FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

Any turbo-diesel other than 6.6 Duramax as 5.3L or 6.0L swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any turbo-diesel other than 6.6 Duramax as 5.3L or 6.0L swap?

Hello All.

I posted a while back about the cost of a 6.6L Turbo-Diesel swap and it was huge, to say the least. Lots of work making things fit, not to mention the wiring etc.

So the latest (harebrained most likely, but that is what happens to folks with two left hands) thought I had, as I leafed through the latest edition of Diesel builder, is this:

Are there any decent turbo-diesel engines from other vehicles out there (e.g. Audi for example) which could be gotten for not too big a price from a wreck and made to fit in say a 5.3L or 6.0L Chev? I am assuming that a smaller engine than the 6.6L would get around a lot of the shoe-horn issues associated with that swap, and perhaps the cost would be a lot more manageable.

May be a useless idea, but thought would throw out there for advice. If something could be done for say 5k to 10k, get 25-30 mpg on diesel, and still make say 400-450 ft-lbs of torque (with proper tuning), that might be great alternative to our normal route of slapping on a magnacharger or STS. I know myself with 1 blown Denali, and 1 stock Yukon 5.3 L, I am spending 500 to 600 bucks a month on gas, and it is getting old.

I drove a Grand Am for 400 Km while on a business trip, and it only cost me 40 bucks (at $1.18/L) to fill. I had a moment of weakness (giddiness actually) and almost considered buying one of those little semi-peppy vehicles, but eventually came back to my senses and looked at the safety angle (I like being higher up, having mass and 4wd on my side in summer and winter). So the quest continues to have the best of all worlds.

I bow to the knowledge and opinions of this forum.

Thanks in advance.

D

p.s if this is a totally gump idea, let me know I and will pull thread.

Last edited by Blowndenalixl; 09-11-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:53 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Options?
Cat 3208,
They are mostly found in GMC top kicks and other simi small trucks..
Plus millions out there. Can come N/A or with turbo, about the same size as a old school BB
Down side. No cylinder liners, (AKA throw away blocks)

International T444 (AKA) Power choke.... a.... stroke
Found in UPS, FED-ex, Fords, and most mediam sized trucks.
Plus, a cheap, easy to find, about the size as a 3408
Down side, THEY are JUNK! Unless you like packing injectors (250 each) and cam sensors around. Low HP, They DO NOT like to be over heated......

Old school chevy diesel,
I think it was a conversion from a 350, though it could have been a BB.
Plus, Easy engine to hook to drive tran.
Down side, the only engine that is crappier than the 444.

What year is it? and you just want better fuel milage?
Old 09-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Hey blown. You haven't got this figured yet? I hadn't heard from you for awhile so concluded you were in the garage doing the swap. Did you catch any of the articles of the possibility of GM putting 6 cyl diesels in the yukons and other non 3/4 ton vehicles? I didn't read too much but thought I would mention it. Search should find more info if interested. Good luck dude.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
Options?

What year is it? and you just want better fuel milage?
It is 2002 Yukon stock 5.3 L. Would like better mileage and better torque. A tune and exhaust will get me approx 50 hp but not too much better mpg.

Thanks

D
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by m7 rocket
Hey blown. You haven't got this figured yet? I hadn't heard from you for awhile so concluded you were in the garage doing the swap. Did you catch any of the articles of the possibility of GM putting 6 cyl diesels in the yukons and other non 3/4 ton vehicles? I didn't read too much but thought I would mention it. Search should find more info if interested. Good luck dude.
Hey M7 - how ya doing? Long time no see indeed.

Nah - ain't done the swap yet - too big of $$$$$. Will definitely look up the 6 cyl td thread through. Everyone else is moving to Diesel so it cannot be long indeed.

By the way, I stopped by Campbells and Nolan reflashed my tune, as I guess their latest efforts get even more mpg. So far, getting around 20.5L/100km around the city, and about 15L/100km on highway. So a definite improvement over where it was. You doing better too?

D
Old 09-11-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

A 4bt cummins would probly be a good motor for the swap. It's lighter than the 5.9 I6 cummins and there is a big aftermarket for it..
Old 09-11-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedy02
A 4bt cummins would probly be a good motor for the swap. It's lighter than the 5.9 I6 cummins and there is a big aftermarket for it..
Now I will show off my two left hands What does 4bt stand for? Edit - found some on Google - no worries. People talking about making 400 hp!

And the 5.9 I6 Cummins - was that the one that Gale Banks went 250 mph with at Bonneville, and made 1000 hp with as a daily driver?

Now we're cooking - thanks for those 2 suggestions.

D

Last edited by Blowndenalixl; 09-11-2006 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:15 AM

Whats your budget? I remember paying $6k for a COMPLETE 2003 Duramax motor from turbo to pan when the 01 Dually I was driving had its motor crap out. It was brand new right off the assembly line... only had break-in dyno time. If I remember correctly there was a broker that bought excess motors from GM. This was 2 years ago. Not sure whats available out there now but engine/Allison tranny combo's have got to be even more abundant now.
I can't see why it would be so difficult if you were able to obtain wiring harnesses with the motor/tranny... even if you swap dash harnesses. Check around to see if you can find a rollover truck or something creamed from the side. Can't see it being anymore difficult than changing a C5 from a 6spd to an Auto while still maintaining all vehicle options..

Bill
Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net
Whats your budget? I remember paying $6k for a COMPLETE 2003 Duramax motor from turbo to pan when the 01 Dually I was driving had its motor crap out. It was brand new right off the assembly line... only had break-in dyno time. If I remember correctly there was a broker that bought excess motors from GM. This was 2 years ago. Not sure whats available out there now but engine/Allison tranny combo's have got to be even more abundant now.
I can't see why it would be so difficult if you were able to obtain wiring harnesses with the motor/tranny... even if you swap dash harnesses. Check around to see if you can find a rollover truck or something creamed from the side. Can't see it being anymore difficult than changing a C5 from a 6spd to an Auto while still maintaining all vehicle options..

Bill
Something like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 09-12-2006, 12:50 AM

Bingo!

Quick Reply: Any turbo-diesel other than 6.6 Duramax as 5.3L or 6.0L swap?