FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

90mm TB on 01' 5.3L cable driven TB w/ pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTex
Looks like the 90mm TB mod is getting pretty popular. Does it need tuning?
As far as idle is concerned for the ETC trucks: The TB calibration should be corrected in the tune and if you are running in SD, your VE table will also have to be bang on in the idle cells.
Attached Thumbnails 90mm TB on 01' 5.3L cable driven TB w/ pics.-etc.jpg  
Old 04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
As far as idle is concerned for the ETC trucks: The TB calibration should be corrected in the tune and if you are running in SD, your VE table will also have to be bang on in the idle cells.
I completely understand the ETC trucks and idle tuning. I've had my 90mm running with zero issues for a while now. I haven't had any issues like you complained about on the efi site, sounds like you had hell with it. (I also noticed you posted my LS2 TB pinout graphic in your post over there)

I made the "does it need tuning" post specifically to F8L Z71 since he had just made the comment about taking it in for tuning. He also has a 2001 manual cable throttle body truck.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:05 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

BigTex:

I realize that you have been running a 90mm TB for a while. Just wanted to add that info as it is important for anyone else running in SD. The 90mm conversion may be more plug n play with a MAF.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:50 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running SD as well with no idle tuning issues. I suspect the physical airflow design of the SSR TB that I have is closer to the trucks original TB, therefore isn't causing a drastic change in idle airflow compared to the vette LS2 TB. I was suprised to see your idle tuning issues when my setup was fine with or without the MAF.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:00 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Looks like the conversion factor for the SSR TB would be somewhere between the 78mm and LS2 TBs because of the smaller radius on 1/2 of the TB. But cold start temp also seems to be a factor as my VE table was derived at average operating temp through AutoVE. First time I fired it up it was inside my heated garage and I didn't notice any idle issues. Even though Desired Idle Airflow and Dynamic Airflow were out of sync the PCM was able to cope with it. Then I let it sit outside overnight at 10 to 20 degrees below freezing. Next morning it started and idled fine in Park but died as soon as I put it gear. There was never a problem once it was warmed up because Idle learning was active over 80*C ECT in my tune.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:58 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, last part of this conversion was completed.

I foudn that the Nick Willams TB is thicker than the stock unit (duh) so that really screws with the throttle cable function since our cable isnt adjustable like the F-body units. The TB has 2 locations to latch the T-cable to but in the low setting the TB blade will sit about 1/4 open all the time and on the upper setting you have so much slack you're lucky to ever see more than 60% throttle.

I went to a buddys performance shop and had him cut a piece of steel and weld it to my stock throttle cable bracket then grind everything down so it looked like 1 piece of metal. Then he drilled to ne mounting holes to fit onto the J-Tube after measuring out the cable to ensure I'd get 100% WOT. It came out really nice and with a bit of cleaning up it will look nice polished up or chromed, or painted

I have a couple pics but I am having trouble with the NIC on the one computer that has an FTP program so if anyone wants the pics or can host 1 just shoot me an email.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:14 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really? I installed mine and I get the TPS to read 100% when I floor the pedal. I'll have to pull the intake hose off ans see if it's really tilting the blade all the way.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by thunder550
Really? I installed mine and I get the TPS to read 100% when I floor the pedal. I'll have to pull the intake hose off ans see if it's really tilting the blade all the way.
Weird. Mine wouldnt work that way. I figured all the older trucks like ours would have this problem. Im trying to figure out why yours would be different?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:23 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure, except that I told Nick that I was putting it on a truck when I ordered it. Maybe he changed the clocking of the cable holes?
Old 05-14-2006, 12:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Probably should have ordered mine direct then instead of through Thunder bleh

Quick Reply: 90mm TB on 01' 5.3L cable driven TB w/ pics.