FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

4.8 Procharger set-up questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:55 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Not looking to contribute to the argument as I've never had one that loose (4500) on a street truck, but I'll offer my experience.......

When I originally built my truck 5.7/d1sc/4l80 I ordered a 10.5" 2800-3000 triple disk from PI. Driving it around, you could hardly tell it wasn't stock. Went to the track and I think the best it ran was a 12.7 at 115mph with a 1.9-2.0 60' (no traction issues at all). Truck would not leave the starting line higher than about 2200 rpm most likely due to the weak low rpm power of a small motor with a cam and a vic. jr. intake.

I was not at all satified with these times so I called PI, they recommended a 9.5" converter that would stall a little higher. I installed it and went to the track. It ran 11.45 at 120 mph with a mid 1.7xx 60' (with slight traction issues). Thats a 1.3 second 5mph improvement from just the converter alone. Not one change in the tune up. I loaded the converter to about 2800 rpm on the foot brake and it left the starting line at about 3400 rpm. Driving it around on the street felt a little looser but nothing that was uncomfortable. I had driven 200 mile cruises and lots of city driving with this converter and the tranny never got hot. Taking off normal from a stop light didn't require excessive throttle at all. As a matter of fact, you could let your foot off the brake and the truck would start rolling at idle. No adjustments where needed for idle quality either (other than the idle tuning that was already done for the cam 226/230 114). If I was to build a dd truck with a procharger I would probably run that exact tc again. It was a blast to drive and civil at the same time.

Ultimately it will depend on the trucks intended use. As mentioned in previous posts a converter that flashes 4500 would probably be faster at the track than say a 3000 when using a centri blower. I don't see why you couldn't dd a 4500 either. I mean, if you have a good trans cooler and a good tuner, it could probably work fine. However, the practicality of a dd with a 4500 that only sees the track a couple times a year is zero in my opinion.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlt76028
Dude your making yourself sound pretty ignorant.
A walmart super-tech 4500 will drive differently, sure. Setting the same lockup speed, a reputable 4500 and a reputable 3200 or 3600 are going to drive the same, and draw the same amount of heat, on the street. A converter is to put you in the sweet spot for a launch, we are talking a pc 4.8, let's be realistic, do you think a 3200 will put him there?

You can call it ignorance if you want, but it is more and more apparent as this thread rolls on, who knows wtf they are talking about and who replies to post on ptnet trying to make themselves sound like they can twist a wrench This is exactly why I don't post much here, there is so much bs and mis-information..then people want to get there little internet racer panties in a bunch when called out on it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

03, youre flat out wrong. I cant count on my fingers and toes how many converters Ive had or installed and they all drive different. The biggest change in driving characteristic is the diameter of the converter. If you knew how converter stall speed is adjusted youd understand why your statement is physically impossible. Im in the vast minority here, Ive actually had a 4200 converter back when i was running a stroker and it damn sure drove different than the 3600 I had before it and they were both from the same manufacturer and the same diameter with the same number of lockup clutches. You can quit arguing your point, because this is a black and white arguement, theres no grey area. Youre wrong.

Youre morre than welcome to leave the site if its so horrible, ironically the amount of misinformation posted on this site will drop when you do leave
Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM
doesn't know what quit means

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People I dd a 4k stall and thing feels like is stock prob a lil looser .... I am guessing because of my tuner .... I also rode on skeets trucks and thing don't EVEN FEEl like it has a 4500 stall thing feels stockish ....
Old 08-27-2010, 10:58 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone rush out and buy that 4500 rpm torque converter! We have sponsors on the right who will be more than happy to assist you in your quest!

Me, I wish I could go lower
Old 08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by trever1t
Me, I wish I could go lower
Agreed! Don't really need it with the roots. When I restall with the new motor, it'll be no higher than 2600.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i used to have a 6.0 h/c i had a 4400 converter and man it was a blast to drive and it was my daily driver worked good even daily driving yea the stall sounds big but experience wise its not even close to bad as many of u all think im not arguing or want ppl to argue with me just simply posting up my experience then when i went with the maggie i got a 3000 pi t disk after that upgraded to a pro charger and got a 3600 pi stall dam i wished i have gotten a 4400 with the pro but didn't get to, oh and on the gears i had i think 4.56's with a 28 tall tire is a beast track or street i use to have 410's with a 26 street drag and im guessing the gear ratio is close to a 4.56 more or less but felt bad *** don't fear the gear or stall that's all im saying u wont regret it
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
03, youre flat out wrong. I cant count on my fingers and toes how many converters Ive had or installed and they all drive different. The biggest change in driving characteristic is the diameter of the converter. If you knew how converter stall speed is adjusted youd understand why your statement is physically impossible. Im in the vast minority here, Ive actually had a 4200 converter back when i was running a stroker and it damn sure drove different than the 3600 I had before it and they were both from the same manufacturer and the same diameter with the same number of lockup clutches. You can quit arguing your point, because this is a black and white arguement, theres no grey area. Youre wrong.

Youre morre than welcome to leave the site if its so horrible, ironically the amount of misinformation posted on this site will drop when you do leave
I don't think me or you or any other experienced person could make it any clearer to this guy. He's just a internet know it all. He might feel more comfortable over on ls1truck

Oh and quick, hand raised
Old 08-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These monster torque converters only feel "stockish" till you go back and drive a stock converter!

To the original poster, the procharger is gonna want as much rpm as you can give it so a higher rpm torque converter is not a bad idea for it from that standpoint BUT, and this gets into personal preferences, the higher you go the less drivability you'll have. There's only so much you can do with tuning to make it "feel" better but, it all boils down to what you can put up with and your intended use.

If I were you I'd try to find someone in your area that has a truck with a higher rpm torque converter that would let you drive it. That way you can make the decision for yourself with some first hand knowledge what is right for you. This is assuming you haven't driven one before.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
These monster torque converters only feel "stockish" till you go back and drive a stock converter!

To the original poster, the procharger is gonna want as much rpm as you can give it so a higher rpm torque converter is not a bad idea for it from that standpoint BUT, and this gets into personal preferences, the higher you go the less drivability you'll have. There's only so much you can do with tuning to make it "feel" better but, it all boils down to what you can put up with and your intended use.

If I were you I'd try to find someone in your area that has a truck with a higher rpm torque converter that would let you drive it. That way you can make the decision for yourself with some first hand knowledge what is right for you. This is assuming you haven't driven one before.

Best answer

try it if ya like it buy it

basically it all boils down to what you want out of your setup and how much you can tolerate on the street, personally i have NO issues for what i have and im not afraid to drive it to houston, or La. or wherever i would like.i been in heavy traffic also without any trans heat issues ( where the trans coolers come in ), i barely see 170-180 on any given day. i still get ok gas mileage on the hwy, as for city yeah its not so good but hell i cant stay out of it long enough to find out what mileage i get lol..

once again it depends on what youre after and what you wanna end up with, every now and then something has to be sacrificed rather it be gas mileage or drive ability..

Quick Reply: 4.8 Procharger set-up questions...