FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

any toyota tacoma 05+ owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any toyota tacoma 05+ owners?

anybody here with a toyota tacoma 2005+? i've had one for a year now and have found out how to try and make it fast. just wondering if anybody else here wants to do theirs.

Last edited by badass03taco; 01-28-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: .....
Old 01-28-2009, 08:40 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

looks awesome, is it quick?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 AM
12 Second Truck Club

They are finally making a blower for the new ones huh. I had a TRD supercharger on my 01 tacoma and wifes 99 4-runner. They really helped out the old 3.4 V6 but they are still slow. How much boost you running 6psi???
Old 01-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Teching In

the new superchargers are a WHOLE lot different than the old ones for the older V6. the main problem with the old ones was that the TRD supercharger ran lean all the time because there was no way to compensate for the boost since it kept stock injectors. those engines made a good bit of torque with the S/C but were so lean they didnt really do anything but ping and lose top end.

the new ones are radically different, eaton S/C, water/air intercooler, huge injectors, reflash to compensate for larger injectors and to pull timing. the new ones are torque monsters.

"is it quick" <<-- well mine is the fastest 05+ tacoma in the US right now. there are about 5 trucks making more power, but cant run long enough to save their life. one in kyle texas is about the closest to out-running my times, but he has every modification there is, and is running a standalone to tune with. i'm still on the factory ECU with a reflash. there is a twin turbo set-up in miami but he keeps blowing bottom ends or trannys and has never been on a strip. the twin turbo is the most powerful any of the new 1GR-FE motors have been pushed and he's bendin rods like crazy (422whp) our engines have powered metal rods and are letting go when you top 400hp. we have 10.5-1 compression and all powered metal internals.

the new TRD units come factory with 5.5psi, and reach it around 1800rpms. my truck makes its max torque (390ft/lbs) at 2200rpm. they have an upper pulley that gives you 8psi, and a lower that will net you 10, but you have to have the $2000 dollar stand alone to tune for the pulleys. and i dont have the stand alone yet, i have one ofthe pulleys but i wont install it till i get the standalone.

my truck is by no means fast, its run a 13.1 1/4 mile on nitrous, but thats still the fastest 05+ tacoma so far. TRD and URD both have supercharger set-ups for these trucks, the URD is a centrifugal unit and takes time to spool. the TRD is instant power. i plan on doing the upper and possibly the lower pulley wen my warranty runs out, by then i'll have paid the truck off and wont feel so bad about going in the engine with some forged internals and 10psi wont blow the bottom end up

EDITED on june 17th:

there are now trucks that are running faster 1/4 mile times than me i am by no means the fastest one of this kind. my times still stand and there is a twin turbo guy running faster than me now.

Last edited by badass03taco; 06-17-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

We have been working on a 07' Tundra with the TRD kit, it made 444/450 to the tires last week on the dynojet. Should run pretty good at the track this spring.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hellbents10
We have been working on a 07' Tundra with the TRD kit, it made 444/450 to the tires last week on the dynojet. Should run pretty good at the track this spring.
I heard they are not tunable??? and TRD mad limits the power output to not warranty stuff.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Teching In

toyota gave edmunds a stock reg cab tundra, and had the S/C installed so edmunds could do a write up. they aslo added 22in wheels and sway bars and big brakes, the tundra ran a 13.1 1/4 mile with no extra power adders. just bolted up the TRD S/C and ride out. i've seen one in person in little rock and it flat out hauls on the street. they spin so badly from 500+ ft/lbs torque that people are having traction control somehow step in at 50+mph and shut the truck down. if you haven't already seen it, you will. when ambient temps are in the 50s or below, and you lay into it and spin upwards of 50mph those trucks act funky. but they haul butt when you fix it. URD has a tundra they've built and have been the only company to fix the ECU glitch. if you run into anything they can help out. they are toyota gurus.

BTW: a set of doug thorley long tube headers gave the URD tundra with the TRD S/C an additional 40whp. you might look into a set of those as well.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM
Teching In

they are not tunable, the toyota ecu is not flashable like ford dodge GM so you cant hook up a programmer and flash away and change things. toyota does de-tune them quite a bit to keep you from destroying the engine. the factory re-flash erases the factory timing curve and gives you two new timing curves, oone that runs under normal conditions giving you the most h/p, and one that activates when a knock sensor picks up ping or knock, this map has some seriously pulled timing and dumps fuel like crazy. the factory re-flash also compensates for the larger injectors and allows the factory o-2 sensors to monitor AFR and keep the truck fat so you dont lean it out and burn it up. most of the TRD re-flash trucks run 10/11AFR. most every single one runs super rich at WOT. my truck after the re-flash would dip into the 9s AF, after the intake and exhaust my truck ran about 10.5AFR, so i ran a dry nitrous setup to lean my truck out a bit when i plan on racing and help burn all that extra fuel the ecu is dumping in the cylinders. with the nitrous i've managed to lean my AFR into the mid 11s which is about where i want to be.

there are some piggybacks and MAF calibrators you can use to fool the ECU but none work great, the factory computer doesn't like change and usually fights the piggybacks. one company called APR makes a full standalone for the V6 trucks and it can do everything. most folks put it in, and with the general map that comes with it are making 40more WHP just because it tunes the truck up and adds some timing back. the toyota re-flash is super conservative on the timing in both maps.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats on the TRD unit! I've heard they have a great sotp difference due to the torque band. I have an FJ cruiser and when I was trying to find more power in the truck I was pissed at the stupid ecu and non user friendly format. My HPtuner software cost a couple hundred. Toyotas costs almost 2k
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Made in South Korea

Your lucky you have a good supercharger option!

Are you auto/manual 2x4 or 4x4?

Quick Reply: any toyota tacoma 05+ owners?