FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

4.8 Turbo (Coming Soon) Need Some Critiquing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by black00chev
Which autometer wideband did you go with just for reference?

I believe autometer uses the dynojet stuff.... The old dynojet commander 1 used an autometer gauge.

Smokeshow is right, you can make a ton of power with one 3" exhaust. I'm not saying your dyno numbers will stop right at the point of max exhaust flow through the pipe, those numbers are just general calculations of when the pipe will become restrictive. As usual, there is a ton of other factors involved like max RPM, exhaust temp and velocity, radius of bends, length of pipe, completion of combustion, pipe wall thickness are just a few. (and about all that I understand, I'm sure there are many more factors...)

You can easily go bigger than 3.5", look for some diesel cat back systems. They are typically 3.5" min and really easy to find 4+". Which brings up another point on exhaust size; Why do you think diesel exhaust is so large when the engines are typically the same size litre wise, but only turn about half the rpm?

There is a point of diminished returned with larger exhaust size, at some point the exhaust velocity slows down and the exhaust gas cools becoming more dense... If you really wand 700hp stick with 4" it really isn't that hard to fit... TRUST ME.. lol
Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by black00chev
Which autometer wideband did you go with just for reference?
Part # 3670
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
I believe autometer uses the dynojet stuff.... The old dynojet commander 1 used an autometer gauge.

Smokeshow is right, you can make a ton of power with one 3" exhaust. I'm not saying your dyno numbers will stop right at the point of max exhaust flow through the pipe, those numbers are just general calculations of when the pipe will become restrictive. As usual, there is a ton of other factors involved like max RPM, exhaust temp and velocity, radius of bends, length of pipe, completion of combustion, pipe wall thickness are just a few. (and about all that I understand, I'm sure there are many more factors...)

You can easily go bigger than 3.5", look for some diesel cat back systems. They are typically 3.5" min and really easy to find 4+". Which brings up another point on exhaust size; Why do you think diesel exhaust is so large when the engines are typically the same size litre wise, but only turn about half the rpm?

There is a point of diminished returned with larger exhaust size, at some point the exhaust velocity slows down and the exhaust gas cools becoming more dense... If you really wand 700hp stick with 4" it really isn't that hard to fit... TRUST ME.. lol
Sounds good man! Ill go 4" when I swap turbos. This 60mm turbine wheel is prolly gonna limit my hp a good bit.