FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

4.8 Procharger set-up questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
That helped this thread, thanks for your worthless input
Hahaha man I am definitely laughing now! Bunch of guys arguing online, we just need some boxing gloves so we can beat the **** out of eachother and see who is REALLY right.

A high stall converter responds inversely to load...the more you load it, the higher the deviation from input rpm. So unless its in a 1500lb vehicle, its gonna ******* suck. A 4500rpm stall is absolutely ridiculous on the street, theres no way you could inch away from a stop sign at anything under 3000rpm! I have a pretty loose 2800, and its downright annoying when I can't get anywhere at speed without pushing over 2000rpm. High stall converters KILL city mileage and make for a shitty, semi-unresponsive throttle. A truly streetable vehicle should not have to wait until 3000+rpm to start accelerating! Nor should it put your tranny in the 180° or higher range while cruising in town...

Of course this is all subject to opinion...if you like having to put it to the floor to back out of your walmart parking spot, then more power to ya.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Hahaha man I am definitely laughing now! Bunch of guys arguing online, we just need some boxing gloves so we can beat the **** out of eachother and see who is REALLY right.
woo hoo I am in

Originally Posted by smokeshow
A high stall converter responds inversely to load...the more you load it, the higher the deviation from input rpm. So unless its in a 1500lb vehicle, its gonna ******* suck. A 4500rpm stall is absolutely ridiculous on the street, theres no way you could inch away from a stop sign at anything under 3000rpm! I have a pretty loose 2800, and its downright annoying when I can't get anywhere at speed without pushing over 2000rpm. High stall converters KILL city mileage and make for a shitty, semi-unresponsive throttle. A truly streetable vehicle should not have to wait until 3000+rpm to start accelerating! Nor should it put your tranny in the 180° or higher range while cruising in town...

Of course this is all subject to opinion...if you like having to put it to the floor to back out of your walmart parking spot, then more power to ya.
Excellent advice
Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 AM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

raise your hand if you ever drove a 4500 stall, if you havent drove that high of a stall then dont reply about knowing **** about one!!!!!!!!!!!!

listen to the rest run half decent, listen to the 2% run the best

if you have issues with a 4500 stall then you need a new tuner, if you are pro tuner then you best go back to school.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 AM
blownerator

Hand raised, and we retain some of the top calibrators in the industry. I say again, a 4500 stall converter is bad advice.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 AM
5 year bitches!

4.8s love to spin rpms, if your giong to put a procharger like d1 on a 4.8 you need rpms. a 4.8 doesnt make torque or power down low, it makes it up top. you want to leave at a decent rpm where its going to start ramping fast. 4500 isnt bad at all if in the right hands. if you think its rough then find a new tuner. ive seen alot of the top calibrators work, **** i corrected one of their tunes tonight and gained .5 and 4mph over a one of them so called pro's tunes.

go ahead run too small of a converter with this setup, run shitty gear then cry months later when it doesnt run the number you thought it would
Old 08-27-2010, 12:52 AM
blownerator

I would rather give up 2 tenths and keep my driveability, not overheat my trans and save my gas mileage.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Baltimore Whore

Hahah I would love to through some gloves on and slap the **** out of some of these guys. Yah I said it, internet whatever. A fukn 4500 verter on a daily truck, that somebody has to drive every day is a pita. Will it run better in a full out drag, yah prob so. For a daily no not the case.. I am sure the op is not looking to have a drag truck, is not going to want and spin the *** out of it to get to the store or work. So a 3k-3600 is much more suited to drive daily.. Yes a 4.8 likes to rev. But you don't drag race your truck every time you drive it. If it is a belt way truck all the time, yes lock the thing up @ 55 and roll with it.. But I am sure thats not the case in this thread.. And for sure a huge verter is going to make a ton of heat dicking around in the city driving.. Really lets be pratical here guys. 4500 is not pratical. Is it drivable, ya in some times, but 85% na.. Be real, not a drag truck
Old 08-27-2010, 01:17 AM
5 year bitches!

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I would rather give up 2 tenths and keep my driveability, not overheat my trans and save my gas mileage.
build it right wont have issues. one of my customers ran a 4400 daily never got hot in PGH traffic and it was a PI triple disk.

youll gain more then 2 tenths there sweet heart, then you have another person with a 4500 PI that daily drives his with no issues and big gears aswell.

the first truck spoken ran 456s with 27" tires. also got decent mpg
Old 08-27-2010, 01:20 AM
5 year bitches!

also for a drag truck, id have a higher converter and a brake, then really let it eat leaving 5500-6k
Old 08-27-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangled03gmc
3200 yank here, 410's with 9 lbs, pulls like raped ape.. it's a 4.8 also, just look at my VIN #
The 4.8 and a 6.0 look the same right? VIN definitely gives it away

Quick Reply: 4.8 Procharger set-up questions...