FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

4.8, mp t70

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8, mp t70

Considering putting a turbo on my '01 RCSB silverado with a 4.8 after reading alot of positive info on this setup. I have found a local Master Power turbo for sale, T70, A/R ratio of .96 on the exhaust and 0.70 on the compressor for $450. After doing some math, it looks like a T70 would fall nicely in the efficiency range of the compressor map.

My future plans are:

-flipped stock exhaust manifolds
-electric fan conversion to make room (and save a bit of hp)
-42lb injectors and upgraded fuel pump
-no intercooler, but appropriately sized boost referenced meth injection
-unsure of the bov and wastegate right now (suggestions?)
-probably a cam and spring swap

I am looking for 375-400 RWHP. 10psi boost max, realistically probably 6-8psi range. I have no plans of making this an 800hp drag monster in the future, just a driver that's got some jam when I want it.

This is my first venture into turbo terrritory, so for those of you who've been here awhile, would this turbo be a decent choice? Any insight good or bad into what I'm thinking here is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jjc839
Considering putting a turbo on my '01 RCSB silverado with a 4.8 after reading alot of positive info on this setup. I have found a local Master Power turbo for sale, T70, A/R ratio of .96 on the exhaust and 0.70 on the compressor for $450. After doing some math, it looks like a T70 would fall nicely in the efficiency range of the compressor map.

My future plans are:

-flipped stock exhaust manifolds
-electric fan conversion to make room (and save a bit of hp)
-42lb injectors and upgraded fuel pump
-no intercooler, but appropriately sized boost referenced meth injection
-unsure of the bov and wastegate right now (suggestions?)
-probably a cam and spring swap

I am looking for 375-400 RWHP. 10psi boost max, realistically probably 6-8psi range. I have no plans of making this an 800hp drag monster in the future, just a driver that's got some jam when I want it.

This is my first venture into turbo terrritory, so for those of you who've been here awhile, would this turbo be a decent choice? Any insight good or bad into what I'm thinking here is much appreciated, thanks.
That turbo will work excellent for what you want. I will recommend to save your money on the meth kit and just intercool it the first time. Theres no reason to run a meth kit as a band aid at those power levels imo. 44lb injectors and a walbro 255 will take care of your fuel system. You will not need a cam swap to reach your goal either, but its never a bad idea to swap to at least ls6 springs for boost. As for a bov and gate, tial is hard to beat. Alot of people have been using JGS stuff lately as well, and will be cheaper.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

when you say flipped, are you going to weld an other extension onto the manifold? and sofourth to get it to work..Theres websites on here that sell teh hot pipe side...But dont know what the cost difference would be after you flipped and had it all hooked up..
Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Sounds good. 02Z71, where did you mount your intercooler?

Ya when I say flipped manifolds, I just meant swapped side to side so they point forwards, and welding up the necessary flanges and bends to gt to wherever the turbo will be mounted.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

mine is partially between the frame rails, mounted to the bottom of them. there is basically a piece of 90* angle aluminum welded on each side of the ic with a hole drilled into it, the angle sits against the bottom of the frame rail behind the lower valance and uses factory bolts. you can also put it behind your grille, there are many threads about ways to mount one.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

This is how my bro mounted his intercooler... First post on this page

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...5/#post4805902
Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

That intercooler is slick, time to start buying parts.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Maybe I'm making this too complicated, but I want to build this right the first time.

I want to size injectors, so I used the formula (Horsepower x BFSC) / (number of injectors x duty cycle)

Horsepower - 500 (approx if I'm putting 400 to the wheels)
BFSC - 0.6 for a turbo engine
# injectors - 8
Duty Cycle - 80% (standard rating for fuel injectors)

This comes out to ~47lb/hr injectors. I've noticed numerous people running 42lb/hr units with >500hp. Can anybody shed some light on this? Would it hurt if I put 60lb/hr injectors in to be on the safe side? Thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

You can use the 44lb 8.1 marine injectors if you want to stay near 500rwhp or less. At that power range you will be above 80% IDC though. If you think you might grow in the future or just want to keep the duty cycle down then go with the siemens deka 60lb injectors. The 44lb marines are the same size and connector as stock for a direct fit, the 60's will require different pigtails and the rails to be spaced as they are taller than stock with an EV6 connector I believe. Its not that big of a deal splice the pigtails or space the rails tho.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Slowest turbo build ever!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want 60lb injectores check out Five-0 motorsports as well, they have direct fit injectors for our trucks.

Quick Reply: 4.8, mp t70