Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Graphs | Power Comparisons | Dyno Truck List

Back on dyno shortly. Guesses? Lots of smalls changes.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back on dyno shortly. Guesses? Lots of smalls changes.

Just wondering what everyone thinks it will make. Little run down..

Previously made 546rwhp on a dyno dynamics dyno seeing valve float at 6,600.

Changes:
Turned down LS3 valves (113g to 87g)
New guides
Stepped up to a PRC .675 spring from the .650 spring
Ported the super Vic that was on it
Put a Mezeire EWP on it
Fitted a Morosso 4 vane vacuum pump on it
Going to try and run a set of 1.8 yella Terra's
Have some 2" 2010 Camaro headers I am going to try and fit in (have 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8)
Granateli wires vs stock wires

Will be dyno'd on a dyno jet this time.

Guesses?

I am hoping to do some of these changes on at a time so to speak. Rolling in it will already have:
Ported intake
EWP installed
Vacuum pump installed

Plan is to get the AFR and timing where it should be.

Pull the vacuum pump belt for a pull or two to see if it looses power and if so, how much.

Put the belt back on and add the wires and make a pull or two

Put the headers on which I will run with straight pipes (will test fit before I go). I currently have dual electric cut outs on the Edelbrocks, so it will be a fair comparison. Make a couple pulls.

Put the 1.8 rockers on.

I will clean up AFR between changes if need be. But the step by step will depend on time. That is a lot of changes. We will see.

The other question is, will this be enough to go 9's on motor?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you got valve float at 6600 how tight do you spin it? If you didnt have valve float id guess your mods would be worth 30ish hp, only enough for 2 tenths but you may have alot left if you rev real high.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Probably 600rwhp or so with everything...with the lighter valves and heavier springs you can rev higher, but what cam are you running?

What is this in? Maybe 9s if you are around 3000lb with a good launch. 11s or so in a truck.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics of the vacuum pump?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:18 PM

So at 546rwhp in my 63 C10 it has been the time in my sig.

Quick run down on the motor:
13-1cr 418
PRC 237 heads
The cam is a 254/260 and should make peak power closer to 7k and hold it to 7,400.
Super Vic intake with NX 2 stage plate, 4150 to dominator spacer and Dominator tb
No accessories except alternator and Vacuum pump now
Running E85

Truck weighed 3,175 going down the track last Time out. Converter is a bit tight for motor at 4,600 off the 2-step.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why didn't you start with an LS3 valve (89g) and turn it down to the right size for your heads?

I can see it making 600 at the wheels this time out. Good luck! When does it hit the rollers?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM

I had afr 225's on it, sold them nd bought these heads used. Didn't know I was going to have valve weight issues.

Trying for early next week.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:15 PM

What a lousy day...

7:30 go to get my little 9x5 trailer off the wife's TBSS. As I am backing up following the trailer, I was looking over my right shoulder instead of using my mirrors, met my 67 Lincoln vents bumper right where the drivers door meets the front fender.

Get the truck loaded, finish up a couple little things and head to the dyno.

Get to the dyno and the tune is pig rich on the 1st pull.

2nd pull lean it out a bit and look at the vacuum gauge and it looks like it is pulling 14ish inches, made a little more power but still super fat.

3rd pulled leaned it out a little, go WOT and a plum of smoke from the engine bay. Felt fine and figured it was just the vacuum pump pulling oil mist from the crank case. Not quite. Get out and the vacuum pump belt looks half melted. Pull the belt off and the vacuum pump doesn't rotate. Pull the fittings out and notice one was just a bit too deep and tore up all 4 vanes. There is money going in to a rebuild.

Pulls 4-9 lean it out and add a pinch of timing in it. Get to a point where i don't want to put more timing in it and feel comfortable with the AFR but power is not what I am expecting. Lst dyno made 546rwhp (dyno dynamics) and today I am at 476rwhp on a Dynojet.

Pull 10 I decided to try these new plug wires I got. Granatelli has a video on LS1tech where a wire swap on a blown 2010 Camaro made 20rwhp, put the stockers back on and lost 20rwhp. I laughed about it, but figured they have a lifetime warranty, look decent and are double wrapped in burn resistant material. Sure enough, more than 20rwhp under the curve and 20rwhp at peak. 495rwhp.

Pulls 11-12 I left everything alone but uncorked it. Thought maybe that is where my missing power is. Never before have I lost power uncorked, including tq under the curve. Even last time dyno'ing this same motor with same exhaust. I can't believe my eyes, lost 25-30rwhp on both pulls.

Pull 13 I corked it again through the really crappy exhaust and my power came back. How can 3" necked down to 2.5" through turbo muffles make more? I can't figure it out.

So.. Dyno to dyno, I am down 51hp. Only good thing is it carried power better, it doesn't fall off a cliff at 6,700.

I did not put the 1.8 rockers on.

Pic shows the wire swap.

Something just doesn't feel right to me.
Attached Thumbnails Back on dyno shortly. Guesses? Lots of smalls changes.-image.jpg  
Old 06-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have always noticed a DD dyno read much higher then other dynos on market. the 495rwhp is about right for the combo you currently have thru the drivetrain loss's you typically see
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any way you can get it on the old dyno for comparison. Does it feel strong?

Quick Reply: Back on dyno shortly. Guesses? Lots of smalls changes.