FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

408 Stroker Boosted Intake/Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 Stroker Boosted Intake/Fuel Question

Since I'm new to this forum I should at least introduce myself. My build is a 408 stroker motor on an 04 SSS AWD with a vortech v2 si blower, pushing roughly 12 lbs of boost. I'm using an eagle crank, p&p ls6 heads (243s), comp cam- lift 525/532 and duration 216/220, maule molybdenum coated dished pistons (to comp for the smaller chambers in the 243s), fully built FLT level 5 tranny, dynatech long tubes, and volant intake. Nelson is my tuner, and we've got the truck tuned SD (IAT sensor relocated and 2bar MAP sensor form the cobalt) very well- he really is excellent at his job. Through HPtuner emailed logs back and forth to Nelson, he's got this truck calmed down and very drivable. However, the truck is lean at WOT (as expected since my injectors are the vortech injectors that came with the kit- 42lbs/hr). My goals are 60lb injectors as a starting point to richen her back up. Before I buy injectors, I am thinking about an intake manifold since injector sizes vary per manifold. I currently have the stock truck manifold and stock 78(?)mm TB- probably robbing a lot of performance with this TB. Do I step up to an intake manifold like the vic jr, or pro-flo xt with a larger TB when I change the injectors? Which one would work best for my build? The Vic Jr seems like a reliable bet although the 90 degree intake elbow seems restrictive (maybe not as much as I think??). Is the intake manifold swap from my truck to another manifold worth the upgrade (in addition to bigger injectors)? How much would I gain with the vic jr, and/or pro-flo xt? Thanks guys
Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Whats up man, welcome to the forums. Sounds like your building a beast. What kind of HP goals are you looking for with the truck? The first thing I would do is ditch that baby cam for something that can feed that many cubes. Your holding alot back right there. You are going to need 60lb injectors at the least, but if you want to push that 408 much they probably won't be enough themselves. An edelbrock intake setup like your looking at would be pretty useless with the cam you have right now IMO. Another option would be the FAST intake setups or the TBSS intake swap. What are you doing for the rest of the fuel system? Do you have any numbers for the truck the way it sits?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Teching In

HP goals- honestly, I want a little more (haha- anyone on this site ever thought that before?) I was waiting for the cam criticism, it's well deserved but I did not think at first I would be going this extreme route of building a 408 with F/I. My fuel plans begin with 60lb injectors, and then twin pumps with a regulator and fuel rails. As far as the intake goes, the large duration and low lift, as you were eluding to, will not let me take the motor up into the mid 6000s where the intake is most effective. What cam would you guys recommend for my application (boost friendly- and highly drivable) if I were to go this route, and what kind of gains would I pick up? Or, will a bad *** cam, with boost and the stroker blow up my 4L65 too quickly to call it a good upgrade? Also, b/c of the 4.000 bore, will boost in higher rpms start to make me worry about deck height and cylinder/piston/rod problems? I don't have #s on it but dam- it's really strong! Thanks for your response!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnafuel 4303 fuel pump and 80lb injectors will feed a boosted 408 nicely. I ran dual intanks on 12lbs and started losing fuel pressure and that's why I recommend a big single pump.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Launching!

I have a 4303 pump works like a champ even 80+ psi at the rail. For either intake you need a cam saround the 23X-23X Or 23X-24X range and around +-.600 lift. What stall do you have as that cam and intake combo would work with a 3600-4000rpm stall as you dont want to drop below 5500rpms on the shift (WOT) with a big cam and either of those intakes as you would be out of there power bands. Current mods where are you as far as maxing the blower is there rpm left in it at your current shift point?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tarinitup
Magnafuel 4303 fuel pump and 80lb injectors will feed a boosted 408 nicely. I ran dual intanks on 12lbs and started losing fuel pressure and that's why I recommend a big single pump.
Tarinitup did you use a larger feed line. im gonna run 2 walbros with larger line and run a return line off my bypass regulator on a edelbrock lsxt.

402 low compression turbo AWD by the way. The car guys are running this set up to 1000 rwhp. Maybe your feed line was limiting your flow.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:08 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's your budget for the intake? The new fast is real nice but it's $$$. If your on a budget I'd go with the Pro-flo XT
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by nodrok
Tarinitup did you use a larger feed line. im gonna run 2 walbros with larger line and run a return line off my bypass regulator on a edelbrock lsxt.

402 low compression turbo AWD by the way. The car guys are running this set up to 1000 rwhp. Maybe your feed line was limiting your flow.
I ran stock feed cause of the "parish made 1000 HP on stock lines" Bullshit. It was only good for 750rwhp on my setup. I now have a -10 feed and magnafuel with fuel to spare.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Tarinitup ---how much did it cost to run 11s?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
9 Second Truck Club

The cheapest way I got to the 11's on the extended cab was 402 stroker with 200 shot on a 78mm plate. I had 11k on that set-up including engine,trans,nitrous. Since then I have blown up engines, trans, and redone so much that I couldn't give you an honest answer. I gave up on the extended cab on now have a single cab that's still not complete.

Quick Reply: 408 Stroker Boosted Intake/Fuel Question