FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

2002 Silverado ECSB 5.3 Turbo Build 2015

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 10:10 PM
MTS
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Silverado ECSB 5.3 Turbo Build 2015

This is going to be LONG so I apologize in advance but I greatly appreciate if you read it to the end because it is full of a lot of questions as well!

So over the last several months I've been researching parts for a turbo build for my 02 Silverado 1500 Z71 ECSB (5.3 w/ 108,xxx miles) and I decided I would start my build thread when I purchased my first part lol... Ordered a cold air intake today. So this is going to be my official build thread that I'll update as I go along. The major parts aren't going to happen until early 2015 hence the title, so updates will be scattered.

GOALS: I DON'T have any specific goals in mind in terms of power, because I don't really know whats realistic as far as this engine goes. So basically I'm just throwing parts on it and seeing what happens (If you guys can tell me how much HP I can expect from these parts than please chime in)
This truck is my daily driver and I'm not really sure how much drivability is going to remain after everything is all said and done but I guess I'll find out (probably not much.)

BASIC AIRFLOW
To start off I went with a Spectre 9900 Series Cold Air Intake that I got for like $150. Opted to go with this over a K&N unit seeing that I'll just be dumping it anyway once the turbo gets installed.

Pacesetter LT Headers (Heatwrapped) + ORY Pipe

Custom 3" Exhaust

QTP Electric Exhaust-cutout

I'll also be looking to get an inTune by DiabloSport pretty early into the build so I can just retune my truck everytime I add a new part. Hopefully I can get my truck tuned at Midwest Streetcars when I'm ready for a real tune.
Do any of you have any experience with the DiabloSport inTune unit? Let me know.

Suspension
Steering Stabilizers and Anti-sway bars in the back to correct a problem I'm having with the truck diving to either side when driving on these shitty Oklahoma roads.

My truck is a Z71 so the back end sits up pretty high and I don't think it's doing me any favors weight distribution-wise, I also think it will help with this dive/shimmy problem I described earlier. I don't tow regularly or anything but I would like to keep the option available for utility purposes just in case I HAD to. So I think a 4/6 drop would be appropriate for my street/strip daily driving needs and it still leaves me enough room to run a larger tire in the back. I'm not real familiar with lowering kits so I don't exactly know what I'll need to lower the truck 4/6 without buying one of those expensive lowering kits, so if anyone could point me in the right direction it'll be much appreciated.

Wheels/Tires
I'm going to be running Cragar Soft 8's 16x10 on the back and 16x8 on the front. Does anyone know if the 16" have enough backspace to clear the calipers? I read the 15" had clearance issues but idk if the 16" did or not.
And what's a good street tire to run? Something with good traction, I want something that will last as I build more and more power before switching to MT Radials.

Engine + Everything else
FINALLY... the good stuff. My week paid vacation from work is coming up at the end of the month and with no vacation plans I'm using this time to tear down the engine to the block and just do an overall inspection and I'll be replacing the head gasket with an OEM LS9 head gasket and the head bolts with ARPs in preparation for boost.

STOCK BLOCK
Trick Stage 3 Turbo Kit (76mm Precision turbo)
Bosch 80# injectors
Dual Walbro 255 lph fuel pumps
Custom Grind 228/232 .588 / .595 @ 114 LSA
CompCam 7.400" Pushrods
LS7 Lifters
Beehive Valve Springs
Valves (Undecided)

I know I probably missed stuff, just ask me.

I was in kind of a pickle when it came down to the transmission. Ideally I would swap to a 4L80e, rebuild it and be done with it but unfortunately that's just not going to be in the budget. And I didn't wanna be forced to have to buy a 4k stall for my 4L60e but it looks like that's the route I'm gunna have to take. Just rebuild the 4L60e, shift kit, stall and hope that it can hold the power/tq the engine puts out lol

That's all I can remember right now, feel free to ask questions and I'm always open to advice!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 565 Likes on 487 Posts

Go 80e, it's almost a must really. Even a rebuilt and somewhat beefed up 4L60 will just go boom and you'll be out the money. I mean the 60e will last for a little while, maybe a few weeks of fun driving but it will just slip and lose a gear or break everything inside.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
MTS
Teching In

Originally Posted by FFDP
Go 80e, it's almost a must really. Even a rebuilt and somewhat beefed up 4L60 will just go boom and you'll be out the money. I mean the 60e will last for a little while, maybe a few weeks of fun driving but it will just slip and lose a gear or break everything inside.
Yeah I really do wanna go 80e and do it right the first time, at least that's what I told myself when I first started this project lol

But now this actually has me thinking I should just do the 4L80e swap before everything else that way there's no question, I can then get the 4k stall and cam installed and THEN go turbo.

Anyone have an estimate of how much power I'll be looking at making with the setup I listed?

Gunna be running 93 octane, I found 1 of like 5 gas stations in Oklahoma City that carry it and it happens to be less than 2 miles from my house. I considered E85 but I don't know where I can get it around here. I think there's a station not too far from me but I haven't checked for sure, but for a DD I'd rather just have 93
Old 08-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

thats a lot of cam, bro
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a lot of stall for a turbo
Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 PM
MTS
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
thats a lot of cam, bro
Guess you should have been there for my cam thread then. Most said it would be fine as long as I had the stall to match.

Originally Posted by Chevy_King1500
that's a lot of stall for a turbo
Well I made a thread asking if a 228/232 cam would be too big for a 5.3 and all you had to say was "it will fit"
So now that we established that the cam will fit, and if a 4k stall is too big? What would you suggest since we both have the same truck and similar goals in mind.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, i can be a smart ***

triple 12 cam

ls6 cam

212/218 cam

and a 3200 stall
Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 PM
MTS
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevy_King1500
lol, i can be a smart ***
So can I, but I'm trying not to be since I do need all the help I can get lol So you're saying a 228/232 cam is too big for the 5.3, even on a turbo application?

But I'd like something with an aggressive lope, I'm like a child when it comes to that sound, what can I say.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 PM
MTS
Teching In

Small update time.

Got my CAI last week and got it installed, I have to say the difference is night and day, and you'll see why....

Here's a picture of the old filter, looks like rats had been living in the box

2002 Silverado ECSB 5.3 Turbo Build 2015-qzz44cv.jpg

And here's a pic now, much better. I really need to take an air compressor to the engine and clean her up a bit.

2002 Silverado ECSB 5.3 Turbo Build 2015-miyeugk.jpg