FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Any Supercharged Tuning Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Supercharged Tuning Problems?

For you 2007 and newer supercharged guys . . . did you get your tune spot on so that the engine starts quickly and doesn't have any hesitation?

The reason I ask is that I have a new 2010 Avalanche and I'm considering a supercharger for extra towing omph, but I do not want to ruin the nice smooth factory tune.

I never hear anything good or bad about the canned tunes from Magnacharger.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gregory; 09-25-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory tune is gonna be loooong gone if you install a blower. Imo the canned tune is just good enough to get you to a dyno for a live tune. A reputable tuner should have no problems getting your tune where you want it and if you have a good fuel setup then your I don't see why your truck would be hard to start......
Old 09-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

What exactly do you mean by smooth? If you're towing and you need to get into boost, the transition will be seamless...it'll just pull a little harder. Gear shifts under boost won't feel as smooth, but there's really no way around that without a shitload of torque management.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What I mean by SMOOTH is good running, good starting, no loss of mileage and stuttering under acceleration. SMOOTH.

I had a 2007 Avalanche with a camshaft and both I and the local dyno shop did some tuning, but it was never like stock. Starting was longer, mileage was less, and sometimes there was stuttering (popping) during acceleration. It seems anybody can tune for the dyno and disable codes, but a good running tune takes artful time and solid understanding of all the tables in engine management software.

See, I tow 1-2 a month and can live with stock, but having an extra 140HP that is SMOOTHLY tuned is a joy. My GTO is pretty well tuned. Although it idles at 1100, you can SMOOTHLY idle away from a stop, or mash the throttle at 3500 and go sideways. But the coolest part is that I get better than factory gas mileage on E85. Now the GTO is fairly simple because it is a 2006, but each year the factory adds a table or setting to the engine management system. All those little changes increase efficiency and make for SMOOTH running under all humidities, temperatures and stresses.

There are a few specialized tuners that do nothing but tune vehicles. That is how they make a living and they are very good at all the dynamics of the engine management software. But, I would like to know how good of a tune the Magnacharger people provide. And, I only use them as a "for instance." I've spoken to some of the different supercharger sales reps and it is like dealing with a used car salesman. Nothing is definite, but theirs is the best. Some say DoD is disabled, yet others say it is not. Some say the factory E85 injectors are ample, yet others say "should be okay." The picture starts forming that this bolt-on supercharger is not all plug-n-play. Please keep in mind I am not asking about injectors, DoD, hoses, fit and finish, but just the tune. I hate having to pay thousands for a supposedly complete setup only to end up spending more time and money fine tuning. This is my daily driver, not my project truck.

Last edited by Gregory; 09-25-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts

I've never seen the magnacharger tunes stutter under acceleration. A good tune feels like stock in vacuum, just with 100+ extra horsepower in boost, like you said.

I hope you don't plan to constantly be using all that extra horsepower when towing though. Because that definitely wouldn't help your mileage
Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Smokeshow: If you have your 2008 TVS 1900 tune in HP Tuners format I would love to take a look at it.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, and I asked the dealer about having a special order 2011 Avalanche with a L92 engine, but I was told "no-way." Having that factory 400+ HP engine would eliminate the need for a 320 HP + "supercharger" engine.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

That factory 400hp won't feel like a supercharged engine. Anyway I daily drive mine but it starts and idles fine. I have a cam so it doesn't idle stock but I don't have any issues. Get in contact with Alvin at PCMforless, he has done my tuning. That is all he does.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

sometimes it isnt in the tune but injector selection, Where i was working we intially were using the green top ford injectors, and had this tip in stumble we coudnt get rid of. Come to find out the spray pattern of the injector was the issue, different nozzle injector fixed the issue
Old 09-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ive had my truck tuned by 2 different tuners and the truck ran like ****. Finally got a tuner that new what he was doing and now it feels factory again just with a little extra hp.

Quick Reply: Any Supercharged Tuning Problems?