FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Alky Injection-Compensate on the VE Table or PE/BE Tables

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alky Injection-Compensate on the VE Table or PE/BE Tables

This should probably be a "tuning" thread, but I don't want to make it a GM thing. (Tuning sections are manufacturers specific) Anybody throwing alky(Forced Induction section) into their motor has to adjust the rich scenario(Tuning Section) somehow.

How do (or would if you had it) you do it and specifically why? What makes one way better than another. I was pro-PE table adjusting at first. But with 2Bar and having and BE table as well, I have found that it is way easier to adjust the VE table. ESPECIALLY with a wideband. Copy, mulitply %. Just curious if I am behind the times and that's how everyone is doing it, or there is something to a discussion on this. I have heard, dyno shops will adjust your VE table.

If you answer, I wanna know if you have 1, 2, or 3bar as well. Parish you don't count Mr. Multiple VE tables. You are in your own league now. LOL
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I am just attempting to tune for meth. I have a 1 bar MAP on my engine and a 2 Bar MAP for my Alky Control. I am thinking about a 2 bar tune but I have Tuner Cat and don't have any custom operating systems available to me at this time.

I ran a 50/50 windshield washer mix for a long time with my STS meth system but had no way to measure it or tune it so I just ran it as it was and it seemed to do fine. Now I have an Innovate LM-1 and Tuner Cat so I am going to try and tune for my Alky kit I just recently installed. I am going to try using the PE table because it is all I really have available to me at this time. I am going to try to cut the fuel back some and balance it with the meth.

If I run 10 psi without meth I get 4* to 7* KR with an AFR of about 12.4 and two spikes into the high 13s at what looks like the shifts. With the Alky set to Julio's stock settings and a gain of 5 I get no KR but the AFR goes down to 11 on a 5spi run and from 10.8 down to 10.03 on 10psi run and the spikes at the shifts are greatly reduced but not eliminated.

With the gain set at 4 I get an AFR of 12.2 at 5 psi boost and 10.7 at 10 psi boost.

So I can just tune it down with the gain or start to remove some fuel and tune it with the meth again. I lowered the stock setting from Julio from a 4spi turn on to a 3 psi turn on to get it to come on a little earlier for 5 psi operation. I am planning to pull a little fuel using the PE table and see how it works.

Still in basic training so any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mort
I am just attempting to tune for meth. I have a 1 bar MAP on my engine and a 2 Bar MAP for my Alky Control. I am thinking about a 2 bar tune but I have Tuner Cat and don't have any custom operating systems available to me at this time.

I ran a 50/50 windshield washer mix for a long time with my STS meth system but had no way to measure it or tune it so I just ran it as it was and it seemed to do fine. Now I have an Innovate LM-1 and Tuner Cat so I am going to try and tune for my Alky kit I just recently installed. I am going to try using the PE table because it is all I really have available to me at this time. I am going to try to cut the fuel back some and balance it with the meth.

If I run 10 psi without meth I get 4* to 7* KR with an AFR of about 12.4 and two spikes into the high 13s at what looks like the shifts. With the Alky set to Julio's stock settings and a gain of 5 I get no KR but the AFR goes down to 11 on a 5spi run and from 10.8 down to 10.03 on 10psi run and the spikes at the shifts are greatly reduced but not eliminated.

With the gain set at 4 I get an AFR of 12.2 at 5 psi boost and 10.7 at 10 psi boost.

So I can just tune it down with the gain or start to remove some fuel and tune it with the meth again. I lowered the stock setting from Julio from a 4spi turn on to a 3 psi turn on to get it to come on a little earlier for 5 psi operation. I am planning to pull a little fuel using the PE table and see how it works.

Still in basic training so any suggestions will be appreciated.

concerning the lean spikes have you tried bumping that particular rpm cell in the pe table to compensate I would be scared of something like that.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:02 AM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

If you are running an SD setup, you don't really need PE anymore, so I'd adjust for the meth in VE (and turn off the PE).

Otherwise, you'll need to adjust in PE.

I'm 2 bar SD.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
concerning the lean spikes have you tried bumping that particular rpm cell in the pe table to compensate I would be scared of something like that.

mort have ya tried or succesfully tuned your MAF at WOT. Those spikes are in that table more than likley since you are only 1 bar. I say you turn off your Meth and get your WOT smoothed out first. Otherwise, you'll be using the meth to patch lean spikes in the maf. which will just make your good spots rich. my 2 cents.

yeh turbo, I agree.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

I just discovered these lean spikes but since I cannot log the wideband with my logging software yet I cannot tell exactly what rpm they happen at so I will have to guess a bit. MXScan is now available from Monodax and it will enable me to log my wideband with other pids with Tuner Cat and I hope that I will be able to sort it all out.

Yes the lean spikes are definately disconcerting.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mort
I just discovered these lean spikes but since I cannot log the wideband with my logging software yet I cannot tell exactly what rpm they happen at so I will have to guess a bit. MXScan is now available from Monodax and it will enable me to log my wideband with other pids with Tuner Cat and I hope that I will be able to sort it all out.

Yes the lean spikes are definately disconcerting.
If you know they are happening at shift points then you know what rpm to adjust.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 AM

so, my rpm switch (MSD) is bad. I can only throw meth at it via boost. (3#'s) Holy crap without that rpm switch it is a bear to tune the ve table with meth. I keep saying, but I'll say it again, I WANT my VE modifier table back! Low RPM High Load and I am dumping some meth in it. LOL Anybody have a spare rpm controller laying around they want to get rid of? Cheap? Free?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Cool

If you know they are happening at shift points then you know what rpm to adjust.
I think I have it figured out. I will see if this works before I try tuning for the meth. My PE table does not go to a rich enough A/F ratio at an early enough RPM and I am dropping into the higher A/F ratios after each shift. Thanks for the help and advice!