FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

5.3 600whp

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 06crewcab
What turbo kit would you go with? What brand cam? I have 4.11 heads with a locker. What fuel system? I want to redo the exhaust so what headers? What exhaust? Right now I'm saying forget the price limit I'm just gonna go piece by piece if I have to I'll let it sit until I can install it!
Most on here use KB Racing (Kyle) or Trick Performance (Rick). I have never seen a Spike Performance kit but have read good things about them and their customer service.

IMO If you have an 03+ the Trick coldside is better simply because he offers very large intercoolers(03+ has alot more room in the grill area to fit an intercooler). KB intercooler is between the frame rails (lower bumper area) and you have to use a smaller intercooler to fit there. That being said, KB's kit out there are making some serious power. I was simply pointing out the intercooler locations.

You can't go wrong with KB or Trick. I have had communications with both and they are very helpful. Both have good customer service also.

Again i just don't know anything about Spikes' kit.

Alot have great results with Stock48's cam. "Triple 12" 212/212/112. It's commonly used in 4.8 to 6.0 with great results. You don't want a huge cam. His cam gives the truck low end power which is needed to get our heavy bricks moving but still makes power up top too.

The turbo kit will be used with your stock exhaust manifold so headers are needed. A straight through muffler design is needed. You want a free flowing exhaust. Choke the exhaust and you choke the turbo. Most use a diesel muffler/kit.

Fuel system depends on power goal. For a fun DD, I would just upgrade fuel pump and injectors. This is cheaper than a completely new system but will still work great to a certain power level.

Contact Trick, KB, and Spike. Tell them what you drive, your goals, what you will be using the truck for, and what your budget is. If you need to spend a little less than their quotes, check out On3's kit. NO, its not the same quality of the others but it has its place in this market. Its a budget kit or starter kit for someone with a lower budget or just wants a fun DD. My power goals changed is the only reason i upgraded from the On3 kit. If i was still looking to make 500hp than i would be using it. My truck is not a DD and i'm looking to flat out run now.

The price of the turbo kit is going to depend alot on what turbo you get. Are you going to get a new turbo or buy your buddies? You will need the specs of it when calling about a kit so they can better advise you with a kit to match it.

Just remember, there is not always a "wrong or right " way to do something. You will have alot of decisions to make. You are going to get different advise on what to do. It just depends on what will best suite your purpose and goal. Take everyone's advise and then do your research to see what will be better for you.

Last edited by 03chevytruck; 12-09-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also, your not looking to make a ridiculous amount of power. The power level of 500-600hp is very obtainable with a simple kit so don't over think it to much. Just get in contact with KB, Trick, or Spike. They can have you fixed right up!
Old 12-09-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03chevytruck
Most on here use KB Racing (Kyle) or Trick Performance (Rick). I have never seen a Spike Performance kit but have read good things about them and their customer service.

IMO If you have an 03+ the Trick coldside is better simply because he offers very large intercoolers(03+ has alot more room in the grill area to fit an intercooler). KB intercooler is between the frame rails (lower bumper area) and you have to use a smaller intercooler to fit there. That being said, KB's kit out there are making some serious power. I was simply pointing out the intercooler locations.

You can't go wrong with KB or Trick. I have had communications with both and they are very helpful. Both have good customer service also.

Again i just don't know anything about Spikes' kit.

Alot have great results with Stock48's cam. "Triple 12" 212/212/112. It's commonly used in 4.8 to 6.0 with great results. You don't want a huge cam. His cam gives the truck low end power which is needed to get our heavy bricks moving but still makes power up top too.

The turbo kit will be used with your stock exhaust manifold so headers are needed. A straight through muffler design is needed. You want a free flowing exhaust. Choke the exhaust and you choke the turbo. Most use a diesel muffler/kit.

Fuel system depends on power goal. For a fun DD, I would just upgrade fuel pump and injectors. This is cheaper than a completely new system but will still work great to a certain power level.

Contact Trick, KB, and Spike. Tell them what you drive, your goals, what you will be using the truck for, and what your budget is. If you need to spend a little less than their quotes, check out On3's kit. NO, its not the same quality of the others but it has its place in this market. Its a budget kit or starter kit for someone with a lower budget or just wants a fun DD. My power goals changed is the only reason i upgraded from the On3 kit. If i was still looking to make 500hp than i would be using it. My truck is not a DD and i'm looking to flat out run now.

The price of the turbo kit is going to depend alot on what turbo you get. Are you going to get a new turbo or buy your buddies? You will need the specs of it when calling about a kit so they can better advise you with a kit to match it.

Just remember, there is not always a "wrong or right " way to do something. You will have alot of decisions to make. You are going to get different advise on what to do. It just depends on what will best suite your purpose and goal. Take everyone's advise and then do your research to see what will be better for you.
So I think I'm gonna go with the kb kit, I don't wanna go cheap so I'm going to forget the budget. I want it done right and reliable. I rather double my budget than have something blow because I was cheap. What fuel pump would you suggest, what injectors? What ecu?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fuel pump and injectors depends on how much power you want to make and gas or E85? Use stock ecu.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Keep an eye out in the for sale section for turbo kit and injectors! You can save alot of money and still have a solid system. I wish that's what i had done!
Old 12-09-2015, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by 03chevytruck
Keep an eye out in the for sale section for turbo kit and injectors! You can save alot of money and still have a solid system. I wish that's what i had done!
I definitely want to stay pump gas, closest e85 pump is about 10 miles from me. And I can use the stock ecu?
Old 12-09-2015, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Yes u can use stock ecu
Old 12-10-2015, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lil brother PI
Yes u can use stock ecu
Sweeeeet! Do you know anyone on the east coast that does good work? I'm located down in Miami fl
Old 12-10-2015, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if you're looking for someone to install or just tune, but look up Jay Healy @ Kraftworks in Delray Beach. Can find the number on Facebook by searching Kraftworks. Very humble and knowledgeable guy.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lil brother PI
Yes u can use stock ecu
The reason I ask if I can use the stock ecu is because I want to change to the 4l80e trans

Quick Reply: 5.3 600whp