FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

$8000/STS TURBO and more

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Damn David, If you can get all that for 2K, I'll make a special trip up there this weekend and we'll go shopping!
If you can cancel the deal for 6K for the turbo and install, do it. There is a guy on here selling an STS with upgraded turbo, he may even include the intercooler, for 3K. You can do the install yourself. Youve now got 5K. Now see above post and maybe even get an eaton and gears!!
You just have to be a thrifty shopper Troy.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Admin

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts

I would focus on the tranny and the fuel system first, bigger injectors, pump. Does that price include injectors and fuel pump?
Old 02-18-2006, 06:21 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 6L to swap for the 5.3 and a Transgo shift kit for the tranny while you save for the 80E. Seriously, that is what I would do but I'm not the most practical person.

Example: Look at what I'm trying to make fast, a tank with seating for 8.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the trans built, bigger injectors, possibly upgrade the oiling system on the kit, get your self a BOV and boost controller too. A skift kit for the trans may get you buy briefly, just make sure the tune has the shift pressure up to keep those cluthes from smoking under the torque from the turbo.
I'm sure there's more I missed, but everyone else already mentioned most of it.
Oh ya get a radar detector if you aleady don't.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 02-19-2006 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:10 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Get the trans built, bigger injectors, possibly upgrade the oiling system on the kit, get your self a BOV and boost controller too. A skift kit for the trans amy get you but briefly, just make sure the tune have the shift pressure up to kep those cluthes from smokeing under the torque from the turbo.
I'm sure there's more I missed but everyone elso already mentioned.
Oh ya get a radar detector if you aleady don't.
what do you mean about oil system upgrades? are you talking about upgrading the rubber line to stainless braided hose? im doing that myself thanks very much to BLUE O1.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TIM Z
what do you mean about oil system upgrades? are you talking about upgrading the rubber line to stainless braided hose? im doing that myself thanks very much to BLUE O1.
That and the return pump. I have heard of it failing on some but those seemed like isolated incidents. I have never had any issue with my return line or pump failing but it is always in the back of my mind. The other things I'm taking about are the control valve to vent crankcase pressure, I along with other have had oil belch out of the STS control valve all over the engine. There is also the issue of your dipstick popping out becase the crankcase is pressurized I guess. I have seen this as well as Vanillagorrila here. I'm sure others have too.
Not really sure if any of this is related to cold and possible high boost levels.
The higher the boost, the more pressure could potentially build up in your crankcase, if the STS control vavle is not working or can't keep up with the venting duties.
I'm going to be eliminating the return line to the manifold from the PVC on the drivers side of the engine and make some type of puke and return tank for oil belched out under boost for both valve cover sides.
I'll post up when I get all this done.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:15 AM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
That and the return pump. I have heard of it failing on some but those seemed like isolated incidents. I have never had any issue with my return line or pump failing but it is always in the back of my mind. The other things I'm taking about are the control valve to vent crankcase pressure, I along with other have had oil belch out of the STS control valve all over the engine. There is also the issue of your dipstick popping out becase the crankcase is pressurized I guess. I have seen this as well as Vanillagorrila here. I'm sure others have too.
Not really sure if any of this is related to cold and possible high boost levels.
The higher the boost, the more pressure could potentially build up in your crankcase, if the STS control vavle is not working or can't keep up with the venting duties.
I'm going to be eliminating the return line to the manifold from the PVC on the drivers side of the engine and make some type of puke and return tank for oil belched out under boost for both valve cover sides.
I'll post up when I get all this done.
yes, i always worry about the oil line and return pump also, so im installing a braided stainless return line and i have wondered if i should carry a spare oil pump but i guess i tend to worry alot when i shouldnt, but i had oil shoot out also when i have my solenoid valve hooked up and i need to get that addressed also, right now i have unhooked the vacuum line from the manifold to the solenoid valve, please post when you find a solution.my truck runs great and doesn't puke oil since ive unhooked it.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TIM Z
yes, i always worry about the oil line and return pump also, so im installing a braided stainless return line and i have wondered if i should carry a spare oil pump but i guess i tend to worry alot when i shouldnt, but i had oil shoot out also when i have my solenoid valve hooked up and i need to get that addressed also, right now i have unhooked the vacuum line from the manifold to the solenoid valve, please post when you find a solution.my truck runs great and doesn't puke oil since ive unhooked it.
I have been told that the source of some of the oil belching out issues are linked to the PCV side of the system, maybe the STS solenoid valve cannot handle venting this much pressure properly. I'm going to do the PVC side today and rig up something to at least keep the oil pushed out the STS solenoid's filter from getting on my exhaust and causing a fire. Maybe just a soda can around the filter safety tied to keep it upright and level. Sounds pretty hokey, but I do not need a fire disaster. I'll be getting a fire extinguisher too!

Last edited by TG02Z71; 02-19-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Why not just rig up a PCV catch can/ breather? If there is that much pressure building in the crankcase, you could blow out a seal.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Why not just rig up a PCV catch can/ breather? If there is that much pressure building in the crankcase, you could blow out a seal.
Not really sure how much pressure builds up in there, just know the end results. A couple of boost spikes to 15psi may have caused the oil belching out, but since I really don't know the root cause I can only try and treat the symtoms.
I really wonder if the STS control solenoid is working properly all the time. Before I flipped my watesgate over to keep condensation from the exhaust draining into it, I would see some nasty overboosting when it got below 25 degrees here.
But a little boost creep takes my up to about 9.5 psi on occasion, mostly when its really cold and the system is not fully warm.
I am very carefull when the truck is cold but merging into traffic creates higher boost, if I forget to switch my EBC to low.
I just don't want this issue to cause a major problem like a fire! Got to be careful til I get something set-up to control this better.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 02-19-2006 at 07:09 PM.

Quick Reply: $8000/STS TURBO and more