FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

112 Radix + 408 + Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
that's what i was imagining. I agree up front, room is valuable as you'll need liquid to air intercool for the blower, then A/A for the turbo, so room is certainly limited, but I bet...I bet the intercooling of the turbo will help battle some of your roots blower issues. But who cares if you pulley up, I am just curious how that works physically with a blower pullied to only GIVE 7 PSI but have a turbo in front of it giving 20psi.

yes yes yes I agree , it will be tight on room and the roots will still steal some IAT's from you, but I bet it would work in some sense.

Couldn't you just run a big air to air for the turbos, then put water/meth on the huffer?
Old 01-01-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

I have an Alkycontrol kit that I will plumb into the charge pipe before the throttle. Multiple nozzles Wilde style.

I'm reading an article right now in the Ford magazine, their blower was doubling the boost they saw pre-blower, so 22 psi before and 44 psi after blower. They said they had the boost up to 65 psi after the blower, they also stated that the IATs never exceded 120*F. Average IAT was 101-108*.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
Multiple nozzles Wilde style.
That'll work

Those IAT's don't seam to bad... hurry up and throw this thing together, I want to see how it all works out. I might be buying a damn radix sooner than I thought.....
Old 01-02-2008, 02:03 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
Everyone who knows me knows I have wanted to do a compound boost setup for a long time. Was going to do it on my 4.8 when I had the STS and use a M90 supercharger, I just needed more $$
I hear you on that one.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Stoichiometric
I have an Alkycontrol kit that I will plumb into the charge pipe before the throttle. Multiple nozzles Wilde style.

I'm reading an article right now in the Ford magazine, their blower was doubling the boost they saw pre-blower, so 22 psi before and 44 psi after blower. They said they had the boost up to 65 psi after the blower, they also stated that the IATs never exceded 120*F. Average IAT was 101-108*.
This is the #1 reason to never believe 100% of any article.We know for a fact the intake goes a hell of alot higher.I'll believe that they iced the motor between pulls.

Last edited by dewmanshu; 01-02-2008 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Not a sponsor on pt.net, please UNcheck the show signature box when posting on pt.net
Old 01-06-2008, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

As far as 65 psi goes, I don't know what type of motor, compression ratio and rocket fuel would allow that.
I had seriously looked at adding a turbo to feed my 2.4 twin screw supercharger. I had even talked to two different engineers at Autorotor, one you said it should work and one who tired to discourage me. I finally went another route, but here were the major concerns I had.
Fisrt the screw type blowers are extra sensitive to intake air temps. Kenne Bell says that for each degree of air temp above ambient entering the blower there is a 1% power loss. How do you really get air leaving the turbo back to ambient unless you have a huge intercooler before the blower which will still not always return the air temp to ambient.
Second, the superchager heats up the air again so you need a second intercooler. What are the power and friction losses from double intercoolers?
Third, and this seemed the most tricky. The supercharger, with it's near instant boost may require more inlet air flow than the turbo can supply at lower rpm's. The turbo needs to be sized so at lower rpm's it can supply enough air to keep up with the demands of the supercharger. Then at some point when you are really going for high horsepower air flow, the supercharger case will no longer flow enough air to keep up with the turbo's output and the engine's requirements. The size of the SC case will end up as a flow restriction, kind of end up like having to small of a throttlebody.
Those were the issues I could not resolve enough to start dumping money after the dual power adder project. Maybe someone else will work it all out.

Last edited by 408 Sleeper; 01-07-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im no master of thermal dynamics, hell it was all i could do to graduate high school, but, I would personally consider getting a highly efficent radiator, the biggest that would fit on the front end, with the baddest electric fans that will fit on it and have the same air to water I/C for the turbo and for the radix, use the same water, and same radiator. The radix is liquid cooled already, and its not hard to pull it off for an I/C, and I would consider using an electric automotive water pump to circulate the system. Not to mention with the air to water in the bed of the truck plumbing would be easier, and a more direct route.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

The truck will have a big radiator or two and oil coolers on it. It will make some heat when under a full load, but that should be 10 seconds or less. I was planning to use A/A for the turbos due to cost and complexity, and a stock type set-up for the Radix with a larger heat exchanger. I do plan to drive it on the street a lot, I appreciate the ideas.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Wouldn't the radix be sucking on the turbo until it spooled?What kind of problems would that cause, more heat, or maybe some sort of parasitic loss that would bog it down in low rpms hard on the trottle. Or would the turbo kind of suck spool enough to let the s/c get enough air?

It would be bad *** at wot, though.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

The Radix only knows that it has X amount of absolute pressure available whether the restriction comes from the throttle not fully open or obstruction from turbos. I don't think they will cause too much restriction to keep the Radix from making boost. As soon as the Radix gets into boost the turbos shouldn't be far behind.

As long as the Radix bypass valve doesn't see too much vacuum at WOT before the turbos spool, everything should work out.

Quick Reply: 112 Radix + 408 + Turbo?