FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

20psi on stock 4.8

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20psi on stock 4.8

So after installing my first turbo this past winter on my '01 4.8 RCSB silverado, the blackbear flashscan tune showed up yesterday. Uploaded the tune and hit the key, everything sounded/looked great. Couple of minor problems on the first drive, just a trans pigtail that I forgot to connect so it didn't shift and had no speedo, and an intake port that I forgot to plug. Easy fixes, then took it out again, this time everything was working fine, so I got on the throttle a bit, around 3500rpm it found its sweet spot and immediately hit the rev limiter, but in doing so i'm pretty sure I saw almost 20psi on the boost gauge (mechanical).

Big cloud of blue smoke behind me now, uh oh. Pulled over and found the dipstick had popped out (not the tube itself, just the dipstick) and sprayed oil all over the turbo/turbo blanket/exhaust/wrap.

I have the stock PCV valves teed together and running to a vented catch can. It seems to be running fine, other than the huge cloud of blue smoke from the oil burning on the exhaust, so I am praying I didn't damage the engine. And as for the 20psi? Got back to the garage, and found I had plumbed the wastegate backwards I feel like such an idiot.

Hope to post pics/vids soon, its an all stock 4.8 with MP T70 .96, KB manifold, homemade hot side, intercooled, walbro 255 and 44lb injectors, precision turbo 39mm wastegate with 9psi spring.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjc839
So after installing my first turbo this past winter on my '01 4.8 RCSB silverado, the blackbear flashscan tune showed up yesterday. Uploaded the tune and hit the key, everything sounded/looked great. Couple of minor problems on the first drive, just a trans pigtail that I forgot to connect so it didn't shift and had no speedo, and an intake port that I forgot to plug. Easy fixes, then took it out again, this time everything was working fine, so I got on the throttle a bit, around 3500rpm it found its sweet spot and immediately hit the rev limiter, but in doing so i'm pretty sure I saw almost 20psi on the boost gauge (mechanical).

Big cloud of blue smoke behind me now, uh oh. Pulled over and found the dipstick had popped out (not the tube itself, just the dipstick) and sprayed oil all over the turbo/turbo blanket/exhaust/wrap.

I have the stock PCV valves teed together and running to a vented catch can. It seems to be running fine, other than the huge cloud of blue smoke from the oil burning on the exhaust, so I am praying I didn't damage the engine. And as for the 20psi? Got back to the garage, and found I had plumbed the wastegate backwards I feel like such an idiot.

Hope to post pics/vids soon, its an all stock 4.8 with MP T70 .96, KB manifold, homemade hot side, intercooled, walbro 255 and 44lb injectors, precision turbo 39mm wastegate with 9psi spring.
if you just blipped it its probably ok
Old 05-15-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

How did it feel on 20 lbs?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Lol, I was doing about 70mph and the tires broke loose, and considering I've never owned or drove anything with this kind of power, it felt pretty damn good. I have a feeling this is the beginning of a long, expensive addiction.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I have a feeling this is the beginning of a long, expensive addiction.
You would be correct

How did you hit the rev limiter at 3500rpm?

Dipstick popping out means you pressurized the crankcase...the pcv ports are not plugged back in to the top of the intake or tb, correct?
Old 05-15-2012, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

I meant it went from 3500 to 6000 pretty much instantly. No, the pcv ports aren't connected to the manifold or tb or anywhere they could be pressurized, they go straight to the catch can. So I'm not sure why the dipstick popped, I'll have a closer look once I get it to the carwash and clean up the engine bay.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

We all make mistakes, we just hope they never bite us in the *** I know I had a couple funny ones when doing my Procharger and lucky nothing serious came of them

In for pics/vids

How much boost will you be planning to run once it's plumbed the right way LOL
Old 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

I have a 9.4psi spring, no boost controller. was looking for 400-450 to the wheels. But, I just have the stock tranny right now, so I'll be taking it easy for awhile. Everyone says to go with the 4L80, but there's a very reputable local shop that swears up and down they can build my 60E to handle 500+hp, with warranty too. I'm going to see if I they can give me references to someone who's had a 60E built by them, see how it's holding up.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

I would start reading threads on here. Even built it sounds like the 4l80e is the way to over a built 4l60e.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 9.4psi spring, no boost controller. was looking for 400-450 to the wheels. But, I just have the stock tranny right now, so I'll be taking it easy for awhile. Everyone says to go with the 4L80, but there's a very reputable local shop that swears up and down they can build my 60E to handle 500+hp, with warranty too. I'm going to see if I they can give me references to someone who's had a 60E built by them, see how it's holding up.

Ive had a bunch of guys tell me they could build a 60E to hold up when i had my turbo. But yet none of them would agree to let me borrow one and if it lasted more than 6 months i would pay them.

Go 80E and have fun.

Quick Reply: 20psi on stock 4.8