FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

6 Lbs of boost is not enough

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 04:24 AM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
Rick has the springs, or can get them. Im running 10 psi up here with 42lb.ers and inline 255 boost pump. My A/F is around 10.9 also, which I like to keep it there. The gains from leaning it out won't be as much as bumping up the boost and keeping it rich and more safe. I think my duty cycle was 90%. The diff rom 6-10 psi was huge!!!!. I may have been running more like 7psi, but anyways I dropped 1.5 sec. off my 1/4 mile time. Im still running 10psi, and probably will keep it there for a while. But as mentioned before depending where you are will determne how much fuel you need. At my altitude alot less fuel is required than at sea level.

Go get yourself a boost controller and start slowly bumping up the boost. I think you will be safer having a rich tune and upping the boost , than leaning it out and burning up the motor.
Will have to try my T66 on your truck. I think at 10psi that T62 is about done. 12PSI with the T66 should get you well over 500HP.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stock48
Will have to try my T66 on your truck. I think at 10psi that T62 is about done. 12PSI with the T66 should get you well over 500HP.
Send it my way...i will try it out!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WJ MARK
Rick has the springs, or can get them. Im running 10 psi up here with 42lb.ers and inline 255 boost pump. My A/F is around 10.9 also, which I like to keep it there. The gains from leaning it out won't be as much as bumping up the boost and keeping it rich and more safe. I think my duty cycle was 90%. The diff rom 6-10 psi was huge!!!!. I may have been running more like 7psi, but anyways I dropped 1.5 sec. off my 1/4 mile time. Im still running 10psi, and probably will keep it there for a while. But as mentioned before depending where you are will determne how much fuel you need. At my altitude alot less fuel is required than at sea level.

Go get yourself a boost controller and start slowly bumping up the boost. I think you will be safer having a rich tune and upping the boost , than leaning it out and burning up the motor.
where does the boost controller go? Where do you install it in the system? On the wastegate obviously, but right now the vacuum goes to the WG. Anyone have a picture of their boost controller setup?

I might just go with the 10 lb spring and leave it alone. Not like I am going full throttle everywhere I go, but I like to leave in a hurry when I finally decide to go.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't forget the things that affect afr. Like Wilde Racing liking a rich afr. He's got a garden hose with meth going in. He should probably be around the 10.5 to 10.9 mark. Normal meth users (LMAO) should like a richer than 11.7 scenario as well. My truck with meth feels a **** load stronger in the 10.9 to 11.4 afr area. Without meth, 11.7 to 11.9 is great (sometimes it feels better with a little leaner afr, but I want it to stay permenantly safe). Of course I don't have dyno #'s backing my truck and "feels" statements but I think you'll find this true with most.

slowhawk, your 60#'s use 75% at 7#'s at what rpm? What motor? What's your HP rating at that spec? (RPM?)
Old 12-25-2007, 12:18 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Bring it by! I'll throw that bitch on! Would definately like to see how it acts.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Never go by just AFR!!! AFR and timing go hand/hand.If there is too much timing you can still blow out a piston with 10-1 A/F. Too less timing you can run 13-1 A/F and never hurt anything. I like AFR at 11-1 to 11.5-1 for a safety margin. I also cheated and tuned my timing in while towing an empty trailer on the back to give a good load to it

Your truck will always feel faster as you turn up the boost,till it blows up. I ran 14lbs of boost out of this system no problem for the short period I did.(1 day blew the tranny).I would say it was near 600rwhp by the way it felt and blew off the tires on this pig.

Also keep in mind that alot of people posting here live in high DA area's.Our vehicles put down alot more power due to the dense air year round. 42's aren't going to cut it without meth around here.

Last edited by trever1t; 12-26-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:23 PM
9 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Never go by just AFR!!! AFR and timing go hand/hand.If there is too much timing you can still blow out a piston with 10-1 A/F. Too less timing you can run 13-1 A/F and never hurt anything. I like AFR at 11-1 to 11.5-1 for a safety margin. I also cheated and tuned my timing in while towing an empty trailer on the back to give a good load to it

Your truck will always feel faster as you turn up the boost,till it blows up. I ran 14lbs of boost out of this system no problem for the short period I did.(1 day blew the tranny).I would say it was near 600rwhp by the way it felt and blew off the tires on this pig.

Also keep in mind that alot of people posting here live in high DA area's.Our vehicles put down alot more power due to the dense air year round. 42's aren't going to cut it without meth around here.
I agree. Also I don't trust the AFR gauge 100%. What if it reads on the rich side, and you have one cylinder on the lean side?
Old 12-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Never go by just AFR!!! AFR and timing go hand/hand.If there is too much timing you can still blow out a piston with 10-1 A/F. Too less timing you can run 13-1 A/F and never hurt anything. I like AFR at 11-1 to 11.5-1 for a safety margin.

Understood. With the forum world, I find picking a middle ground for simplicity is best and you are right, lots of variables and different locations cause many of us to run different with the same setups. Too much timing with a rich afr is a rarety, but I understand. I just want everybody to understand one simple thing, if you add meth, you can't use your norm afr gauge anymore. And queit frankly, it's my opinion most don't go rich enough with + 60% meth set ups. Some guys are making 110% DTC's go down to 95% with meth. The disaster is still running a 11.8 to 12.0 scenario in 10#'s of boost, even if that 17* of timing is "low enough" to not cause damage.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 PM

I agree. Also I don't trust the AFR gauge 100%. What if it reads on the rich side, and you have one cylinder on the lean side?
well, a little lean, yeah your right...you need to errr to the rich side. But normally if one cylinder is leaner than the rest to cause damage, it is by alot. Most horror stories come from not the famous #7 but from a bad injector. That's why flow matched injectors are important and being very familiar with your setup, or at least it's needs. You notice a little leaner than normal you should investigate.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 PM
High on diesel fumes

Get some 96# injectors....the highest I've ever seen is 58% with meth and 15 psi on my 408

Quick Reply: 6 Lbs of boost is not enough