FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

AEM vs. K&N on an STS.....in the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM vs. K&N on an STS.....in the rain.

I'm putting this in the FI section because that is my setup...

A few weeks back I switched out the K&N filter on the STS with a larger AEM dry filter. Thought I'd give the AEM a run to see how it worked. Inital impressions were good. I bought a larger AEM since it was said by AEM that they flow a bit less than comparable oiled filters. I seldom ran the sock on the K&N and don't have one for the AEM.

What I have observed is that the AEM is a bit more sensitive to rain than the K&N was. I could drive home in the rain (about 20 miles) with no issues on the K&N. I did have issues once with it in the rain but that was after about 200 miles of light to moderate rain.

The AEM however seems to waterlog. I can drive home in the rain (same route, similar wet conditions) without trouble. However, the next morning, if I get into it, it will miss and cutout just like the K&N did when it got waterlogged. It will dry out during the day and no problems.

Not bashing the AEM. It is probably a great filter for underhood applications and I like the idea of no oiling. But, I'm probably going to put the K&N back on...and use the sock when necesary. YMMV