FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Any tips on cam, springs & other valvetrain, crank pin kit for Radix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did it go TOm? Springs on the truck are a PITA!
we going tuning today
Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Tom, your oil pick-up tube o-ring being red, it should be part number 12584922, unless the part number has changed. Due to you still using a beehive style spring, the valve-seals will be a one-piece seal/seat arrangement, in which case you can just use a socket that will just fit over the outside of the seal, so that you’re actually driving down on the seat. They are a press fit, but it will not take much effort to install them and you will know by the sound, as well as the feel when the seal has seated in the head. If you were to install seals on either an older style motor or if you were installing dual valve-springs that use the separate seat and seal arrangement, I don’t condone installing the seals with a socket, as it can damage the seals. ...
Yes, that p/n is correct. I had to work a bit extra today, so had a co-worker look up phone #'s for 2 GM dealers. I called & found a difference of $2.20 w/. only a call. It pays to call round, even tho I asked for the same, in the same manner.

On the way heading back to work, I called dealer w/. better price again & said to set it aside. BTW, I knew the at other place (higher cost) (we'll call them dealer B), had 2 in stock. I didn't ask qty. at the place w/. better price (we'll call them A). I rush in, wait a few minutes, & I'm on my way. I put the receipt in back of truck (As I didn't want to lose paperwork w/. p/n on it, bla bla. I tuck the O-ring in R shirt pocket for safe-keeping.; cause I figured in back, I'd forgot & leave it or lose it. I drive back to work; both wndows open. Get outta truck at work ( I went 7 miles).

Take a good guess where that O-ring is? Somewhere in those 7 miles!!! So much for a better spot in my pocket. I leave work, see the same guy & ask, did anyone find that O-ring I just ordered? Not yet.

I say, "Let's do this again."
Great news for those reading. That was the only 1 stocked! I said, "u know the next question, don't ya?"

"Yes". If ya need it today, the nearest dealer is ... (of course I knew). When? Thursday. Order it.

And so, that's how u spend $16 & only will have 1 O-ring to show for it.

Originally Posted by 1Bear
I know where you read that, they are just driving them from dead on top of the seals, which I believe you should avoid if possible. It's pretty much otherwise a very good write up and helpful to alot of people.

Now change them damn springs already and keep us updated…….LOL
So, I think I'll start springs tonight. Maybe. How's that for update?

Joe, sounds like u wanna help w/. tuning?
Old 09-07-2010, 04:34 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

That. Is epic.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Richard, have u or anyone ever done any stupid **** like that? U think u have the best of intentions, & then BAM!

I think I have somethin in my PB for this.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

just want to see your blue truck back at the strip...with the maggie....lined up against me
Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

well the first time I did a cam swap I didnt notice the dot on the bottom near the teeth since the chain was covering it up, so I lined up the crank with the alignment dowel on the cam and was then suprised when it didnt start
Old 09-07-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

A helpful member said he used Comp 1.75 roller rockers & he also had to modify the underside of the rocker covers to allow em to fit. Their ads say they'll fit under stock covers, but they don't tell you that is only after you have milled off the casting dimples (both sides) and remove the PCV shroud on the pass. side cover.

This had me a bit concerned, but I think I might run em, even if I have to mod covers to use rockers.

Now then, I figure the casting dimples are the 3 round bumps ~ 1/2" in dia. And I think there are also 1 or 2 smaller ones around the edge. Do I really need a mill or could somethin I might have in my toolbox take it's place? Less fancy tool, but gets the job done.

Has anyone ran these rockers or another brand & modded undersides? If so, were they Jesel, YellaTerra, or ...? And pics of your work & tools used to mod 'em.

Last edited by fastnblu; 09-07-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:59 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Crane Gold 1.8 roller rockers fit without any modifications.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a set of covers if you are worried about messing them up...just give me your old ones as a core
Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Crane Gold 1.8 roller rockers fit without any modifications.
Wish I had the dough for those, I'm totally impressed with Crane/Vinci's products

Sounding like an epic affair Tom, hope the rest of the job goes along more smoothly. Might want to buy one oil pump o-ring for every pocket that you have so at least one of them makes the seven mile trip this time

Quick Reply: Any tips on cam, springs & other valvetrain, crank pin kit for Radix?