduces your low end even more just because it will increase your top end HP?
I want to see where the fine balancing line is on this particular engine combination. I'm not saying the 222/224 is a better camshaft by any means. I should rephrase myself. What occurs up until a certain point (which I'm trying to find) is that the power curves will continue to enhance themselves. You'll see torque remain nearly the same with a very slight loss but extend onward greatly. There's a point though, and at the balancing point you hit the law of diminishing returns. When you hit that point, you will see your torque suffer and your HP become very peaky. Peaky power no good for a daily driven street bruiser. For how good my heads flow, my compression ratio and the long tube headers, a engine like mine would/should have responded a little better I thought. I was looking at a LS2 dyno chart the other day and the thing that keeps bothering me about my combo is the fact that why does everyone's power seem to extend so much further than mine? Even a TR220 in a 6.0L will extend power further than my camshaft. You can see my engine evidently has adequate airflow, it's not choked up anywhere. What I'm looking at after analyzing the graphs is that there's tons of airflow BUT the cam may not have the right valve events to regulate the airflow at the ideal intervals for this particular setup. In simple terms, with as efficient as this motor is, I believe I can still maintain the same torque curve, but just stretch it out longer. I can still get my 400 ft lbs of torque AND get at least 380-400 RWHP. If I'm wrong, then I go back to the 218/224 and shut up and enjoy it
Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, you're powerband is quite odd, I've never seen one looking like it. That TR224 graph you posted peaks around 6000 and pulls all the way to 64-6500 with no power loss. Yours drops off pretty dramatically after it peaks.

Quick Reply: 6.0L 5-Speed Dyno Day Today