FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

90mm ETC Improved Blade Range Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I saw it mentioned that in HPT APP % will never be 100% as it actually represents where you are at going from 1 - 5V rather than physical position.

This is how the 02 APP sensors operate:

"The APP sensor is mounted on the accelerator pedal assembly. The APP is actually 3 individual accelerator pedal position sensors within one housing. Three separate signal, low reference, and 5-volt reference circuits are used to connect the APP and the TAC module. The APP sensor 1 voltage should increase as the accelerator pedal is depressed, from below 1.0 volt at 0 pedal travel to above 2.0 volts at 100 percent pedal travel. APP sensor 2 voltage should decrease from above 4.0 volts at 0 pedal travel to below 2.9 volts at 100 percent pedal travel. APP sensor 3 voltage should decrease from above 3.8 volts at 0 percent pedal travel to below 3.1 volts at 100 percent pedal travel."

The manual doesn't state any voltage values for the newer APP sensors, just that both sensors voltage output rises as the pedal is depressed.

So 50% APP= 2.5V which would be over 100% for an 02 TAC setup. I actually logged around 2.0V for both the 02 and 04 setups. Maybe the 06 APP sensors go to 3.0V at WOT. That might explain why you are logging 60% for that setup.

This would probably also cause an APP out of range error resulting in REP if you tried to use an 06 APP sensor with an 02 TAC module.

Last edited by DrX; 11-30-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:35 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
Well, the PID list I posted earlier was a generic or "unknown" list... that came off my desktop from a generic software download. My 06 truck does not support all of those PID's... especially the ones I am looking for using the licensed software on my laptop . I had a "preload" of PID's that came with my software license I guess. I plugged into my truck to set up a new config file and a few extras (ETC's... few extra I was looking for under different names popped up). Set up the config file and tested... and several did not graph. went back to check PID's again and the extra's that popped up were gone. I am wondering if the 02 TAC is causing unknown errors in communication between itself and the PCM... possibly causing some PID's to become intermittantly available... I speculate of course. Anyway, with the very few PID's that are available to me I performed the first test tonite. I scanned a file with key on, engine off, and pushing the pedal to the floor fast the first time and slower the second time. Notice there is no TPS voltage (yes, the parameter is in the Table). Also notice with the ETC Pedal %... very low. Below is the graph...

Bill

So you are unable to add the ETC PIDs to the Table Display in HPT? Not even ETC TPS1 (V) and ETC TPS2 (V) ? They don't even show up in the PID selection list when your cable is connected to the vehicle and the ignition is on?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Below is all I have... a FAR cry from the generic list I posted earlier in the thread. PID's in red are the ones I am monitoring in the table. I'll send a note to HP Tuners... not sure what they can do though. Was told by a Tuner on their forum that initial list of PID's comes with scanner software and that when you key on and connect any additional PID's that available will be captured and available for use. Either I'm not doing something right, which is entirely possible, or my PCM will not cough the PID's I need...

(edit) also note that my TPS Voltage does not even work...

Old 12-01-2006, 12:54 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Dammit... I should have planned this better... I could have been there helping you yank your tranny while you install my foot pedal and run some scans
no worries bro
Old 12-01-2006, 02:16 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Below is all I have... a FAR cry from the generic list I posted earlier in the thread. PID's in red are the ones I am monitoring in the table. I'll send a note to HP Tuners... not sure what they can do though. Was told by a Tuner on their forum that initial list of PID's comes with scanner software and that when you key on and connect any additional PID's that available will be captured and available for use. Either I'm not doing something right, which is entirely possible, or my PCM will not cough the PID's I need...

(edit) also note that my TPS Voltage does not even work...

Throttle position PIDs(SAE) are for non ETC vehicles. I believe you need the ETC throttle position PIDs which, of course, aren't there.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Hey guys,

I just wanted to jump into the thread to say that I am another person trying to successfully complete this mod. Its for a 04 Silverado SS, 408ci FAST 90/90 LS2 combo. I have the 02 TAC/speartech harness already, and I just order HP tuners with the enhanced IO, so I am not sure I can be of any help. I did take a picture of the throttle body open, with the key on/engine off that I attached. One thing to note is that while it was open I tried to open the blade more than it was, and it threw the "Reduce engine power mode" on the display screen in the truck. The blade also didn't feel like it wanted to move very easily. I am sure it doesn't really help, but just an observation.

BTW was speartech also working on a solution to this ?? I haven't really seen anyone mention it.

I also wanted to say thanks to the guys in this thread already working on solutions
Attached Thumbnails 90mm ETC Improved Blade Range Mod-img_1583.pt.jpg  

Last edited by SuperSporttruck; 12-03-2006 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:48 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

If you try to move the blade manually, actual throttle position will not match Desired(commanded) TP so REP mode is triggered.

Just to update: I replaced the 1 T-tap with a soldered connection for now. I have been driving the truck most of this week, including 200 highway miles this weekend at -4*F ambient, with no issues whatsoever. Blade still opens 95+ %. Logs indicate that I could actually add a little more resistance for more throttle opening if desired but I think it is good where its at.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

I was thinking about this last night, and was wondering if anyone has tried to use an 06 TAC with an 06 Trailblazer SS 90mm TB. Does this mean you would have to use the pedal assembly out of that truck as well ??
Old 12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SuperSporttruck
I was thinking about this last night, and was wondering if anyone has tried to use an 06 TAC with an 06 Trailblazer SS 90mm TB. Does this mean you would have to use the pedal assembly out of that truck as well ??
Does anyone think this will work ??
Old 12-09-2006, 01:00 PM

My understanding is the SSR/TBSS LS2 throttlebody operates electricly in a similar fashion as the Vette/GTO LS2 throttlebody. I know that a Vette/GTO LS2 throttlebody will NOT work with my 06 foot pedal and 02 TAC. Looking at the schematics doesn't look like it would work with an 06 TAC... so I have not tried it. One thing is for certain... the truck throttlebody part number is the same from 03-07. For 07 this part number applies to the Classic (old) body style trucks only. GM has fooled with several different ways of controlling/monitoring that throttlebody throughout those years. But in the end its the same throttlebody. Add in a throttlebody like the LS2 SSR/TBSS or LS2 Vette/GTO and it gets confusing real quick on which years will tolerate different TAC's, foot pedals, etc.
I'll bet nobody has tried what you are suggesting. But then again alot of folks have poured over the entire circuit with schematics up to 06...
Bill

Quick Reply: 90mm ETC Improved Blade Range Mod