FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

90mm TB on 01' 5.3L cable driven TB w/ pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 11:17 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TURBO8, yeah that fool is booked solid. I called him about 3 weeks ago though and told him to set some time aside for me. Since the truck wasn't truely finished when I picked it up the first time we knew it would be back in there soon.

Richard, The biggest reason I did the work with the tube installed is because I dont have a vise in my garage and the thought of all that grinding with no way to hold the tube steady wasnt very appealing. So i just stuck 2 rags down the J-Tubeand used some paper towel to plug the small hole in the bopttom right and went to work. I'm just going to have to be VERY meticulous durring the vacuum phase and all should be well.

In all I am glad I didnt get the even larger Starr TB. The way the GEN III TB bolt patern lines up with the J-Tube I would have had to grind into the top of the tube and the walls would have been dangerously thin. Even now there is no lip at all on most of the top portion of the tube.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:55 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the 90mm TB mod is getting pretty popular. Does it need tuning?
Old 04-01-2006, 06:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by BigTex
Looks like the 90mm TB mod is getting pretty popular. Does it need tuning?

I havn't started it yet. I am being vert meticulous in cleaning everything up and then cleaning it up again. The aluminum shards have my skurd. lol

I bet it will because I noticed the idle hole in the blade is smaller than my stock one and I already had idling issues because I'm SD but only using a 1bar MAP right now till I can get back in with Rick to tune the rest of it
Old 04-01-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

I know nothing from nothing but from what I got from the post is you don't have to do any tuneing but to get the max benifit from it you will need to tune. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in
Old 04-01-2006, 06:08 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I think he meant tuning for idle.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:14 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what I meant.

I'm curious to know if your IATs change from the 90mm. Honestly, I haven't noticed an IAT change yet, but I haven't really been beating on mine hard lately. Not many WOT logs to compare with yet.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Nice write up man! That's very helpful for us cable TB guys. Keep us posted on what changes need to be made to make it idle.

Also what did you do to the gasket/o-ring to get it to seal? Does the radix J-tube have a conventional gen 3 TB gasket? Does the NW TB come with a new one or something?
Old 04-03-2006, 09:47 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by vanillagorilla
Nice write up man! That's very helpful for us cable TB guys. Keep us posted on what changes need to be made to make it idle.

Also what did you do to the gasket/o-ring to get it to seal? Does the radix J-tube have a conventional gen 3 TB gasket? Does the NW TB come with a new one or something?
The only thing stopping me from firing it up right now is the gasket. Magnacharger supplies a special gasket to use with the J-Tube so when I removed my stock TB the gasket ripped and I have to make another one. I'll be going to the parts store today and see if they have some gasket material. Since I cant get an appointment for a retune till the end of the month I may just stick the stocker back on for now to avoid idling issues or hurting something from the extra air I'm getting since I'm running on speed density now instead of a MAF.

I'll defiantely add to my first post once I have info regarding idling and such
Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribing....I will be doing this sometime in the near future (NW TB and all), thanks for the writeup! I'll be interested to see how it runs once you get it fired up.

One question - you said you filled in the air bypass...isn't that where the IAC valve goes? I thought there were two bypasses around the TB blade - IAC and EGR. Did you fill in one of those?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:03 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by thunder550

One question - you said you filled in the air bypass...isn't that where the IAC valve goes? I thought there were two bypasses around the TB blade - IAC and EGR. Did you fill in one of those?
The nWs TB has a totally different intake location for the IAC

Quick Reply: 90mm TB on 01' 5.3L cable driven TB w/ pics.